Finding MY professional soaping identity

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
do you know anyone that can make you a log mold? I love my bars that are all the time. The wood is so cheap, hubby said that it only cost him 3$ to make!!!
Just wonder why you like lard or is it crisco? less expensive.

carebear said:
pin money is one thing
supporting yourself is another.

soaping is expensive = and some don't see just how expensive because many of the costs are buried in other household bills. for example, when I'm on a big soaping run my utility bills go up (water and electricity, mainly). some of my materials costs are included in my grocery bill. and insurance isn't cheap!!!

I could go on and on.

I do make money soaping, but sadly nothing near what it costs to run my household. To do it as my primary means of supporting myself would take oodles of energy and capitol as well. Not to say it cannot be done - clearly some do it. Right now I am saving the money toward my retirement - but let me tell you, a full time soaping job to bring in - say $40K a year AFTER TAXES (which, by the way, wouldn't go far where I live) would take a LOT of soap.

Say your oils cost you $0.80 per bar of soap. Then there are fragrance materials, colorants, packaging. Then business expenses of insurance, an accountant (if you go full time you may need one! at least for taxes), capitol expenditures, utilities, brochures for your wholesale business. Don't forget fuel for your car, plus wear and tear. And even the bins to haul stuff in. Running that dehumidifier and or air conditioning. Hell, buying the humidifier. Kiosk fees and the like aren't cheap - and malls require you to have $1-2 million dollars in liability insurance.

How much does that come to per bar? Let's say your bar cost you $2.50 with all that included. You sell them for $4. Take out your income tax. And you are up to a cost of almost $3 per bar. Say you make, though, $1.20 on a bar of soap in the end. Then you need only sell 33,000 of them to make that $40,000 to live off of! Per year.

(ok, so you sell your stuff nekkid - no packaging. and you only sell at markets with a minimal booth fee, and you forgo taxes. so you make $3 off each bar. great. then you need only sell about 13,300 bars!

AND THAT'S NOT TAKING INTO ACCOUNT PAYING YOURSELF. or anyone else.

Yes, people do it for a living - and that's great. I'd like to. I hope to.
But to support oneself on it is a tremendously CHALLENGING full time job.

If it costs you that much carebear I wonder why you would go to the trouble for so little or no return. It sounds like if you live in a very high cost of living area or live very high on the hog ,you are out of luck to try and make a soap business very profitable. Everyone's socioeconomic status is different , because it would be hard for you , certainly does not mean that no one could do it.
My most luxurious soap costs $1.05 to make + 0.10 for label and packaging .Grand total $1.15 for soap that includes fo color etc. My electricity has not gone up since I started soaping .I do RTCP . ( don't know if that makes a difference or not).My water bill has not changed either . We would be running the AC or furnace and humidifier anyway , but I get to claim the expense on my taxes . I file the grocery bills with any soap supplies in my tax file .The insurance , molds , supplies, gas ,utilities , kiosk fees, the bins , depreciation on my car , internet fees, my cell phone, the accountant ,and anything else purchased for the business is deductible as well as the mortgage and tax portions of the rooms dedicated to making soap. I keep track of all expenditures religiously .
This will be my retirement and I will do well with it .I have 3 years yet to get it perfected . I am retiring early . I have worked **** hard to be able to do it .It can only get better as I learn more , order in larger quantities etc. I don't want to get rich I want to do something I love and make some cash doing it and I will. :D
Just for the record I don't sell yet , but we do have an antiques and collectibles business that I draw the business experience from.
If I made $20,000.00 a year selling soap in my retirement , I would be laughing all the way to the bank. That is 1.217 batches a day or 8.523 a week , I could easily double those numbers and still have 5 days a weeks to play and run the business.
It is as easy or hard as one wants to make it . I am a positive and determined person , if I set out to do something I will do it .

Kitn :D

cdwinsby said:
What should you be doing next?

I always say....practice, practice and then practice some more! Read so much that you have a really great understanding of your ingredients and the process and not just a basic one.

Pretend you're the customer and ask yourself some questions. Any question about the ingredients or the process. If you can answer them easily and knowledgably, then your customer will realize that you know what you're talking about and that you know what you are doing. Makes the customer very happy to purhcase from you.

Professionalism is knowing your business inside and out and being willing to learn every day.

I've been making soap for 10 years now and I'm always learning something new....I think that's why I find it so much fun.

As for 'primative looking'....uneven, chunky soaps are beautiful too! As long as the soap makes your skin feel 'oh, so goooood' then you've got it nailed.

Excellent advice. And, don't be afraid to hand out samples. The hard part is to get the customer to try it. Once they do, most of them are hooked.

