Finished design of my slab soap cutter

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Can't wait to get building....

I have no idea how this will work in reality, so if anyone is handy or has a s/o who is he/she wants to look this over, I’ll be glad to add the dimensions and share the file in Sketchup. I’d appreciate a critical eye before I waste a weekend building it. There may be design flaws I cannot see.

Attachments

• Slab Cutter 3-15-19 with Reveal (1).png
    Slab Cutter 3-15-19 with Reveal (1).png
    65.1 KB · Views: 180
  • Slab Cutter 3-15-19 with Reveal.png
    Slab Cutter 3-15-19 with Reveal.png
    76.4 KB · Views: 167
Last edited by a moderator:
My husband is a draftsman. He does drawing for homes and businesses and he is a builder . I’ll ask him.

I have no idea how this will work in reality, so if anyone is handy or has a s/o who is he/she wants to look this over, I’ll be glad to add the dimensions and share the file in Sketchup. I’d appreciate a critical eye before I waste a weekend building it. There may be design flaws I cannot see.

He said he can look it over.

Brilliant! Looks like it will work great!!
Brilliant! Looks like it will work great!!
Thanks, man. It was a fun weekend project/diversion/stress reducer. Will be interesting to see if it translates from design to execution and actually works. Pretty ambitious to try a home-built linear rail system. {grimace}

Here's an updated version. After some comments by a friend, I decided to:

1) Move the linear rails (the part that makes the cutter arm slide under the table) farther apart for added stability
2) Add a handle at the right side of the cutter arm to allow the user to apply more even pressure when pulling through the slab/loaf
3) Since I had the table top space, I added 2 additional cutting wires, but of course, using them would be optional.

Hope this helps someone. I'll keep working on it. Maybe I'll get some time to build on it this weekend. My plan is to mock it up in plywood before investing in anything better.
It's still only a theoretical model.
Slab Cutter 3-19-19 with Full Arm.png

Attachments

• 2078E24F-587C-4FA3-9F6B-5793655F1C85.jpeg
    2078E24F-587C-4FA3-9F6B-5793655F1C85.jpeg
    34.1 KB · Views: 57
Some of the numbers need to be fixed. There are some where the “ is in the wrong place. This makes it look like the measurements are small than they should be. Ex 1” 3 1/2 I think should be 13 1/2”
Can't be. Sketchup measures them, not me. They may be too small in the format I had to save them too. I've looked them over, and they are correct. Perhaps my nomenclature is unclear. the 3 1/2" on the slots is the distance from one another and the edge.

Can't be. Sketchup measures them, not me. They may be too small in the format I had to save them too. I've looked them over, and they are correct. Perhaps my nomenclature is unclear. the 3 1/2" on the slots is the distance from one another and the edge.

Ok , this is just me looking at it. Hubby is about to check it out

Back