First batch done, but....

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crumberly

Reaction score
After the family went to bed, I finally got the courage and I whipped up my first batch. I was a little nervous with the lye, but used all the safety tips, mixed it outside and it turned out just fine. What I didn't like was when I went to stick blend my oils and lye water, I pulsed it a few times to start, then held it down a bit and sometimes it splashed and splattered the mixture. Nothing too much, but a few drops would go flying and that made me freak a little. :-|

What did I do wrong? I did a small 1.5 pound batch and my bowl seemed way bigger for the liquid. Maybe not big enough though....

Last edited by a moderator:
Was the sb all the way to the bottom? I leave mine down all the way and it rolls the batter up but doesn't splatter. Is the bowl shallow?
You're sb doesn't need to move much. Pulse it, off and stir, pulse it (can move along the bowl bottom but don't lift it up), pulse a bit, stop and stir etc.

How deep was the soap in the pot? Ideally, the soap is at least deep enough to completely cover the flared part that houses the blade.

Wear safety goggles. Admittedly, I don't, and I totally should! You can also get cheap, disposable painter's masks at a hardware store.

Soap burns are uncomfortable, but they are not fatal and not the end of the world. The main concern is making sure you don't get any in your eyes.

I start my stick blender on low and use the high setting after the soap starts to emulsify. Not so many splatters that way.

I did start with the blender right at the bottom and that worked out, but noticed that when I tried to move it around is when I got the splatters. I wasn't sure if the blender could stay right on the bottom and be ok.

The curved part was fully covered to begin with, but as I moved it it would come up a little...and that made it splatter more.

Maybe I'll try a different different bowl for now, I didn't want to increase my batch size by much at this early stage. I was hoping that once I find a recipe I know I love, I'll increase the size.
I ended up getting a tall stainless steel bain marie: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004NG9DTG/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

But you can get paint cups from hardware stores: http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?productId=3735443

You need a mixing container that is taller and narrower than regular bowls if you are making small batches. Even empty lard tubs will work. You will stop splattering if you can keep the head immersed when blending. You may also want to increase your batch size.

Maybe I'll snag one of the buckets from Lowes, can't beat $1.28! Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
+1 for cheap buckets to keep the SB head submerged :) Plus the high walls catch any splatters

SB was "sucking air" in and causing the splatters.
Walmart sells 4 cup measuring cups for $0.77 here and they work for small batches.
I do need to "keep my stick on the ice" or at least very close to the bottom so the batter doesn't splash.

Welcome to the addiction!

Steve

I actually had to stop at the Dollar store on my way home and found a nice 8 cup bowl that is deeper then the one I tried last night. Hoping this helps with the splatters...and I will be sure to keep an eye on the stick dome!

Did you "burp" the sb? It sounds like the issue I have if air gets trapped under the blades

See, Crumberly, we have all been there and had to find solutions. Welcome to the addiction!

Also, I kept an old shower curtain to put over the floor and cabinets where I stickblended until I got the splatter issue taken care of. The dollar stores sell cheap plastic table cloths that will serve the same purpose.

Back