First batch questions.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@thetoe
Theres tons out there, but I've been enjoying these two. One of them is a coconut oil soap that is super fatted by 20%. It has to be super fatted that much.

Also, the measurements given are going to produce more than 2lbs of soap, as I used 2lbs of oil, which produces more than two pounds of soap at the end.

This is a good time for you to start looking into how to use a soap calculator, and also looking into the qualities that various oils give to a soap.

If someone could come by and add links to those resources that would be appreciated, I'm having a hard time on my phone.

Question on the CO soap. I see the lye concentration is 33% on that one. Can you tell me why you chose that instead of the default? Thanks!

Just tried the 100% CO recipe posted above. Much easier time of things! And I didn't get burned! I took all of the safety advice this time! Some things i took note of :
1. Brambleberrys FO's smelled soooo much better than the EO i used last time. Like it's not even close.
2. This one went way faster which I'm thankful for. Total mix time was like maybe 6 minutes. Had a nice pudding like texture when I poured.
3. I need a good system of cleaning up!
4. I need more molds!

Thanks again everyone! Hopefully this one wont take a year to cure. Bonus question :
Anyone ever get tempted to put the used equipment in the dishwasher? Would this be a bad idea?

This is how it all begins....
3. @thetoe , after pouring, I take newspapers to wipe out the pot, spatulas, stick blender, etc. and then set it all aside for 1-2 days. Then it will turn to soap and is easy to wash with hot water.
Can't answer the bonus, my house has 2 dishwashers of the human variety except as I've posted ad nauseum lately my new house HAS NO KITCHEN!
We want pics!!

This is how it all begins....
3. @thetoe , after pouring, I take newspapers to wipe out the pot, spatulas, stick blender, etc. and then set it all aside for 1-2 days. Then it will turn to soap and is easy to wash with hot water.
Can't answer the bonus, my house has 2 dishwashers of the human variety except as I've posted ad nauseum lately my new house HAS NO KITCHEN!
We want pics!!

Good idea with the news paper! Makes sense to leave it for a day or so, me being a guy I'm used to leaving stuff dirty anyways lol!

Did a 3rd batch today. Noticed something weird that I'm hoping yall will know the answer to. I used the same recipe as earlier ( 100% CO @20% SF). This time was with sams club coconut oil vs the bramble berry CO i used last time. This oil (sams club) smelled like coconut, where the BB didn't have a smell. The BB also had a slightly yellow color where this one was clear. Seemed to work, but the sams club was slower to trace as well. My question is this. Is the sams club extra virgin CO okay to use?

For reference, this is the oil in question :
https://www.samsclub.com/p/members-...2041058?xid=pdp_carousel_rich-relevance.rr0_1

It's definitely fine to use. I've used mostly oils from Walmart and everything has been good. I've ordered shea and cocoa butter from Amazon and palm from Brambleberry but that's it.

Any store bought coconut oil should be fine to use, as long as it clearly indicates the content in the ingredients list. I buy regular Coconut Oil where-ever I can find it at the cheapest price I can find and have never had any trouble with any of them in soap. But just be aware that sometimes there might be a mix of other oils in some products, so always read the labels carefully. Only once have I used a mixed CO product (it was sunflower oil & coconut oil mixed) which I only used it in soap because I had purchased it for cooking and wanted to use it all up before returning home because I couldn't take it with me on the airplane, but I could take soap in my checked luggage.

This time was with sams club coconut oil vs the bramble berry CO i used last time. This oil (sams club) smelled like coconut, where the BB didn't have a smell. The BB also had a slightly yellow color where this one was clear. Seemed to work, but the sams club was slower to trace as well. My question is this. Is the sams club extra virgin CO okay to use?

Yes, the Sam's Club CO is just fine. The slight difference in color and smell is most likely do to a difference in manufacturer. As long as it is 100% CO, it doesn't matter where you buy it (IMHO).

Back