First batch question...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi there! Welcome to soap making!

Have you googled recipes? Or gotten a basic recipe that you can add some pumpkin to? The basics are super important.

I would suggest that you make a batch w/o pumpkin or spice in it so that you have an idea what to look for when you start adding foreign objects.

Good luck with your endeavors!

I would try something basic at first, maybe a 100% olive oil soap,

Or if You have a Wal-Mart around you, they sell coconut oil... You could try that and olive oil, or that on its own....

Many choices!

A small batch for some is 1 pound. Check out some book at your library to read. And then you can buy the ones you really like. My first bacth had lard, coconut oil, and safflower oils, the ones I can buy locally. Try those and have fun.

don't like 100% olive soap...

I personally don't like 100% Olive oil soap... It is simply to slimy to me... think something from your nose... It is not that I am grossed out and wouldn't use it it is just not my preference... I personally prefer it with coconut and other oils mixed in... other people love it and I would believe that it is good on problem skin... I am lucky I guess that I do have the skin of a rhino... hide really, not skin... I do however try and scrub it as best i can... my favorite is a mixed olive soap then...

Be careful as it actually gets more difficult to make really small batches... the chance of measuring incorrectly increases and also the chance of splatter while mixing... don't go under a pound and i think 2 pounds are easier to manage for me personally...

Also please use protective gear whenever using and mixing lye and never never add water to lye crystals... always add crystals to water and slowly without splashing is better...

I use my Erlenmeyer flask, commonly known as a conical flask or E-flask for mixing lye safely... easy to swirl the lye in the flask without risk of splatter... well wear safety glasses + gloves...! and closed shoes! and over coat!

You can get EO's at health food stores, some drug stores, and some higher end grocery stores. It can get pretty pricey tho. I usually buy online.

eos, new directions(online) or health store. Fos, online, many good places that offer sample size, peakcandles, offer 10 -1 oz bottles for 20$ and 1 ounce is enough for a 30 oz oil batch(hp) and 2 ounces enought for 30oz cp batch. you can order as many of the same frag you want from them, i find it a very good deal, and wholesalesupplies has frag oils with no shipping(yeah), there really isnt any stores that sell fos, that i know of, unless you have a soap making supply store near, you could google it?If you want a good tested recipe, i could give you a bunch, pm me.

Use distilled water.
You could try and make a batch that is unscented and uncolored for your first if you just can't wait.
I'm not the "poster child for patience" and I made my first batch plain jane :D
What oils/butters are you planning on using? We can help you forumulate a very basic recipe using what you have.
Also do you have a scale that measures in grams?

You can find some essential oils at your local crafts store. They don't have much of a selection, maybe 3 or 4 EOs. You'll probably find more FOs there, but still not a lot.

Check out millersoap.com for lots of soapmaking info. Colebrothers.com has lots of recipes. Soapcalc.net is a good place to check any published recipes for lye/water amounts, as well as for formulating your own recipes. The best soapmaking info is on soapmaking forums like this one. Unfortunately many books on soapmaking have faulty info, but The Everything Soapmaking Book by Alicia Grosso is a good starting place. I would encourage you to read, read, read. Here's a good basic formula from Southern Soapers:

Olive oil 35%
Coconut oil 25%
Palm oil or Crisco 40%

Plug this into the soapcalc for the amounts of oils, lye, and water. I'd suggest making a 1 lb/16 oz batch. Be sure that your scale is accurate, and use proper safety procedures. A 9x3x2 plastic drawer divider from Target is just the right size for 16 oz. Good luck!

Just a thought. Peaks has a very nice sweet pumpkin fo.

It would be easier to add this then worrying about adding a can of pumpkin or sprinkling in spices. :)

Jude

peak also has buy 10-1 ounce for 20$ you can pick 2or 3 of the same scent i do it all the time, love peak.

Latest posts

Back