Finding supplies

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am really concerned about what is going to happen to my LA based importers of Shea butter when this is over. Small businesses in Los Angeles are in trouble and I am so spoiled to be able to go pick up blocks of shea. I Hate changes, and I am very low on shea.

I discovered Olive Oil in the Dollar Store.
I saw some there, but atleast at ours we just have olive oil blends (canola and olive)

Our Walmart had the large 100 ounce olive oil and I also found some on Amazon. Is it sold out on Amazon?
They had been.. I have been trolling Amazon and Walmart.com. I finally saw some at the price I wanted so I grabbed some. Walmart will only let you buy one bottle, but you have to spend $35 to get free shipping ‍:beatinghead:... yo walmart can I get 2 so I can get free shipping lol

I agree Latin grocery are amazing. When I lived in NC there were several. You could find always find cool and yummy things.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was able to buy a 5 gal. bucket of coconut oil at my local restaurant supply store. I had to order it because they didn't have it in stock, but I saved 25 dollars in shipping and it was on site in 2 days. You might check that option if you haven't.

Restaurant supply stores ma have the oils you are looking for and their shelve are fairly full right now.

Rice bran oil can be used to make "castille type" soap since the fatty acid profile is so close. Of course it would need to be labelled as such.
Just my 2 cents.
I was in restaurant depot this week and they had lard but no tallow. They do have oil oils but mostly ones I would not soap with, a lot of blends.

the local restaurant supply is where I get my rice bran oil. I've seen lots of oils, some in sizes that are almost the same size as I am (LOL) but no lard. I may have to brave it out again one of these days to check out Walmart and Winco...or a Spanish market if they don't have it. Some of the local stores now have an ordering system, but so far everyone who has used them says don't bother as most of the stuff takes 4-6 days and then you only get about half of what you order. I'll take my chances with the seniors in the morning...OMG I'll have to actually set an alarm to get up! LOL

the local restaurant supply is where I get my rice bran oil. I've seen lots of oils, some in sizes that are almost the same size as I am (LOL) but no lard. I may have to brave it out again one of these days to check out Walmart and Winco...or a Spanish market if they don't have it. Some of the local stores now have an ordering system, but so far everyone who has used them says don't bother as most of the stuff takes 4-6 days and then you only get about half of what you order. I'll take my chances with the seniors in the morning...OMG I'll have to actually set an alarm to get up! LOL

Some of our stores are getting more vigilant about keeping those early hours for seniors and those who are immunocomprimised.

I am thankful since I'm immunocompromised and it didn't seem like too much to ask to limit two hours twice a week for people who have such an increased risk of getting seriously ill.

It seem that palm shorting is a cheaper sub for palm oil at some soap suppliers, is this true
I did a net search for palm shorting and came up with a restaurant supply for a "palm oil and cottonseed oil" fry and baking hard oil blend, $35/50lb. I didn't see any preservative info. any thoughts about this.

It seem that palm shorting is a cheaper sub for palm oil at some soap suppliers, is this true
I did a net search for palm shorting and came up with a restaurant supply for a "palm oil and cottonseed oil" fry and baking hard oil blend, $35/50lb. I didn't see any preservative info. any thoughts about this.
I prefer 100% Palm Shortening which is what I use. I stay away from Cottonseed because of the high Linoleic. Palm shortening also does not have to be stirred

Is palm shorting just hydrogenated palm oil or a blend. I'm having hard time finding any info or prices for more than 1 or 2 lb Walmart type cans. Does it go under a different name or brand for larger amts. I'm running low of my 7lb bucket and looking to reorder soon or switch to a better/cheaper oil($1.18/lb for 50 lbs + shp).
BTW my wife made her first 2 (2lb batches cp) and I think she will take over and run this operation :)

Latest posts

Back