Finely ground oatmeal

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goji_fries

Reaction score
You guys ever used finely ground oatmeal in your soaps? If so, what is the consistency when the soap is completed? Is it soft and unnoticeable? Or is it slightly scratchy, a good exfoliant? I use semi ground oatmeal before. I want to make a good psoriasis eczema bar. (I know it doesn't cure psoriasis but it offers comfort to the sufferer; reducing scale with some people)

Last edited:
I have a Nutri Bullet, and I use it to grind regular oatmeal to a fine powder. Really fine. I find that I don't notice it in the soap at all. I kind of like to see and feel pieces of oatmeal in there, so I'm thinking that in the next batch I'll use both the fine and the not so fine. I'm not sure what the difference would be between my powdery oats and colloidal oatmeal. Does anyone know if there is any?

I have a Nutri Bullet, and I use it to grind regular oatmeal to a fine powder. Really fine. I find that I don't notice it in the soap at all. I kind of like to see and feel pieces of oatmeal in there, so I'm thinking that in the next batch I'll use both the fine and the not so fine. I'm not sure what the difference would be between my powdery oats and colloidal oatmeal. Does anyone know if there is any?

Excellent idea. I've thought the same before of mixing powdered with a few smalller chunks. I don't know if there is any difference b/t colloidal and powdered. Ithought it is the same.:thumbup:

One of my best sellers and several family member favorites is my OMH with finely ground oatmeal made with goat's milk and local honey. I do soak my oats in the milk then strain and then add at light trace.

For some of my soaps I grind up the baby oatmeal in my coffee grinder then add it to may coconut, aloe, avocado puree or whatever I am using if I want to scrub. On the other end of the spectrum I make an extra scrubby bar that uses whole 3 min oats. I do not use steel cut oats as they tend to be very sharp. 1 min or 3 min oats work well and are not sharp just super scrub

I don't think so, baby oatmeal is more like really fine flakes. Tiny little flakes, but flakes. Not as fine as powder like talc. Reminds me more of tiny snowflakes that melt on your tongue.

I've never heard or seen baby oatmeal. Is it available everywhere? Or is it found in a baby section at store?

It is not the same as colloidal oatmeal. Colloidal oatmeal is put through a steam process that changes the structure of the oatmeal, and is finely ground- it basically dissolves in solution. Ground oatmeal, untreated, will not do that. I finely grind and sift myself, but I don't call it colloidal oatmeal.

The groats are steam heat treated for stabilization and to reduce free fatty acids to the lowest level. This also helps destroy bacteria and prepare the groat for rolling, flake integrity and proper water holding.
from here. Yes, I know, they're trying to sell a product, but this is what colloidal oatmeal truly is.

It is not the same as colloidal oatmeal. Colloidal oatmeal is put through a steam process that changes the structure of the oatmeal, and is finely ground- it basically dissolves in solution. Ground oatmeal, untreated, will not do that. I finely grind and sift myself, but I don't call it colloidal oatmeal.

from here. Yes, I know, they're trying to sell a product, but this is what colloidal oatmeal truly is.

that link was awesome

I've never heard or seen baby oatmeal. Is it available everywhere? Or is it found in a baby section at store?

I'm not entirely certain myself, but I think they mean the dry oatmeal cereal that you would put in a baby's bottle. If so, then that would be in the baby section of any store with a baby aisle/section.

I'm not entirely certain myself, but I think they mean the dry oatmeal cereal that you would put in a baby's bottle. If so, then that would be in the baby section of any store with a baby aisle/section.

Yeah they have it at w**mart for like a dollar fifty

Latest posts

Back