First batch problems

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JDOM

Reaction score
So I have been making my first soap and got it to trace.

Then I added FO and it started ricing. So I kept stick blender going and got it as good as I could and put into the mould - it was quite thick by this stage.

I guess the FO made this happen.

Just curious if I did the right thing or should I have proceeded a different way?

What is it likely to turn out like?

I don't mind, it is only a small batch and I'm hopeful I will learn from this mistake :)

Last edited:
Likely the fo, yes, and you probably did just fine to get it blended and in the mold. You can also just stir it to smooth and get it in the mold smoothly. Without seeing a recipe I can't tell you if it's good or not but you probably did just fine. Congratulations!

Next time, if you want to gauge how an fo will behave you may find it easier if you add the fo to the oils before you add the lye water.

Thank-you both for the information.

So when adding FO to the oils and it is going to misbehave, what does it do? How will I know?

I find adding the fo to the oils does not necessarily stop ricing, which to me is an absolute pain in the backside... I have one fo that I really like but it rices and seperates so badly it takes almost 30 min to get it together. I have to SB put a lid on the bucket, go back stir, and repeat the process until it decides to come together. I prefer to test a new fo in a little lye solution in a small bottle, add in some fo and shake. You will get a good idea how it is going to work. I just tested a new fo tonight and I ended up with a hard lump within seconds. Won't be cp'ing that one :-( oh well, did not really like the fragrance either

"Misbehaving" is either ricing or seizing. If you put the FO in with the oils, and you see it tracing really, really fast, you know to get it into the mold FAST. No waiting. That way you know there is not going to be any fancy swirling or such. If you see it ricing, just keep stickblending until it comes together, like you did.

Whenever I get a new FO I always make up test batches to see if its going to misbehave in my recipe. I get the soap to emulsion and then just hand stir in the FO and watch to see what happens. By making these small batches if I get a really bad misbehaving FO I only end up with a bar or 2 of crapy looking soap. It also allows me to see if its going to discolour or not. I tend to not really trust the reviews about them online as Ive had a fw that say they behave and then BAM soap on a stick. Also keep notes. Lotsa notes

Latest posts

Back