Finding rice bran oil?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arielcater

Reaction score
Has anyone in the States had luck finding rice bran oil locally? I've checked Walmart with no luck. I'm very interested in trying it, but I don't want to spend a bunch of money buying a large quantity online if I'm not sure I'll like using it.

I saw a small bottle of it at Home Goods, of all places. I don't know if that is something they have all the time, but they do have a small section of specialty oils there.

I have checked my local health food stores and have not seen it there. I haven't tried our local Asian markets though, I will certainly have a look!

Has anyone in the States had luck finding rice bran oil locally? I've checked Walmart with no luck. I'm very interested in trying it, but I don't want to spend a bunch of money buying a large quantity online if I'm not sure I'll like using it.

You can buy 1 lb from brambleberry on sale right now. But you'd have to pay postage.

arielcater I've been looking for it locally too - I've found 8oz, 120z bottles at the grocery store (Kroger), but the prices were ridiculous - $7.00+ for a small bottle.

Soapers Choice even with the shipping still offers the best value - 7# $12.46/$1.78 per lb. It's a wonderful high oleic oil. It will keep your soap whiter than olive oil. I also think it adds shine.

I will use it as an additive in M&P, and for me personally don't go above 20% in CP/HP. I primarily make low cleansing soaps and I have to balance my oils to prevent DOS - so far so good.

The only places I have ever been able to find it locally is at my local health food store and also as my local Asian market, but since I can only find it on the shelf every once in a blue moon, I have the feeling that it's not something that they regularly keep in stock. My guess it that they specially order some for a customer every once in while and place the excess out on the shelf to sell, then once it's gone, it's gone until the next special request.

IrishLass :)

The only places I have ever been able to find it locally is at my local health food store and also as my local Asian market, but since I can only find it on the shelf every once in a blue moon.
IrishLass :)

It's funny isn't I? In Oz it's one of the main oils on the supermarket shelf along with OO. I guess we grow more rice than the US?
We can't get lard cheaply though.

Try www.ricelandstore.com . The cost is $7.60 per gallon with $5.00 flat rate shipping. I'm in Florida, and it usually takes about a week to get my order. I can't beat that price. I haven't seen RBO anywhere locally; except health food stores, and it was extremely pricy for a very small bottle.

Back