First attempt at an (out of pot) swirl?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all!
I was playing around the other day and made this. I am still playing with recipes to get a feel for one that satisfies my desire to try different techniques, as well as cater to skin loving benefits.
Anyway, I attempted layering different colors, and while it didnt turn out the way I had hoped I did learn, and that's the whole point anyhow, right?
I am looking to get confirmation here.
1)I believe I have those DOS, a first for me.
2)I also want to clarify that this is soda ash versus (what)? I have white blotches internally, and what appears to be ashing externally. The tops are fine, I did spray with 91% alcohol.

Advice, suggestions?

Also, my colors arent quite what I was expecting, as I'm still learning color usage ratios. I used Raspberry Mica (BB), Lavender Mica (BB), and Matte Cobalt Blue (Crafters Choice)

Oh... and I goofed and forgot to add my FO (Berries & Cream - Crafters Choice) at 1 oz per pound to each color separately, except for the white until I had poured half of it, thus adding it halfway through, and causing the remaining white to turn yellow 🤣

It was fun nonetheless.

I did not add any additives.. other than colors and FO. Thanks everyone in advance!

ETA: This was a CP soap.. no CPOP on this one. Not sure if that would make a difference or not.

Attachments

• 20200707_164639.jpg
    20200707_164639.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 11
  • 20200707_164649.jpg
    20200707_164649.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 11
  • 20200707_165513.jpg
    20200707_165513.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 11
  • 20200707_165529.jpg
    20200707_165529.jpg
    166.3 KB · Views: 14
  • 20200707_165545.jpg
    20200707_165545.jpg
    229.1 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
If this is newly made soap, I'd not be thinking this soap has rancidity/DOS. That takes awhile to show up -- from my experience and what I see from others, signs of rancidity typically take at least 1 month to be visually obvious.

More likely it's something that happened based on how you made the soap. Maybe you didn't stir the colorants or fragrance into the batter enough or something.

1)I believe I have those DOS, a first for me.
How old is the soap. DOS usually takes longer than a day or two of unmolding to develop. Usually around 4-5 weeks. I can't see in the pictures anything that could look like DOS.
2)I also want to clarify that this is soda ash versus (what)? I have white blotches internally, and what appears to be ashing externally. The tops are fine, I did spray with 91% alcohol.
That looks more like Stearic than ash to me, however someone else can come along and confirm.

How old is the soap. DOS usually takes longer than a day or two of unmolding to develop. Usually around 4-5 weeks. I can't see in the pictures anything that could look like DOS.

That looks more like Stearic than ash to me, however someone else can come along and confirm.

Thank you for responding! It is only 3 days old. Maybe it is just bleed from the colors then. I would presume it is from the Raspberry Mica. My FO accelerated so it was at about medium teace when I was pouring the layers. I had figured a thicker trace would prevent bleeding, but I see this is not the case.🤷‍♀️

If this is newly made soap, I'd not be thinking this soap has rancidity/DOS. That takes awhile to show up -- from my experience and what I see from others, signs of rancidity typically take at least 1 month to be visually obvious.

More likely it's something that happened based on how you made the soap. Maybe you didn't stir the colorants or fragrance into the batter enough or something.

That's definitely possible. I used a mini mixer to blend the colors in, but did find I still had residual powder after I had poured them.

It was mentioned that the FO was poured into some of the white batter causing it to turn yellow. That could answer the yellow/orange which would not be DOS. If the white blotches were truly insides when cut and did not form after cutting it could be a spot of overheating, I have had that happen. If the white was not there when it was first cut it could be soap crystals forming and not necessarily ash, I also get those at times. I just do not see stearic spots and really never see stearic posts in such clusters. But you just never know I can certainly be wrong and there is always something new to learn when soaping even after all these years.

It was mentioned that the FO was poured into some of the white batter causing it to turn yellow. That could answer the yellow/orange which would not be DOS. If the white blotches were truly insides when cut and did not form after cutting it could be a spot of overheating, I have had that happen. If the white was not there when it was first cut it could be soap crystals forming and not necessarily ash, I also get those at times. I just do not see stearic spots and really never see stearic posts in such clusters. But you just never know I can certainly be wrong and there is always something new to learn when soaping even after all these years.
Oooh good point about overheating 🤔
The white blotches did not seem to be COMPLETELY throughout.. but they were along the bottom (not just bottom outside, but seemed to be within the soap, if that makes sense), as well as within the soap in some cuts. So that sounds likely..

Is it common for soap to overheat only in certain areas? And can this be resolved through CPOP? I'm not overly concerned about them, just curious as to the why of it and how to resolve, if possible. It honestly doesnt bother me greatly.

And I believe you are right about the FO maybe causing some of the orange discoloration... it makes sense that if it turns white soap yellow, it could turn pink soap orange.

A pic of another cut:

First pic is an inside cut.. 2nd pic is edge cut.

Attachments

• 20200708_101037.jpg
    20200708_101037.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 9
  • 20200708_100931.jpg
    20200708_100931.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 8

Latest posts

Back