First Batch- CPOP Oil pooling

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlackBoar

Reaction score
Hey everyone!
I just finished my first batch of CPOP soap.
It's 20 hours later and there is oil still pooling in the corners and I'm lost on what I should do. Should I wipe it off and cure? Or should I rebatch?

Recipe:
Coconut oil 30%
Olive Oil 30%
Shea butter 20%
Cocoa Butter 10%
Castor oil 10%

Water 38 %

HOWEVER, I lost oil transferring containers, so when I weighed the final melted oil it was 380 (recipe called for 400 grams) so I added pure olive oil to bring it back up. Soapcalc said it wouldn't make much of a difference with the lye, like .2 grams.

I soaped with my oils at 85 F and my lye at 120 ish. When I was mixing it was about 95 F. It took a little bit to trace and I made sure it was at medium to thick trace before molding to avoid false trace. I then put it in the oven at 170 for an hour 20 minutes.
I think perhaps I overheated it. Or maybe too many lye beads got stuck to my container and it didn't have enough lye.

I've attached a photo of it after the gel phase and it hasn't much changed. The top is generally kind of slimey but it feels quite hard.

oilpool.jpg

Last edited:
The oil may reabsorbed over time. I would leave it for a few days and see what happens. You will find there are many different ways to cpop. Some leave the oven on for an hour, some turn it off as soon as they put the soap in. I would think an hour 20 minutes at 170 would be too long tho. You're just adding a bit of heat to the sapifecation process to force the gel. You don't want to actually cook the soap per se.

Eta: Either your photo didn't add, or my phone won't let me see that it's there so I can't actually look at what you're describing. I'm going off personal experience to what I think you're describing.

Thanks for quick response! It didn't gel as fast as I was expecting so that's why the heat was on. I kept turning it on and off and at some point after gel began the center did expand. I do think I overheated but I wanted to not say that just in case to get a more unbias reaction. I didn't have the oven on the entire time, but I did have it on most of the time.

I will take your advice then. I'm sorry it's not showing up, I put it as an attachment not as a link. I'll try another method then
oilpool.jpg

Last edited:
It overheated. For a small batch like that or for any batch you just want to heat your oven up and shut it off when you put the soap in. There really is no need to cook it. I would just let it sit for a bit and it should reabosorb into the soap. If there's no zap then just set it aside to cure.

Congratulations on your first of which I'm sure there will be more.

Thank you! There certainly will be, I'm set up for HP too.
What I'm concerned about also is if I leave it in the mold for a week will it be very hard and crumbly when I go to cut it?

Hey everyone!
I just finished my first batch of CPOP soap.
It's 20 hours later and there is oil still pooling in the corners and I'm lost on what I should do. Should I wipe it off and cure? Or should I rebatch?

Recipe:
Coconut oil 30%
Olive Oil 30%
Shea butter 20%
Cocoa Butter 10%
Castor oil 10%

Water 38 %

HOWEVER, I lost oil transferring containers, so when I weighed the final melted oil it was 380 (recipe called for 400 grams) so I added pure olive oil to bring it back up. Soapcalc said it wouldn't make much of a difference with the lye, like .2 grams.

I soaps with my oils at 85 F and my lye at 120 ish. When I was mixing it was about 95 F. It took a little bit to trace and I made sure it was as medium to thick trace before molding to avoid false trace. I then put it in the oven at 170 for an hour 20 minutes.
I think perhaps I overheated it. Or maybe too many lye beads got stuck to my container and it didn't have enough lye.

I've attached a photo of it after the gel phase and it hasn't much changed. The top is generally kind of slimey but it feels quite hard.

I would say you definitely overheated it and it separated. You do not need to bake soap like brownies. Pre heat your oven on the lowest setting, when you put the soap in turn off the oven, and leave it til the oven cools.

Alrighty! I'll redo it, trust my gut and not panic about it not gelling fast enough this time. I'll let the forum know how it turned out. Thanks again everyone.

With the high water you also risk overheating. High water/low lye concentration will heat up much quicker and gel higher. Even in the small silicone mold it would have most likely gelled even with just covering and insulating your mold

First, it looks like you have a beautiful, creamy soap so well done! :thumbup:

If I'm looking at the photo correctly, it looks like you've got only a small amount of pooling liquid in the corners so not enough to make the soap un-usable. I would leave it in the mold for about 48 hours then run it under the tap to wash the top (while still in the mold). You've got some beading on the top which could be oil or it could be water/lye. Be sure to use gloves when doing this because it might be zappy. Let it sit about 15 min so the top can dry then unmold and cut. You should be good from there!

Back