Firmer soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soonerfan66

Reaction score
I am kind a new to soap making . Have made a few different soaps . After they have cured for 8 weeks or so they are very firm but after washing with a bar they turn pretty soft and lose there shape after 1 or 2 times washing hands with them . Does the soap need to just let sit and cure more and the longer it cures the better and then it will hold it's shape . The molds work great but after washing with the bars you can't tell what it was !!!! I have used recipies with lard and used ones calling for olive oil and coconut oil . And have not added oils for scent and made non scented soap also but all do the same .

Boomer Sooner, Boomer Sooner!! ...ahem...sorry, couldn't help myself. Welcome, my fellow Okie! :)

1.) A recipe would help - pick one of your recipes that you like the best, for whatever reason (least expensive, easiest to make, etc)
2.) Is your soap able to completely dry between uses? This seems to be one of the biggest reasons for soaps to soften and misshape after use.

Go Boomer Soonerrrrrr - Knock 'em dead! (my Mom's version...lol)

Thanks Kim tell your mom hey !!!! Were you from ? I am near Blanchard . Maybe I am using the soap to often and it needs time to dry after use but I noticed when washing 1st time it seemed to be getting soft then to . Guess we will see !!!!

Bars being able to dry between uses definitely helps, and posting your recipe might help with figuring out if something else is causing your bars to soften.

Split time growing up in OKC/Tulsa then Norman for school, so I know your neck of the woods!

I am kind a new to soap making . Have made a few different soaps . After they have cured for 8 weeks or so they are very firm but after washing with a bar they turn pretty soft and lose there shape after 1 or 2 times washing hands with them . Does the soap need to just let sit and cure more and the longer it cures the better and then it will hold it's shape . The molds work great but after washing with the bars you can't tell what it was !!!! I have used recipies with lard and used ones calling for olive oil and coconut oil . And have not added oils for scent and made non scented soap also but all do the same .

Definitely post your recipe. It will help determine what may have gone wrong. Are you running your recipe through a lye calculator?

Latest posts

Back