First batch and so drying (recipe included)

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soapbar

Reaction score
Hi everyone this is my first CP soap making and I thought it will moisture my skin because of coconut milk but I was disappointed it is so drying on my hand. I notice also some oil on the top of the soap and around it when unmolding. There are some oil in the mold. I didn't add any fragrance I want it to be totally natural so what do you think of my recipe?
coconut oil 30%
olive oil 40%
sesame oil 20%
almond oil sweet 5%
castor oil 5%
super fat 5% coconut milk

The coconut oil is pretty high and that can be drying. Also your recipe makes a super cleansing bar. If you run that through a soap calculator you will see that the cleansing is at a 20 range which is the high end. These are the properties based on your recipe. You should try different combinations in a soap calculator to get the properties you desire.

Soap Bar Quality
Range
Your Recipe
Hardness
29 - 54​
34​
Cleansing
12 - 22​
20​
Conditioning
44 - 69​
62​
Bubbly
14 - 46​
25​
Creamy
16 - 48​
18​
Iodine
41 - 70​
68​
INS
136 - 165​
145​

Hello and welcome. First off soap will not moisturize your skin. It is a wash off product. However, you can make it less cleansing and more gentle. Even O cleansing soap will get your skin clean.
Looking at your recipe your coconut may just be too high for your skin.
How old is the soap? Did you give it an appropriate cure time of 6-8 weeks? Also, I’m one who finds olive oil over 20-25% to leave my skin tight and dry feeling.

What do you mean by 5% superfat coconut milk? Also get bet better help you should post your entire recipe including Liquid and lye.

Finally, since you are new please go to the introduction forum and tell us a bit a like yourself.

The coconut oil is pretty high and that can be drying. Also your recipe makes a super cleansing bar. If you run that through a soap calculator you will see that the cleansing is at a 20 range which is the high end. These are the properties based on your recipe. You should try different combinations in a soap calculator to get the properties you desire.

Soap Bar Quality
Range
Your Recipe
Hardness
29 - 54​
34​
Cleansing
12 - 22​
20​
Conditioning
44 - 69​
62​
Bubbly
14 - 46​
25​
Creamy
16 - 48​
18​
Iodine
41 - 70​
68​
INS
136 - 165​
145​
You are right I agree that it is super cleaning I will try different recipe thank u so much.

Hello and welcome. First off soap will not moisturize your skin. It is a wash off product. However, you can make it less cleansing and more gentle. Even O cleansing soap will get your skin clean.
Looking at your recipe your coconut may just be too high for your skin.
How old is the soap? Did you give it an appropriate cure time of 6-8 weeks? Also, I’m one who finds olive oil over 20-25% to leave my skin tight and dry feeling.

What do you mean by 5% superfat coconut milk? Also get bet better help you should post your entire recipe including Liquid and lye.

Finally, since you are new please go to the introduction forum and tell us a bit a like yourself.
Actually I tried one after unmolding and cutting 'caus I was eager to see how it works I will see after two weeks and make a test.

Actually I tried one after unmolding and cutting 'caus I was eager to see how it works I will see after two weeks and make a test.
Two weeks may not be enough. The longer the soap cures the better it gets and won't feel drying. Members who are new to SMF often report that their soap is drying if they try it right away.

1D37673A-FDFE-4D42-A1F7-C018D9ED144E.jpeg
B0DCA276-8EE1-4AC7-A0E9-8E9127049733.jpeg
FD19CFDD-D108-486B-A661-D394224262E0.jpeg

Latest posts

Back