First batch of CP

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uplandermom

Reaction score
I am going to attempt my first batch of CP soap tonight.

I have a mold that holds four pounds of soap, so, I want to make certain I have this correct, so all feedback will be very much appreciated.

If I use 64 oz. of oils, that will give me a four pound batch, correct?

And I add my essential or fragrance oils and additives like oatmeal once my soap begins to trace, right?

From what little knowledge I have.... yes on both. But don't be surprised if someone has a different answer. I have only made three batches. Ha Ha!!! I use a 1lb mold and use 16 oz of oils. Multiply 16 by 4 and you get 64. I have added everything at trace and have had no problems!

How did you measure your oils?

Did you melt them down first or measure them as solids?? Does it matter??

Don't forget about your water! When you say 64 ounces of oil, does that include your lye/water solution? The first couple of times I made soap, I did not consider this and over flowed my molds :x

I didn't melt my oils, I just whipped them at room temperature. I did the RTCP method and it works awesome! I made my lye solution early and let it sit for about an hour, maybe a little less. While it was cooling I measured all of my other ingredients and whipped my oils.

Lane,
I didn't realize that. My oils add up to 16oz and that doesn't include my lye water solution. I haven't had a problem with over flowing yet. Maybe it depends on the mold your using. I have one of Paul's Tog molds, maybe he makes his to account for the lye solution??? Paul...help?

Ya know, I have never been able to figure out the whole water addition into the whole oil equation thing... :?

I mix 29 oz of oil, 1oz of FO, about 9 oz of water and about 3.5 oz of lye. (I run my oils through a lye calc and get more exact numbers...) I come out with eight perfect one inch, five ounce bars... *shrugs* :oops:

That some good math science for ya right there....

CP

I made my first CP batch of soap, using the traditional method. I continue to use that method, but....

I would highly recommend (it's only a recommendation) that you try your first batch, the traditional way, but that's how I generally do things: If it's new, I do the basic way first, then I work on shortcuts and enhancements — RTCP is a shortcut.

Now, I did deviate from the "rule" that you should only try a "simple" recipe, the first time. I'd do the same thing again. But I kept the process basic. No shortcuts.

As far as what I do? I measure my hard oils in a glass bowl, and I measure my liquid oils in a stainless steel pot. I melt down my hard oils and add them to the liquid oils in the pot.

Hey, whatever works, right?? Ha Ha! It's funny, I never even considered adding my water and lye amounts into my total for some reason. It just shows how scatter brained I am!

I am figuring 64 oz. of oils, 9.25 oz. lye, and 22.98 oz of water for my recipe..

I am doing a lemongrass soap.

uplandermom said:
I am figuring 64 oz. of oils, 9.25 oz. lye, and 22.98 oz of water for my recipe..

I am doing a lemongrass soap.
That would give you about six pounds of soap before cure... If your mold is exactly four pounds....you might have trouble with it fitting??

Haha... I hate math! That was one of the best parts about getting a good feel for CP, your numbers just become embedded in your head and you no longer need the calc! :)

Good luck with your batch!

if you need help in fiquring out how much soap a mold will hold this is how ya do it, ( sounds like a song don't it and i sound like my 4 yr old gs talking, geesh)

well any who.

dimensions of your mold ( this is an example of my log mold )

it's 18 inches long, 2.5 high and 3.5 wide.

so 2.5x3.5x18x.40 = 63 oz. of oils that plus the lye liquid, fragrance oil and any other additives i throw in there fit, ( roughly 85 to 86ish ounces depending on what additives if any i add)

barb

giving me 18 one inch slices of soap that weigh out of the mold

Latest posts

Back