Fine Art Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've been thinking a lot about highlighting soap as fine art while decorating my new house. Not just the usual beautiful bars in the bathroom, but framed, full size pieces on the walls. Art is expensive, and soap is stunning -- so why not?? It's a gamble given the independent will of soap, but payoff could be really rewarding.

I bought some shadow boxes yesterday and framed my first three pieces. These are small but fit the space perfectly. Ultimately I'd like three zebras here but you get the point. Don't you?

I hope they upload ok, my wireless has been down a week and all I have is cell service. ImageUploadedBySoap Making1454302354.338526.jpgImageUploadedBySoap Making1454302379.316652.jpg

They are awesome. Too bad you didn't frame the elephant soap as well.

You could have a full safari on your wall!

That's a great idea, Carabou! Talk about having totally unique wall art. I can just hear it now, "Carabou, those safari art pieces are beautiful! Who's the artist?" You'll have to start signing your soap.... :lol:

They are lovely CaraBou. There is another gal in the forum that frames her soaps and they look beautiful. This person is so organized she even has all her color samples framed and labeled as to color, supplier and I think the amount used in the sample. She does such exquisite work it puts mine to shame. I actually think I am going to frame my Dragon's Blood I recently did that have the faces over by my big giraffes.

There is another gal in the forum that frames her soaps and they look beautiful. This person is so organized she even has all her color samples framed and labeled as to color, supplier and I think the amount used in the sample. She does such exquisite work it puts mine to shame. I actually think I am going to frame my Dragon's Blood I recently did that have the faces over by my big giraffes.

I'd love to find her posts -- can you point me in the right direction? Have you done this before Carolyn, or will your DB be your first? I am wondering how you have or will approach this.

The small soaps (4" x 3.5") were pretty easy to stabilize in the shadow boxes but I am not sure how to do it with larger pieces. For these I just pulled the fabric/foam liner away from the backing board of the shadow box, and pinned the liner to the back of the soap with furniture tacks. I didn't glue the liner back onto the backing board but that might be necessary if it starts to sag.

Small shadow boxes (6" x 6") were easy to find - and cheap - at Michaels, but larger pieces to take up significant wall space might require custom/handcrafted molds and boxes. I'm thinking the mold and frame could be one in the same, and that I probably wouldn't even need to line the mold or remove the soap from the mold. It would be great if the soap sticks to the sides and holds it in place. But I suppose it would eventually pull away as it cures.

You'll have to report back how it handles bathroom humidity. :)
DOS is a possibility, especially for those soaps that I hang in the bathroom. Fortunately I live in an arid environment, which should help prevent it, and I expect to use a lot of colorants, which should help hide it. But if it does get DOS or I simply tire of it on the wall, I can just take it down and use it or pitch it. It'll still be cheaper than most art that I would buy. And just think how well cured it would be after 2 or 3 years! Hey - this might be a great approach to curing castiles!

I welcome any and all ideas; this is kind of a weird concept but I am excited to explore it.

Love it! I would wonder about DOS, not so much from humidity but from the metal in the furniture tacks going into the soap. I know it seems like you can just sub out another one, but theoretically, your soap can last for years and I'd hate to see any of them meet an untimely end if they don't need to.

Love it! I would wonder about DOS, not so much from humidity but from the metal in the furniture tacks going into the soap.

That could be too. Any alternative ideas for securing? With the tacks it'll likely start on the backside, and who knows when it will move up front or become visible. Maybe I can find stainless steel tacks for future small displays. I still need to figure out something for larger, heavier pieces (which is what I really want to hang) because this method isn't well suited from the get-go.

I know a lot of people keep bars 'forever' but I'm not stuck on that, just as a matter of practicality. Too often that means sitting in a box (since you can only set out so much without being abandoned by friends and family lol). I'd rather use it, give it away, or feature it really well for a period of time. So, I'm truly ok with the prospect of dos, especially in the interest of honing how to more effectively display certain soaps for more visual pleasure.

I hope that doesn't sound dismissive as I truly am looking to increase my success here. So please keep the concerns and ideas coming!

Back