First attempts at hot process soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gm, I too seem to favor HP and had a question for yall- do you use a heat source (crock pot) or literally just the pot? I have seen a couple of videos with ladies NOT using a heat source and ws curious to try it…

I really love the rustic chunky-looking top for some HP soaps--in an oatmeal soap, the top ends up looking like oatmeal. And with lavender soaps, the top looks a little like rough, uncut amethyst stone. It's appealing in an all-natural, farmhouse kind of way. I've always used a crock pot for HP, but after watching this Tellervo video, a bowl over a pot of water (makeshift doubleboiler) looks so much easier to pour than wrestling with a big, hot stoneware crock.

Last edited:
... a bowl over a pot of water (makeshift doubleboiler) looks so much easier to pour than wrestling with a big, hot stoneware crock.
I don't even bother with the bain marie. I cook my HP soap in a heavy-bottomed SS pot right on the stove. Never had a problem with it, and the heavy crock is exactly why I prefer the stove. :)

QUOTE="LisaBoBisa, post: 934385, member: 54195"]
I really love the rustic chunky-looking top for some HP soaps--in an oatmeal soap, the top ends up looking like oatmeal. And with lavender soaps, the top looks a little like rough, uncut amethyst stone. It's appealing in an all-natural, farmhouse kind of way. I've always used a crock pot for HP, but after watching this Tellervo video, a bowl over a pot of water (makeshift doubleboiler) looks so much easier to pour than wrestling with a big, hot stoneware crock.
[/QUOTE]

Hello, just saw this beautiful video (Tellervo) so graciously done- thanks for sharing- have you tried her method?

I'm not an HP maven, but I've hot-processed enough batches to have a reasonable idea of what to expect. I sometimes use a sous vide method (soap in a bag that's heated in a hot water bath) for small batches. Otherwise I cook HP soap directly on the stove burner, like @AliOop.

I use a large, thick bottomed stainless steel pan. I don't stir continuously while the soap is cooking, but I don't leave the area either. The soap has "riz up" in the pan a time or two when I've had the burner set a little too high, so I keep an eagle eye on it as it cooks.

I've never had the soap burn or stick in the pan -- I think it would expand and overflow first and then make a major mess on the stove. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
QUOTE="LisaBoBisa, post: 934385, member: 54195"]

Hello, just saw this beautiful video (Tellervo) so graciously done- thanks for sharing- have you tried her method?
[/QUOTE]

I'm hoping to try it this weekend! I'll let you know how it goes!

Latest posts

Back