First attempts at hot process soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Decided to try something new this week -- Hot Process. I used the "slow cook" setting on my Instant Pot because I don't have a crock pot. It was fascinating to watch the soap cook, rising up in the pot like some primordial creature from the deep. It was challenging to add my micas and swirl because it gets thick and hard so fast. I plopped them in the molds and banged them down, but there wasn't much I could do to make the tops look pretty. The more I messed with them, the uglier they got, and I told myself I'd never do this again. But much to my surprise, when I cut the bars this morning, they're really not that ugly. I kinda like 'em. Still not sure I'd do it again though.
PXL_20211128_192101784.jpg

@JoyfulSudz I like that it will be ready to cut same day. Some of my fragrance oils last so much better and are stronger in the same amounts in HP. I actually enjoy cleaning up- using the soap residue to clean up the dirty dishes. I like the subtly swirled texture in the soap. I like that I can add things at the end of the batch, and that I don't have to worry about acceleration, ricing, partial gel, separation, etc.

All good features, @Ugeauxgirl , thanks. I used FO in one and EOs in the other two, and I am noticing the scents seem stronger than when I've used the same ones in CP soaps. Hoping they'll last longer too. Cleanup was definitely easier, almost fun as everything bubbled up while I just rinsed off the soap residue.
No worrying about possible acceleration since the entire process is for sure accelerated (haha). I miss the ability to do some of the design work I can do with CP. Maybe I'll pick up a crockpot next time I see a cheapie while cruising the thrift stores and give it another geaux go.

I think those look great! Another benefit is that HP usually prevents soda ash, since there should be no unreacted lye available to turn into ash. I still get some ashing with AC, but otherwise, no ash at all. And yes, it's fun to cut and clean up in the same day.

FWIW, you can HP your soap in a stainless steel pot on the stove. I prefer that to heavy crockpots, which hurt my wrists and are very ungainly when trying to get the soap out of the crock. I tend to use slightly higher heat so that it cooks faster, and I don't have to stand over it all day. Mine are often done in 20 minutes, and usually not more than 30 minutes.

Right on the "burner" (glass-top electric stove). My stainless pot has a heavy copper bottom, which is helpful for preventing uneven heat.

I used to do it directly on the stove top but recently started using a bain marie set up, cover top of bowl which is on a saucepan with hot water, saucepan on stove top very low heat as you might for chocolate, and cover soap bowl with plastic film. Walk away and do other things for a short while and in around 30 mins soap done and gelled. Agree scents last better and come through better, plus you can SF with a chosen oil.

There's enough perks to make me want to do more hot process. Just made arrangements to pick up a used crockpot this weekend! It will never replace doing cold process because I like the design freedom too much, but there's room to do both. :hippo:

I used to do it directly on the stove top but recently started using a bain marie set up, cover top of bowl which is on a saucepan with hot water, saucepan on stove top very low heat as you might for chocolate, and cover soap bowl with plastic film. Walk away and do other things for a short while and in around 30 mins soap done and gelled. Agree scents last better and come through better, plus you can SF with a chosen oil.
When SF how do you calculate amt? TY! :)

There's enough perks to make me want to do more hot process. Just made arrangements to pick up a used crockpot this weekend! It will never replace doing cold process because I like the design freedom too much, but there's room to do both. :hippo:
Curious if you have you have been successful in having more “design freedom” in HP 🙂

When SF how do you calculate amt? TY! :)
Zero or 1% your lye SF amount on the lye calc, but calculate the amount you would want based as usual on the oils amount, so base oils and 5% SF you would weigh that amount out of your chosen SF oil and add after the soap is fully gelled and tests no zap.

Zero or 1% your lye SF amount on the lye calc, but calculate the amount you would want based as usual on the oils amount, so base oils and 5% SF you would weigh that amount out of your chosen SF oil and add after the soap is fully gelled and tests no zap.
Thanks for the quick response! Will try today-:dance:

Your soap is beautiful! My first attempt volcanoed out of the crockpot but I put it back in and continued cooking. I just cut it this morning and was pleasantly surprised at the look and feel. They are nothing like yours because I don’t have color yet. This was only my 4th batch of soap period. The top of yours look so perfect!!!

Your soap is beautiful! My first attempt volcanoed out of the crockpot but I put it back in and continued cooking. I just cut it this morning and was pleasantly surprised at the look and feel. They are nothing like yours because I don’t have color yet. This was only my 4th batch of soap period. The top of yours look so perfect!!!
I started with HP, and used to worry about it volcanoing. Now I do it on purpose. I love the subtle texture of HP too!

Latest posts

Back