First Batch in the mold!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saltwater Scented

Reaction score
Well, I did my first soap batch in the history of history tonight. I thought I had ordered three molds, but I only got two so I had to use a rectangular individual 12 bar for it.

I made Zany's ever-popular no-slime Castille because I wanted something really simple to cut my teeth on as far as number of ingredients...and then went ahead and sullied the poor lass's honor in my vain attempt to court the soap.

I decided to do a bit of a layer with Mad Micas Envy green as 2/7th of the batch and leave the rest Lemon Cupcake, the one that turns orange when you add it in.

Got my saltwater solution all blended up, thanks to a chemistry stir plate I have lying around. Put most of it in the refrigerator and mixed the 1.7:1 water to lye ratio with the stir plate again. Didn't quite get it stirred as much as I expected, had to use a spatula for a second or three.

SB to about a first timer's light trace...which probably was a strong medium looking back on it. Mixed up my colors individually with a little extra OO...tic tock tic tock...measured out my coconut lime verbena FO...tic tock...hand stirred both colors...tic tock...added my FO...tic tock...and then started to pooooooooooour/PLOP the orange into the molds.

Aye, it be a wee bit thick thar captain.

Plopped a layer of green in there, shook it around to get it evened out...And the rest was all spatula work. Stirred it around a bit with a bamboo toothpick, evened it out with a spatula.

It came out beautifully!! And by beautifully I mean it looked like a drunk tomato ate a blended bullfrog and then vomited its own insides out all over the mold. Old Mike 'Angelo, I surely ain't.

Got it saran wrapped, wrapped in two towels, and sitting in the microwave currently.

Clean up was a blast. I took everything and dumped it into my bathtub and went to town scrubbing with Dawn dish soap. My main bowl was so slick, I couldn't even pick it up unless I cradled it from underneath. Put up my my micas, put up my FO....ummmmmmmm...why is Coconut Lemongrass out when I distinctly wanted to use Coconut Lime Verbena?

Uh huh. It appears coco-lime is a bit of a coward and ran off to hide behind my tea maker. Okay, I see how it is there mister. Next time you're on the front lines there buddy.

Anyway, we'll see how it looks tomorrow night when it comes out of the molds. Hopefully Mr. Tomato's frog daiquiri looks at least 1/37th as good as it smells.

Haha I enjoyed reading that.

Congratulations!

I'm sure it'll turn out better than you expect. Always does.. Looking forward to when you unmold n show us :)

:lol:
Congratulations! You will be in love with it no matter how it looks. I hope you post a picture after it's cut.

It is a time saver to have your micas mixed and your FO weighed and ready to go before you start. I do this while I am waiting for my lye solution to cool.

For my first off-spring, I do love it. He's not a horribly ugly little thing; I'll call him a pug soap. Not pretty, but still lovable. I'd almost say bulldogish but if you've been around a bulldog for more than 30 minutes you'll know they are a little prone to rear end aromatics of the impolite variety. This little pug smells quite lovely.

Attachments

• 20190821_212318.jpg
    20190821_212318.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 40
Congratulations again!

The firstborn is always a different kind of special ain't it hehehe

Now that you're in for the long haul lol, I look forward to seeing the rest of your would be brood :)

Congratulations again!

The firstborn is always a different kind of special ain't it hehehe

Now that you're in for the long haul lol, I look forward to seeing the rest of your would be brood :)

We're going to work at it for at least another 12-18 months to see how much we like it.

I will say this. I've done a good amount of precious metals prospecting. I've gotten on a rope to rappel into mine shafts that we had no idea how many hundreds of feet deep they went. I've squeezed into holes to go into abandoned mines that were so tight you had to exhale to get through. I've dug in a rock pile for samples while hearing the rattlesnakes the whole time. Been down into the bottom of an abandoned silver/gold mine where the oxygen meter was quite adamant the air was a bit on the thin side. Done a half mile hike that took 4 hours one way to get into a mine that isn't on any known map and come out with visible gold in the old miner's waste rock, and never thought twice about the fact the terrain was so steep if me or my prospecting partner slipped they'd notify next of kin when they found our corpses. Been in a mine where if you literally touched the rock overhead, dozens of 40-80 pound chunks would shift.

Marine biology major, so I've been snorkeling with a dozen different species of shark a couple of which have taken nibbles of people to see how they taste. Worked with compounds during my classes for my polymer chemistry minor that are listed as chemical weapons. Heck, I've got 50 pounds of a cyanide derivative in my living room for gold processing.

None of that bothers me a bit. Do it again, and have done it multiple times, in a second.

This, making my first batch, made me nervous last night.

Congratulations! I did my first two batches over the weekend. I want to make more and more and more.............this is a very expensive hobby! I have been doing melt and pour for about a year prior to trying CP. I do body butters and scrubs and lotions bars too.

I give them away but there is only so much soap even your best friends will accept. And only so many days UPS can deliver without hubby finally asking what this all cost.

Congratulations! I did my first two batches over the weekend. I want to make more and more and more.............this is a very expensive hobby! I have been doing melt and pour for about a year prior to trying CP. I do body butters and scrubs and lotions bars too.

I give them away but there is only so much soap even your best friends will accept. And only so many days UPS can deliver without hubby finally asking what this all cost.

I actually find this an inexpensive hobby compaired to some ( try leadlight). It 's only expensive if you make it that way, like anything, you can buy all the extras which are really not necessary. You can always donate soap to shelters etc.

Latest posts

Back