Fir needle and trace

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Katie68121

Reaction score
I want to use this Fir Needle EO I got from Brambleberry in my CP batch, however I’m a bit nervous because I’ve never used it and I’ve read it can speed trace. Does anyone have experience using it and have any advice? My batch will be mostly coconut and olive oil with some castor oil and mango butter. TIA!

I used Fir Needle EO in my Pine Tar soap today. PT soap traces quickly but I was ready for it. Go easy on the stick blender. I only used mine for 2-3 seconds (seriously), and it was at medium trace. At that point, I put the stick blender down and stirred it with my spatula only and got it into the mold.

As long as you're expecting it to trace quickly, you can prepare for it.

Fir Needle, aka "Siberian Fir Needle" aka "White Fir" is one of my favorite EOs! Unfortunately, I never used it in CP. :( Brambelberry might have that information with the EO or perhaps their fragrance calc. Have you checked there?
You can reduce the risk of acceleration by adding it to some of the the castor oil ahead of time. Then add that after you reach emulsion, stir for one full minute and be prepared to act fast.

I used Fir Needle EO in my Pine Tar soap today. PT soap traces quickly but I was ready for it. Go easy on the stick blender. I only used mine for 2-3 seconds (seriously), and it was at medium trace. At that point, I put the stick blender down and stirred it with my spatula only and got it into the mold.

As long as you're expecting it to trace quickly, you can prepare for it.
With a 5 lb batch of pine tar soap I could never add an accelerating EO. I don't like when it's time to make pine tar soap! In fact I leave it unscented. Good for you to be ready for it!

I frequently use BB's fir needle essential oil and have never had a problem with trace acceleration. My basic recipe includes palm, coconut, avocado, rice bran oil, castor oil. I've even swirled at light or medium trace. It's one of my favorite essential oils!

PT soap traces quickly but I was ready for it. Go easy on the stick blender. I only used mine for 2-3 seconds (seriously), and it was at medium trace.
@Katie68121 Just to be clear, Misschief is referring to Pine Tar tracing quickly... in 28 seconds to be exact... yes, I timed it the first time I made it. LOL I love making it. So exciting! But I digress. The point being, even though Misschief had Fir Needle in her EO blend, that doesn't mean it was the cause of the acceleration. PT soap does that all by itself. In any case, good advice @Misschief!

@Katie68121 Just to be clear, Misschief is referring to Pine Tar tracing quickly... in 28 seconds to be exact... yes, I timed it the first time I made it. LOL I love making it. So exciting! But I digress. The point being, even though Misschief had Fir Needle in her EO blend, that doesn't mean it was the cause of the acceleration. PT soap does that all by itself. In any case, good advice @Misschief!
Thank you for clarifying that, @Zany_in_CO

@Katie68121, Zany is right...Pine tar soap traces quickly. I don't think it particularly matters which EO you use. I haven't used this particular EO in anything else.

Thanks everyone. It did not speed trace!

Attachments

• 57AA6665-B57E-48B2-9452-C79DDAA4017B.jpeg
    57AA6665-B57E-48B2-9452-C79DDAA4017B.jpeg
    131.9 KB · Views: 10

Latest posts

Back