Finding the right mold

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jamie Bell

Reaction score
How many of these(see picture) = the 1200ml loaf molds
Screenshot_2018-05-01-21-27-26.png

Cavity size =
length 3.1''/8cm; width 2.2''/5.5cm; height 1''/2.5cm

Then no way to really tell. Short of pouring liquid in each section and weighing it. Sorry.
I was able to find cavity size but dont know how to do the math to find the c
Volume

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.calculator.net/volume-calculator.html

1. Each cavity is 110 centimeters cubed (8x5.5x2.5)
2. Knowing that 1 mililiter = 1 cubic centimeter, you now know that each cavity is 110 mililiters
3. 1200 mililiters/110 mililiters = 10.9 molds (round up to 11, one will be a shorty)

I love finding a purpose for enduring all those math classes
:dance:

You can fit approximately 118 grams of soap, hot process and slightly mounded. Maybe that's not what you were asking but it may be useful.

http://www.calculator.net/volume-calculator.html

1. Each cavity is 110 centimeters cubed (8x5.5x2.5)
2. Knowing that 1 mililiter = 1 cubic centimeter, you now know that each cavity is 110 mililiters
3. 1200 mililiters/110 mililiters = 10.9 molds (round up to 11, one will be a shorty)

I love finding a purpose for enduring all those math classes
:dance:
Wow...as a newbie to soap making this is my problem too . I have no idea how to figure out how much soap to make to fill each of the loaf pans or the little molds like these. I am confused by the measurements going back and forth...making grams and lbs etc. I know there are conversion charts...but there are so many different things to think about. Is there a rule of thumb or some general guide about how much soap makes a lb and what kind of mold it fills? Thank you so much for the responses...someday I hope to be able to help others with this!

Wow...as a newbie to soap making this is my problem too . I have no idea how to figure out how much soap to make to fill each of the loaf pans or the little molds like these. I am confused by the measurements going back and forth...making grams and lbs etc. I know there are conversion charts...but there are so many different things to think about. Is there a rule of thumb or some general guide about how much soap makes a lb and what kind of mold it fills? Thank you so much for the responses...someday I hope to be able to help others with this!

I think soap density is a touch less than water, but I just say they are the same. Thus, 1gm=1ml. Then all you have to do is measure the inside dimensions of the container in cm(or see what is listed on the website where you bought it) and multiply the three numbers to get the volume in cm3. Since 1cm3=1ml=1 gram, the volume you get in cm3 equals the volume in ml equals the mass in grams.

I think international units are easier but you can always do a couple extra steps for US units. For example, 1 oz=28.g, so to get the mass in ounces you just divide the amount in grams you got by 28.3. To get the mass in lbs you divide again by 16 (16 ounces in a pound). If you measure your container in inches, you can always convert that to cm (inch = 2.54 cm)

As an example, let's look at the Brambleberry 10" Silicone load Mold.
(https://www.brambleberry.com/10-Silicone-Loaf-Mold--P5199.aspx)
Inside Dimensions: 10" x 3 5/8" x 2.25" OR 25.4cm x 9.207 x 5.715cm --> Multiplied equals 1328.29 cm3

1336.5 cm3 = 1336.5 ml = 1336.5 grams
1336.5 grams/28 = 47.7 ounces.

Brambleberry says 50oz and I am not sure if that is because they are using a different density or they are rounding or I suck at math, but it's pretty close :eek:;)

Hope that helps!

Honestly? I just grabbed my mold, stuck it on my scale, tared out the weight of the mold, and poured water into it until it was full. Then I just fuss with my recipe in the calculators so it's at least that much, with a little left over for wiggle room in came some spills or I want a mounded top.

I would suggest you only buy one mold and try it before purchasing multiples. I got a similar cheap mold from china and I don't care for it. Its thin and bows easily so the bars have slightly curved sides and the size wasn't what was advertised. The cavities are shallower, under a inch which is just not thick enough for me.

I think soap density is a touch less than water, but I just say they are the same. Thus, 1gm=1ml. Then all you have to do is measure the inside dimensions of the container in cm(or see what is listed on the website where you bought it) and multiply the three numbers to get the volume in cm3. Since 1cm3=1ml=1 gram, the volume you get in cm3 equals the volume in ml equals the mass in grams.

I think international units are easier but you can always do a couple extra steps for US units. For example, 1 oz=28.g, so to get the mass in ounces you just divide the amount in grams you got by 28.3. To get the mass in lbs you divide again by 16 (16 ounces in a pound). If you measure your container in inches, you can always convert that to cm (inch = 2.54 cm)

As an example, let's look at the Brambleberry 10" Silicone load Mold.
(https://www.brambleberry.com/10-Silicone-Loaf-Mold--P5199.aspx)
Inside Dimensions: 10" x 3 5/8" x 2.25" OR 25.4cm x 9.207 x 5.715cm --> Multiplied equals 1328.29 cm3

1336.5 cm3 = 1336.5 ml = 1336.5 grams
1336.5 grams/28 = 47.7 ounces.

