Finding MY professional soaping identity

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Phillysoaps, did it help you a lot? were you able to get started successfully and survive on a basic income?

Soap_for_breakfast said:
Thank you for your advice on the subject of selling :) . Isn't it always a little bit of a contraversial subject when it happens? lol.

I wonder if AshleyR is reading this thread? I say that because I know she's completing the SEB program in Canada and starting a B&B business (saw her youtube vid). I'm actually thinking of applying for the same thing in about 6months or so. It's not called SEB in the UK, it's something else but basically it's a government run scheme which enables people who have been out of work for more than 3 months to start their own business, helps them get started etc.

So that's where I'm at. I just figured I now have 6 months of CP soap making behind me....wow time flies :shock:

Is there anyone else on this forum who has completed/is completeing a SEB type of placement?

I am in the UK as well and I am starting my own business for B&B. I was only made redundant 1 month ago, so I don't qualify for the SEB Thing, I am using my redundancy money for start-up capital and claim JSA instead. Jobsite Plus has information about the SEB thing (I think it's under employer publications), but you need to be unemployed for 6 months to qualify.

It's hard work. The making of the product is actually the least of it. Thats the fun part. But the certifications, paperwork and record-keeping is a pain. Then you need to work out your logo, website, twitter-presence, Facebook Presence (don't forget to register your name on the 28th !!). As I make CP soap, planning ahead to have cured bars was my downfall. I have everything else, but my bars are still curing, so can't sell for another 4 weeks or so. That gives me 4 weeks to check out possible market stalls etc....I am now working more time than I did in my full time job before, but it is so much more fun :lol:

oh, and I wanted to say that I didn't find any of the responses here nasty. They were all well thought out and thanks to carebear to mention all the little things that get forgotten.

Soap_for_breakfast said:
Phillysoaps, did it help you a lot? were you able to get started successfully and survive on a basic income?

That program was my start, it gave you the freedom to begin to make money on your own without the risk of defrauding the government. It took the pressure off so, you did not have to use your time for job search and as a group everyone was supportive. I believe we did about 10 classes on entrepuenuership, with speakers.

So here I ma 10 years later and still in business.

Programs like that seem like a great idea. I'm glad there are things like that available, in these economic times startup businesses have a tough time staying afloat.

Does anyone have any statistics on survival rates of businesses that started under these programs.

So much food for thought on this thread (personality clashing aside).

I have only been making soap for a couple of months and I absolutely love it. I can see where I wouldn't mind using it as an avenue for a little something extra when I retire (it will not be my sole means of support by any means). Partly for a little pin money, partly because it's just so much damned fun. I have owned a craft type business before and have worked the craft fairs, etc. So I have an idea of how that process works. I have also been a successful seller on eBay for many years, so I know how that process works as well.

I guess, unlike some of the newbies, I am not in a big hurry to become a soaping empire. I am considering 2009 my "experimentation year". I am testing recipes, giving away soaps to friends and family and delighting in trying my own creations. It's a rush to step into the shower and try a new bar for the first time, anticipating whether or not what you hoped to create will indeed perform as you expected. Then brainstorming to try and figure out how you can make it a little bit more wonderful the next time.

I have a list of folks who have agreed to be testers for me. They have committed to trying the bars I send them and providing me with a brief report of their opinion about the bar. Sometimes it's hard to be biased about your own creation. I want to know whether or not, if they had paid $4-$5 for the bar, would they do it again. Why or why not?

If this year goes well, if I'm still having fun doing it 6 months from now, if people like it and my feedback is positive, if I have settled on some recipes that I feel are worthy of the cost........ if, if, if....... Then first thing in January I will apply for all the proper licenses and permits, get my tax ID # and stick my big toe in the water. I will continue to take it slow and I will do it as long as it remains fun. I'll just have to see what grows from that.

(By the way, the IRS does allow for what it calls "casual sales" without collecting tax, and I believe you can have $500 income in such sales per year. I would look into that more fully before taking my word for it, but that is what I read somewhere.)

I think I would find the process a lot more daunting if I were under some kind of pressure to fire up a big soap business overnight. I also think that might tempt a person to skip some important steps in the realm of just research, learning and the perfecting of the craft. After all, you are asking folks to trust the largest organ on their body, their skin, to what you are handing them. We have an obligation to make it right, and make it safe.

There is so much to learn (and this forum has been excellent in facilitating that learning). But the learning is a huge part of the fun for me. Many nights I am up to all hours scouring the net for information or reading the latest soaping book I found. I think that this is too important a stage to rush through, at least for me.

I am going to start NOW though, tracking costs meticulously. I am interested to see where my expenses fall in relation to everyone elses. When I have accumulated some hard data, I will report back.

Thank you all for you insights.

