First batch of cold process soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McGraysoldtowngifts

Reaction score
So after weeks of reading the forums and endless hours of watching videos on YouTube I made my first batch of cold process soap today. I was very surprised at how involved it really was. I was able to get the lye water mixed without any issues it took about an hour for the solution to cook down to about 125 degrees and then I heated my oils to the same temp. I achieved medium trace in about 15 minutes . Then I added their fragrance oil and all he'll broke loose the soap went from a medium trace right to a heavy trace in about 1.5 minutes . I barely had time to get it into the mold before it was the consistency of a thick pudding . I covered it up with some plastic wrap and covered it with a towel. I checked on it about 2 hours later and it had entered the gel phase and was very warm to the touch. I left it covered and will check back on it in the morning. I will update post with pictures tomorrow when I recheck it.

Formula was

Lard 38% 18.24 oz
Coconut 23% 11.04oz
Olive oil 16% 7.68oz
Soybean oil 15% 7.20oz
Caster oil 8% 3.84oz

Lye 6.76 oz
Water 18.24oz

Super fat 5%

1.0 oz sunset kiwi fragrance oil by artminds

bacon soap.jpg

Last edited:
If you mix the lye first then put it in a sink of cold water it will be ready to soap with by the time you get your gear together and mix the other ingredients.

How on earth did you measure those tiny amounts of grams of oils? Or does your scale measure in pounds?

Last edited:
Yes the scale does measure in tenths of ounces so I can get within .01 of an ounce .
How long should I let it sit before taking it out of the mold ?

Last edited by a moderator:
How long should I let it sit before taking it out of the mold ?

When its ready :) I would guess around 24 hours for your batch if its gelling nice and hot, but anywhere between 8 hours and 5 days is possible...

You want to be able to press on it gently without leaving a dent before unmolding and cutting it. Its a bit of a learning curve. I always unmold a bit too early, realize it's still a bit sticky, leave it some, come back and cut and end piece, realize it's still too soft and come back in a few hours...

Oh and congrats on beating the sudden acceleration blob action :)

I cut somewhere between 18-24 hours. I test push on a corner. If I can't dent it with light-moderate pressure, I unmold and cut. I definitely let it cool all the way to room temperature after gelling.

Well it is two days after cutting the bars and they have hardened up very nicely now. The color has changed to a very nice light pink with some purple highlights I am very surprised as to how much of a change has happened . I have learned a ton from this adventure .

Latest posts

Back