Brambleberry says 50oz and I am not sure if that is because they are using a different density or they are rounding or I suck at math, but it's pretty close :eek:;)

Hope that helps!

Thank you ! This is amazing! I guess I need to polish up my math skills~! Making soap is harder than I thought. I can not believe all the vendors I see selling soap are doing all this math..but I guess they must be to make that huge amount of awesome soap. I am just going to hope I can make it for myself and do it right!

It's really not hard. It seems hard at first - all of these numbers flying around! But keep in mind, you only have to do this math once! I know what each of my molds holds and what my crockpot holds, and my recipes in Soapee are named to reflect that.

It's always a good idea to have an extra, small mold or container ready to go. Just in case you have a bit left over.

It's really not hard. It seems hard at first - all of these numbers flying around! But keep in mind, you only have to do this math once! I know what each of my molds holds and what my crockpot holds, and my recipes in Soapee are named to reflect that.

It's always a good idea to have an extra, small mold or container ready to go. Just in case you have a bit left over.

YES , lots of numbers flying around is a good way to say that! I will look for that program to keep my measurements organized with my soap recipes. I am thinking some 1 lb butter boxes and I have a few small soap boxes from the store that I saved. I imagine they can be lined with freezer paper.
More questions..........the small boxes like that must take less time before the soap can be taken out? and I could put those fancy little discs in them? Hmmmm so many things to think of.

I am not sure that butter boxes or small soap boxes will be sturdy enough. Remember that soap is hot, heavy and caustic. If your mold fails, then you are going to have a puddle off hot liquid that will give you chemical burns and strip the varnish off of your counters, cabinets and floor. The heat of the soap could soften the glue holding your little boxes together, and the weight will push the open. Some container options are milk cartons. Other products come in those nice paper cartons but some are lined with foil. Look inside the container to make sure it's not lined in foil. You could also use plastic containers with a 5 or a 2 on the bottom, inside the recycle symbol. Such as margarine or butter tubs, yogurt, and sour cream. If you have any Gladware type containers with missing lids, you can use those. You could also get a coupon from Michael's, Joann's or Hobby Lobby from their website and get a silicone mold in the baking section.

I am not sure that butter boxes or small soap boxes will be sturdy enough. Remember that soap is hot, heavy and caustic. If your mold fails, then you are going to have a puddle off hot liquid that will give you chemical burns and strip the varnish off of your counters, cabinets and floor. The heat of the soap could soften the glue holding your little boxes together, and the weight will push the open. Some container options are milk cartons. Other products come in those nice paper cartons but some are lined with foil. Look inside the container to make sure it's not lined in foil. You could also use plastic containers with a 5 or a 2 on the bottom, inside the recycle symbol. Such as margarine or butter tubs, yogurt, and sour cream. If you have any Gladware type containers with missing lids, you can use those. You could also get a coupon from Michael's, Joann's or Hobby Lobby from their website and get a silicone mold in the baking section.

Good info for sure! I was wondering about the safety of those small soap boxes. I do like to recycle when possible and will look for the number 5 and 2 on containers! Wow am I glad I posted this and you responded..no one needs that kind of mess and injury. Thank you!

Regarding using small butter boxes:

I have used Tea boxes to make soap, lining with freezer paper, and have no issues whatsoever, other than slight bowing because the sides are not rigid.

This soap was made in a Tazo Tea Box:

Hidden Heart Soap made in Tazo Tea Box.JPG

The tea box filled with soap is on the right below.
Hidden Heart Soaps in the molds.JPG

The only caution I would advise is to make sure the soap is not too thin when you pour. I did not have any leakage, but it could be possible under the right conditions.

Those molds each hold a 1lb standard soap recipe. I have 2 of them.

Thank you for your response! I may try using recycled boxes after I make a few batches and gain confidence. I am feeling a little unsure of my self right now but in my other crafting I incorporate recycled items so this would be a nice way to put a small soap line into the crafting, if I ever learn enough to do that.

Your soap is beautiful...love the hidden heart! Is this cold processed? Since HP is thicker when poured would that work? Wondering which molds hold the 1 lb? And how many bars do you get? I am thinking 4.5 oz so you get 3 or 4 bars right? Just learning and I am finding the issue of how much soap and which molds and bar sizes somewhat confusing.

I just ordered on Amazon 2 wooden molds with liners...42 ounces. Hope they are good starter molds. I am thinking each one is .2lbs each?

Ogrmar Flexible Rectangular Soap Silicone Mold With Wood Box DIY Tool For Soap Cake Making 42oz (Purple x2)

Sold by: Orgrimmar Bags
$18.99

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back