Finding supplies

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

qtkitty

Reaction score
Has anyone else had an obscenely hard time finding supplies? For me I haven't seen olive oil in my town since this started, much less (17 cents/oz larger) 3L containers.

The weirdest things out out of stock lately but we are finding out what is considered essential locally. I guess your area really loves their olive oil. My area really likes frozen shrimp.

im in fairly rural Michigan and I’ve noticed certain supplies are picking up again. With time you should be able to find olive oil again. If it’s the brand you want.... that might be debatable. High oliec sunflower is a good substitute for olive, I find its cheaper too.

Has anyone else had an obscenely hard time finding supplies? For me I haven't seen olive oil in my town since this started, much less (17 cents/oz larger) 3L containers.
I found pomace grade on amazon. I hope this helps!

I found some pomace grade olive oil on Amazon

Last edited by a moderator:
I unfortunately I am looking specifically for olive oil. I seem to be having a run specifically on castile soaps and massively on plain castile. Usually it's one or two people every once and awhile who buy the castile. Now it seems that's what a lot of people are looking for.

I had gotten 2 3L when everything started, but have already have one 1/3 gone.

I will have to look at the Pomace grade. I highly doubt anyone would complain about a harder bar of soap at this point. Thank you guys so much!

I can't find lard. I was at the store picking up a prescription on the 10th of last month and there was none to be found, then grocery shopping on the 22nd and none in either store where I shopped. The lines were ridiculous at Costco but I don't recall seeing it there anyway. I used up the last of my lard between my two trips to the store so I'm no longer soaping. I supply soap to my family and a few friends...haven't seen the friends since last month, so I really don't need the soap...just itching to make some and I really love my lardy soap! LOL I go into my soap stash and sniff on a daily basis.

I unfortunately I am looking specifically for olive oil. I seem to be having a run specifically on castile soaps and massively on plain castile. Usually it's one or two people every once and awhile who buy the castile. Now it seems that's what a lot of people are looking for.

I had gotten 2 3L when everything started, but have already have one 1/3 gone.

I will have to look at the Pomace grade. I highly doubt anyone would complain about a harder bar of soap at this point. Thank you guys so much!
It depends on your customers. I wouldn’t buy soap made from pomace.

I can't find lard. I was at the store picking up a prescription on the 10th of last month and there was none to be found, then grocery shopping on the 22nd and none in either store where I shopped. The lines were ridiculous at Costco but I don't recall seeing it there anyway. I used up the last of my lard between my two trips to the store so I'm no longer soaping. I supply soap to my family and a few friends...haven't seen the friends since last month, so I really don't need the soap...just itching to make some and I really love my lardy soap! LOL I go into my soap stash and sniff on a daily basis.
Lard is an easier one to find. As long as your willing to put time into it. If you have a butcher or smaller store that has a butcher ask for pork fat. (I used to get beef fat for free, however more recently I have seen it for sale. Hope that's just my area.) Put it in a large pot with water and slowly heat. Then let it cool and put it in the fridge or freezer to solidify. The fat will solidify on top and everything else drops off into the water. It will take a few renderings before it is a nice clean lard. I had a customer a long time ago who was allergic to everything and wanted tallow soap. It takes a lot of time, but makes a nice bar.

Lard has been hard for me to find and they ran out of the brand of safflower I was buying on Amazon. However OO has been easy to get.

If you have a Spanish grocery store in your area, try them. I have found lots of lard there but it's a little higher priced.

The Walmart near me up the price of lard by $1 when this all started but it could have been their supplier who did it first.

I was paying $6.99 for 54 ounces of high oleic safflower but it is gone.

Sadly we don't have a Costco around here. We have walmart lol
As a backup, if you have a family member or friend with a Costco membership, you could have them order it online and have it shipped to your address. I had a peek and it looks like Costco.com are only offering Extra Virgin in a 3L 2-pack (so 6L) tins at the moment, but that could change. Best of luck!

If you have a Walmart, lard is with the oils. It's a solid. Mine is in a round container on the bottom. You might have to get down and look in the back. In the grocery store, it's close to the milk. These come in rectangular one-pound packages. LARD.jpg

If you have a Walmart, lard is with the oils. It's a solid. Mine is in a round container on the bottom. You might have to get down and look in the back. In the grocery store, it's close to the milk. These come in rectangular one-pound packages. View attachment 44960
Walmart is where I usually get my lard...and there wasn't a package on the shelf...not the tubs or the little 1 pound packages. And the same for Winco, the other store that I went to. I had looked at Amazon around the middle of last month and there was some available but not when I last looked. I could reformulate my soaps, but will wait since I don't have to send soap to my family in Hawaii for a bit...and the last two batches are waiting to complete their cure times. I probably don't "need" to soap until about September! LOL I'm working on face masks and 4 quilts for a family that lost everything in a fire....that will keep me from going bananas....and for sure needed more than making another batch of soap.

Walmart is where I usually get my lard...and there wasn't a package on the shelf...not the tubs or the little 1 pound packages. And the same for Winco, the other store that I went to. I had looked at Amazon around the middle of last month and there was some available but not when I last looked. I could reformulate my soaps, but will wait since I don't have to send soap to my family in Hawaii for a bit...and the last two batches are waiting to complete their cure times. I probably don't "need" to soap until about September! LOL I'm working on face masks and 4 quilts for a family that lost everything in a fire....that will keep me from going bananas....and for sure needed more than making another batch of soap.
Do you have any Spanish grocery stores near you? That's where I get mine when Walmart doesn't have any. As a matter of fact, the Spanish stores are well stocked with lard because a lot of Mexican dishes use lard for frying.

I'm sure there are but I've never seen one in any of the areas where I shop. I have been self isolating since the 10th of last month...out for prescriptions and groceries only...and plan to keep it up for the duration. Next time I go for groceries I'll check out the yellow pages in case I can't find it at either of the regular stores. Thanks for the tip

Only our business Costco carries lard and they do have it in stock. I prefer Smart and Final's lard but it is hit and miss. Fortunately, I have almost 100 lbs of palm shortening so I am not too stressed, besides I am not making soap until I hear if my market will be re-opening when this mess is over.

I found pomace grade on amazon. I hope this helps!

I found some pomace grade olive oil on Amazon
I discovered Olive Oil in the Dollar Store. I thought the container would be smaller because stuff is made specifically for the Dollar Store. It was 17 oz, the same as I get in the grocery store for much more. I used it in my last two batches of soap and I have no complaints.

Glad you're keeping busy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wish I could send you mine! I hate the smell and I have no idea what to do with it. I shredded up most of it and put it in a Ziploc bag :(

Our Walmart had the large 100 ounce olive oil and I also found some on Amazon. Is it sold out on Amazon?

I'm sure there are but I've never seen one in any of the areas where I shop. I have been self isolating since the 10th of last month...out for prescriptions and groceries only...and plan to keep it up for the duration. Next time I go for groceries I'll check out the yellow pages in case I can't find it at either of the regular stores. Thanks for the tip
I happen to live in a area where there is a lot of canning factories. There is a large migrant population and some of the people have settled down permanently. So there is a lot of the Spanish stores here. I love shopping at them because there's a certain zest for life in them.

Restaurant supply stores ma have the oils you are looking for and their shelve are fairly full right now.

Rice bran oil can be used to make "castille type" soap since the fatty acid profile is so close. Of course it would need to be labelled as such.
Just my 2 cents.

Back