Becky

Madpiano, Good luck with your business. I'm definitely going to look into the whole thing at some point. Are you a musician? I am and would never need to rely on selling soap as I have music to back me up.

phillysoaps said:
Soap_for_breakfast said:

That program was my start, it gave you the freedom to begin to make money on your own without the risk of defrauding the government. It took the pressure off so, you did not have to use your time for job search and as a group everyone was supportive. I believe we did about 10 classes on entrepuenuership, with speakers.

So here I ma 10 years later and still in business.

That's great news!

sorry soap for breakfast, I am not a musician. I am as musical as a horny cat at 3am actually.... :lol:

I will see how this pans out for a while. For the last 3 years I was working while the BF was at home. I advised him that he will have to find a job by September, so we can swap for a change. So I won't have to rely on soapmaking to keep us afloat for a while yet.

There really is not much work out there anyways, at least not in what I enjoy doing and wages have dropped quite considerably. So I have a choice of being unemployed and mope, collecting benefits or use this time to start my business with a creative hobby that I enjoy. I have been working in a technical, office based job for the last 13 years. I think it's time to get more creative and spend some time with my teenage daughter before she is all grown up.

Good thing is, that my technical training allows me to set up my own website, run my own servers and fix my own PC....I also did a bank clerk apprenticeship in germany (accounting sorted), worked in pubs and as a stewardess( face to face customer service sorted), worked in call-centres (direct sales training) and know lots of people from all walks of life (mouth-to-mouth advertising).

Whereabouts in the UK are you based ?

I have been delivered...I hope you like me!

I made my first batch of soap in 1982. It was so bad that I tied everything...spoons, spatula, pan, disgusting soap, and all into an old sheet and took it to the garbage. My soap making days were over! To put an exclaimation point on that dismal effort a Barred Rock rooster chased me back to the house...wings a flappin! Ten years ago I tried again, and now I plan to make soap part of my retirement, too. I found this list and loved it! Your posts cover the things I think about. I understand what it's like to eat...breath...think soap 24 hours a day. I understand what it is like have more success at selling my soap than I ever thought possible, and still want to write an email asking for an assessment of where I am, and ask your opinion about what I should do next. Philly I could relate so much to your question about where you were at with your business. So I have experience to share, and many things to learn. I found this group today because I was trying to answer a question.
Recently I purchased a lye tank and an oil tank. I have enough capacity to mix several biggy sized batches into the tanks. They heat the oils and lye to 98. This batch is bigger because I also, now, have bigger molds. My question, less than a week into this new 'bigger batch' endeavor is: How much lye solution should I be using for each batch? Lets say there are 41oz of lye and 103 of water...I am assuming that I should take 144 oz from the tank using both the lye weight and the water weight rather than just the water weight...or is there another formula?

Gee.. I hadn't seen the last few pages of this post till now and I'm a bit shocked. :shock:

There IS a lot of good advice in this thread and I really appreciate that. In fact, I should show it to my husband who thinks that just because I have made a few successful soap batches and people are offering to buy it, I should be selling it.

But I know better and that is because of all the sound advice I have read over the last several months. Maybe years down the line, but certainly not now. But that is what's right for me and everyone's situation is different.

With that said, I want to close by saying that imho Kitn is one of the most welcoming and encouraging members in this forum. Her positive outlook and friendly comments make me want to visit Canada and visit for a cup of joe!

And I am so envious of Carebear's soaping knowledge! With her years of soaping and business experience, she is such a great resource for this forum. I would love to think that one day I could possess a pinky full of what she knows. (I also would love to see pics of your soap!! )

I hope that while we may disagree on some things that our common infatuation with soap will bring us together rather than divide us. And the personal attacks will stop. Kumba ya.

Peace out,

Jude

Mad piano, I'm based in Newcastle at the minute.

heyjude said:
I hope that while we may disagree on some things that our common infatuation with soap will bring us together rather than divide us. And the personal attacks will stop. Kumba ya.

Peace out,

Jude

Well said :D

heyjude said:
Gee.. I hadn't seen the last few pages of this post till now and I'm a bit shocked. :shock:

There IS a lot of good advice in this thread and I really appreciate that. In fact, I should show it to my husband who thinks that just because I have made a few successful soap batches and people are offering to buy it, I should be selling it.

But I know better and that is because of all the sound advice I have read over the last several months. Maybe years down the line, but certainly not now. But that is what's right for me and everyone's situation is different.

With that said, I want to close by saying that imho Kitn is one of the most welcoming and encouraging members in this forum. Her positive outlook and friendly comments make me want to visit Canada and visit for a cup of joe!

And I am so envious of Carebear's soaping knowledge! With her years of soaping and business experience, she is such a great resource for this forum. I would love to think that one day I could possess a pinky full of what she knows. (I also would love to see pics of your soap!! )

Peace out,

Jude

Thank you heyjude , you are more than welcome to visit anytime. I make a mean cuppa joe :D

Latest posts

Back