Fine Himalayan Pink Salt

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is not a good idea to use himalayan Pink salt in soap whether it is fine or not. It tends to cause scratches deep enough to bleed. Even if it is dissolved there have been reports of it causing scratches. Fine sea salt is great in soap with no additives. "Canning salt" in the US is also great.

On the plus side, You got a pound of perfectly good cooking salt that will last you forever. Otherwise, @penelopejane and @shunt2011 are preaching to the choir. That pink salt almost turned me off to salt soaps. The first batch of salt soaps I made used pink himalayan salt and was scented with peppermint. I was thinking it would make a good christmas soap but nope. I chucked those after cure.

@math ace
Thank You.gif

The healthiest forms of sea salt are the least refined with no added preservatives (which can mean clumping in the fine variety). Pink Himalayan salt is touted by healthy home cooks as the ultimate mineral-rich seasoning, said to be the purest of the sea salt family.
Of course, I like it cuz it's pretty!
Love:Girl.gif

I must be the outlier and very lucky ... I used the extra-fine pink Himalayan salt from Costco. My salt soaps are scrubby on purpose (they also have coffee in them) but not scratchy. I plan to use something else next time in case I ever want to give it to others who experience the scratchiness.

I'll admit that I used extra fine himalayan in a salt soap knowing perfectly well it might be too scratchy to use.
Its not bad, I can use it directly on my skin but its a little uncomfortable. Its never cut me or left marks.
I'll probably end up throwing it away though as the FO is absolutely terrible.

Latest posts

Back