Finding the right FO/EO...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LaToya

Reaction score
When getting your oils .... Is the process of "I may not like it a factor"? Do you just go for something in the category that you are seeking? Do you trust that the fragrances will be exactly what your looking for according to the name? Or do you not mine returning undesired items? Do you build a good relationship with the business, enough to learn their quality of oils?

I find myself not wanting to purchase new fragrances because I may have to ship it back. How do you all determine?

I can usually find a use for a FO that I'm not in love with. And what I'm not in love with may be someone else's holy grail scent! I don't particularly care for bakery scents as a whole, but a lot of people love them.

I'll usually read the reviews on a FO to see what other people have experienced. I'm usually looking for how long the scent stays in soap and how strong it is, as well as if it discolors, rices, accelerates trace, or does any other odd things to the soap, but other folks' impressions of the scent can be really useful, too.

This has been discussed many times so you may want to search the fragrance forum for recommendations. Right now there's a current thread about who has the best Vanilla FO. Take notes! I like to buy from vendors who offer sample sizes -- Majestic Mountain Sage, Bramble Berry, Pure Fragrance oils. If I were on the East Coast, I would buy from Sweetcakes, Nature's Garden, Rustic Ecsentuals -- come to mind. Shipping is always a concern so I tend to buy from suppliers west of the Mississippi.

Once you have your samples, I've done this to test micas and FOs at the same time. The different colors help to identify the different scents:

Make a batch of soap to whatever size your individual molds are. In this case I used 6 cavity rounds.

8 oz. lard 44.4%
5 oz. coconut oil 27.7%
3.5 oz. olive oil 19.4%
1.5 oz. castor oil 8.3%
18 oz. TOTAL (INS 162)
(24 oz. soap/6 = 4 oz. bars)

6 oz. water (33%) - (6.75 oz. 38%)
2.7 oz. 76 grams NaOH (1% SF)

Set out 6 small Pyrex bowls. Melt oils.
Put 1 Tbls. warm oils in each bowl.
Add 1/4 tsp. Pop! Mica. Mix well.
Add 3 ml FO. Mix well.

Add lye solution to rest of oils and bring to light trace. Add 1 tablespoon China Clay. (Optional) Pour 4 oz. soap into each bowl, one at a time. Mix well. Pour into individual molds.

NOTE: This has worked for me on several occasions and I get lovely colors. The China clay seems to help keep colors true and stick the fragrance as well.

Last edited:
@Micchi Im glad that you said that. Ricing? I have seen it in posts a few times and know that its not really a good thing. But I've never seen it personally. When ricing happens how do you correct it? Or is there no correction?

upload_2019-2-11_11-45-54.png

As far as your EO/ FO you pretty much read customer reviews to see what they are experiencing before purchasing. I have read reviews but I feel that everyone's nose is so different are they truely smelling what I am going to smell? I probably should get better at using what "I" don't like. Like you said some people like things that others do not but its still a gamble. Lol It probably will always be.

Fixing ricing is basically...stick blend it into submission, lol. Most of the time a little more blending will smooth it out!

I'm mostly making soap for other people, so whether or not I love the scent, getting an idea of how other people perceive it is helpful for me. If I were making soap mostly for me, though, I'd probably buy sample sizes and make tiny batches.

For fragrances, read the review's here and on the suppliers website. Order samples and fragrances that appeal to you as most, if not all will not take them back. Make small batches 16 oz. to start to test them for yourself. It's all a matter of testing. Unfortunately, this is not a cheap hobby to get into besides being addicting. Nature's Garden has a deal on 1 oz bottles if you buy 10, they will take .50 off each.

I had a couple boxes of fails in the beginning. I still get them sometimes. Even with good reviews.

Last edited:
We all have ended up fragrances we do not like, unfortunately it is part of soapmaking, and suppliers do not take them back. As Shunt mentioned buy 1 oz samples and run sample batches, letting them fully cure before purchasing larger amounts. Also read the reviews for the fragrances.

There is always SOMEONE who likes a scent. Unless it's just gaggingly heinous. I have tons and tons of sample sizes but I rarely make a batch small enough to test. For me personally, I don't want to waste my time making a teensy batch of soap. Sometimes I get a wild hare and will make a batch and divide it 8 or so weighs and test 8 FOs that way. Personally, I stick to soap suppliers, or fragrances recommended here. I've never had a fragrance for a soap supplier (somebody who tests FOs in soap) totally fail me. I've had them discolor or fade a bit, or be kind of "meh" but I've never had one be totally gross.

I've been using up my sample bottles by combining them, either with other samples or with something I think is similar or complementary. It's a bit of a gamble, but I think that even if they fade, I will end up with a lighter scent, since I'm not relying 100% on that untested sample. I also make lotion and candles with some of my samples, since a little goes a long way in lotion.

"You get what you pay for" is also a factor here. Some cheaper suppliers - such as Just Scent - I've dropped from my list. They don't test in soap, and I've had too many faders. Not willing to order a bunch of samples, test, then re-order in larger quantities. I don't order from candle suppliers unless I get a recommendation on specific scents from people here.

I also hated testing and would just spring for the lb bottle, but that changed when I started using several fo's from California Candle Supply. Some of his fo's are marvelous, and I post which one's are, some are very surprising like his Mimosa that I was sure would fade. It has not faded in several months, soap with no acceleration, and discolors to light than. His Mango Papaya continues to sell out very quickly. Some of his fade to nothing, so I test

@Zany_in_CO What was the effects when you used this recipe without the china clay? Where the colors just not as bright?
Hi LaToya,
For me, using China Clay aka "White Kaolin Clay", serves the same purpose as using Titanium Dioxide to whiten soap. It lays down a foundation to bring out the colors. Also, clays in general, used at a rate of 1 teaspoon - 1 tablespoon PPO (Per Pound Oils) help stick the scent.

So, yes, your guess is correct -- the colors are just not as bright without it. But that doesn't mean you should always use clay when coloring soap... it's just an option... there when you need it. :cool:

Back