First attempt at replacing water

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shellonian

Reaction score
I tried replacing all the water with aloe vera liquid. It seems nice, and passed the zap test, but I think I should ask exactly what the white bits are in case they're something really dodgy. It went so brown I wasn't expecting such a pale, creamy coloured soap, and I definitely wasn't expecting those streaks. It would put my mind at rest if someone voiced an opinion on them, although I hate to be posting yet another 'what are these?' 🙈

Attachments

• 20201029_132101.jpg
    20201029_132101.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 31
  • Screenshot_20201029-133303_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20201029-133303_Chrome.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 30
Feel free to ask as many questions as you like!

They white streaks are fine. At a glance, I am guessing soda ash. Get a wet washcloth and see if they wipe off.

And you didn't ask this, but with 30% coconut you may find your soap harsh and drying. If so, try dropping it to 15%. Most of us use around 5% castor, 15% is a lot. If you don't care for this soap, might want to try dropping that as well.

What is Soda Ash in Soap Making?
Soda ash is a powdery, irregular white ashy film on top or within a bar of cold process soap chemically known as Sodium Carbonate. It is formed when Sodium ions from unsaponified lye reacts with carbonic acid (dissolved carbon dioxide in water) or atmospheric carbon dioxide in the air comes together and precipitate (becomes insoluble). This is typically observed by soap makers within 1-3 days after the pour.

Thank you, Dixiedragon, that helps a lot!

Straight after I made it I started making notes on the max proportions you experts like to mention here and there! I'm aiming for vegan soap but we're on a tight budget 🙈 so I haven't had a chance to play with any butters yet 😭. I'm slowly formulating an 'advice gleaned on SMF pack' 😂

I had no idea soda ash could form like that!

For cheap/cheaper vegan soaping, look into palm oil and soy wax. You can use Crisco or the Wal-mart brand Great Value vegetable shortening as well. I personally don't love these b/c of the soybean oil, but lots of people have no problem with these.

Something like:

40% shortening
5% castor
15% coconut
40% rice bran, sunflower or olive, or a combo of them.

If you are feeling frisky, try replacing 1/2 or all of the water with vinegar - regular white vinegar. This will produce a soap that hardens quickly, but it will thicken up in the pot faster as well. Acetic acid (Vinegar) | Soapy Stuff

Note, for sunflower try to get high oleic:
https://classicbells.com/soap/highO... the same answer as the quick and dirty check.

Thank you! Palm is out for me too I'm afraid. But soy wax and vinegar are brilliant, thank you. I've started adding citric acid too, since I live on chalk. And yes, high oleic when I can. I'll remember that!

For cheap/cheaper vegan soaping, look into palm oil and soy wax. You can use Crisco or the Wal-mart brand Great Value vegetable shortening as well. I personally don't love these b/c of the soybean oil, but lots of people have no problem with these.

Something like:

40% shortening
5% castor
15% coconut
40% rice bran, sunflower or olive, or a combo of them.

If you are feeling frisky, try replacing 1/2 or all of the water with vinegar - regular white vinegar. This will produce a soap that hardens quickly, but it will thicken up in the pot faster as well. Acetic acid (Vinegar) | Soapy Stuff

Note, for sunflower try to get high oleic:
https://classicbells.com/soap/highO... the same answer as the quick and dirty check.
I never have experienced vinegar causing soap batter to thicken (trace) faster and I use it in all batches at 50-100% water replacement.

I'm with @cmzaha on this one. I also use vinegar and although the lye solution heats up more (due to the stronger exothermic reaction due to the acid in vinegar), it doesn't cause the batter to trace faster.

Can I do citric acid and vinegar together? 🧐
If you read some threads on here about that, a few people had trouble combining those. If I recall, the soap stayed soft. Another person who does HP says that the combination kept her soap from fully saponifying in the pot.

Back