First batch of soap!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soapmomma

Reaction score
Newbie here, I love this forum and I'm so stinking proud that I actually made soap! :D I've been reading lots and lots over the last few days and it's been a huge help to getting me started so I wanted to share my first ever batch of soap. It's a simple Lard,soybean,olive oil combination (all I had on hand) with chocolate mint scent. My swirl didn't go down as far as I wanted it to but I wasn't too disappointed for my first batch.

Chocmintsoap.jpg

Soapmomma said:
My swirl didn't go down as far as I wanted it to but I wasn't too disappointed for my first batch.

Chocmintsoap.jpg
Nor should you be, it looks fantastic

Looks like a lovely batch of good ole handcrafted sap! 8) Nice work!

You should have seen my first batch, actually my first 5 or 6 batches! :roll: :oops: :lol:

Paul :wink:

Looks delicious! There's too many soaps posted here that look delicious. We might start having threads about people who got sick eating soap... ;) ;) ;)

Nice first batch! :)

Thank you all :oops: I just hope they keep their scent :D

Did another batch tonight and have no clue how they're gonna turn out. I started out like the other batch, heating the lard and coconut oil (yep, I got some more oils lol) in the nuker for a few seconds and then added the canola. Started to stick blend a little before the lye and I apparently burned it out with last nights batch! Sooooo not wanting to stir for hours :lol: I broke out the hand mixer and slowly mixed my room temp lye in and whipped it up. It got to a pretty good consistency and smells absolutely wonderful (Orange vanilla creme) but don't know how it's gonna set up. We'll see!

Wow! Fantastic. I would never think it was your first! :D

Digit

Soapmomma said:
Started to stick blend a little before the lye and I apparently burned it out with last nights batch!
You're not the first person to burn out your stick. They are not designed for continuous operation, and even if they were it's not desirable to continuously SB your soap batter anyway. Use your SB for 30-45 seconds at a time, then let it rest 2-3 minutes before using again. If it gets noticeably warm to the touch don't use it until it cools off. I give a blast on the SB, then hand stir and/or just watch the soap for a few minutes, then repeat.

FYI your SB and other similar products have a thermal fuse inside, intended to protect the user from hazard by melting at perhaps 170 degrees and interrupting the power to prevent fire hazard. Unfortunately the thermal fuse is not user replaceable, and the cost to repair it is probably more than to buy a new SB. Even worse, some SB owner manuals (Hamilton Beach) don't even mention that your SB cannot be operated continuously.

Lovehound said:
Soapmomma said:
Started to stick blend a little before the lye and I apparently burned it out with last nights batch!
You're not the first person to burn out your stick. They are not designed for continuous operation, and even if they were it's not desirable to continuously SB your soap batter anyway. Use your SB for 30-45 seconds at a time, then let it rest 2-3 minutes before using again. If it gets noticeably warm to the touch don't use it until it cools off. I give a blast on the SB, then hand stir and/or just watch the soap for a few minutes, then repeat.

FYI your SB and other similar products have a thermal fuse inside, intended to protect the user from hazard by melting at perhaps 170 degrees and interrupting the power to prevent fire hazard. Unfortunately the thermal fuse is not user replaceable, and the cost to repair it is probably more than to buy a new SB. Even worse, some SB owner manuals (Hamilton Beach) don't even mention that your SB cannot be operated continuously.

That is exactly what I did, I ran it pretty much continuously and it was pretty warm when I was done. Lesson learned! Good thing it was only 3 bucks at my local flea market :D

What I don't get is why the owner's manual doesn't caution the user to not use it continuously, and to stop using it if it feels hot. At least there is no mention in the Hamilton Beach that I got at Walmart.

Back