Oh, I'm a rich ***** - living high on the hog. Yep, that';s me.

But seriously not all of us live in low-cost-of-living parts of the country. Suburbia ain't cheap. So where you live $20K is a living. Where I live we call that poverty level.

By the way, because the cost of living is higher here, so are the prices we command for our products - so it's not the contrast you pretend it to be.

And no, you won't be able to claim the utilities unless you get separate bills. Nor likely the soaping room - there are very specific laws about assigning space to a business. And you forgot income taxes. You do know it's the law to pay those.

Deductions are great - they come off your profit. But you have to pay them regardless. Even if you depreciate your molds (you really cannot, by the way).

I'm sure you know all this stuff from your other business. I do from mine.

You make that many batches - and then you have to find someone to buy them. It's not all in the making as you know.

I really think it would be great if you could support yourself on it. I'm a big fan of positive thinking. I encourage you to try, but also to have a backup plan.

The whole point being - be realistic, take accurate account of costs, and have a backup plan.

carebear said:
Oh, I'm a rich bitch - living high on the hog. Yep, that's me.

I just knew it!

I have a few thoughts on the subject (not of Carebear's lifestyle) of soapmaking as a business.

Ya'll come here for advice, yet when advice is given that you don't like you scoff, stomp your feet and cry that it doesn't apply to you.

Listen up kiddos, there are some knowledgeable people here, willing to share their ideas on the making of soap, as well as the business side. You would be doing yourself a favor by occasionally actually heeding a little of that advice.

Take all the shortcuts you want, skip the insurance, blow off the FDA regs, to hell with occupancy permits and licensure requirements.
Nobody's gonna find out. Right? Wrong.

If you decided tomorrow you were going to build houses or race go cart or give piano lessons for a living you would learn how before you started.
Right? Isn't making soap like that?

If you want this a business, work it like a business.
Have your insurance (1 million minimum), permits, licenses.
Follow every single FDA guideline.
Have your products thoroughly tested.
Know your soap at 2, 4, 6 and 12 months.
A thousand other things that we don't have the space to list.

Nobody is dashing your dreams, just slow down, learn your craft, it's not a race.

If one of us succeeds in making a successful go in business it makes it that much easier for the next. If you drag your nasty bars of lye heavy soap and sell them from the street corner it makes it harder for all of us.

Deda said:
carebear said:

I just knew it!

I have a few thoughts on the subject (not of Carebear's lifestyle) of soapmaking as a business.

Ya'll come here for advice, yet when advice is given that you don't like you scoff, stomp your feet and cry that it doesn't apply to you.

Listen up kiddos, there are some knowledgeable people here, willing to share their ideas on the making of soap, as well as the business side. You would be doing yourself a favor by occasionally actually heeding a little of that advice.

Take all the shortcuts you want, skip the insurance, blow off the FDA regs, to hell with occupancy permits and licensure requirements.

If you decided tomorrow you were going to build houses or race go cart or give piano lessons for a living you would learn how before you started.

Nobody is dashing your dreams, just slow down, learn your craft, it's not a race.

If one of us succeeds in making a successful go in business it makes it that much easier for the next. If you drag your nasty bars of lye heavy soap and sell them from the street corner it makes it harder for all of us.

Well said...

Hey Deda,

As a newbie I think your advice is sound and practical and I am taking it! Learning from others experiences has always worked for me. Thanks!

carebear said:
Oh, I'm a rich ***** - living high on the hog. Yep, that';s me.

But seriously not all of us live in low-cost-of-living parts of the country. Suburbia ain't cheap. So where you live $20K is a living. Where I live we call that poverty level.

By the way, because the cost of living is higher here, so are the prices we command for our products - so it's not the contrast you pretend it to be.

And no, you won't be able to claim the utilities unless you get separate bills. Nor likely the soaping room - there are very specific laws about assigning space to a business. And you forgot income taxes. You do know it's the law to pay those.

Deductions are great - they come off your profit. But you have to pay them regardless. Even if you depreciate your molds (you really cannot, by the way).

I'm sure you know all this stuff from your other business. I do from mine.

You make that many batches - and then you have to find someone to buy them. It's not all in the making as you know.

I really think it would be great if you could support yourself on it. I'm a big fan of positive thinking. I encourage you to try, but also to have a backup plan.

The whole point being - be realistic, take accurate account of costs, and have a backup plan.

I knew it too :wink:

Your advice is pertinent to you or those who live in your state or country , think about that when you post . I live in Canada surely you don't propose to know the tax laws here . I can and will deduct my soap making space and utilities etc and everything else I posted about in my last post . If I didn't pay my taxes , I sure as heck wouldn't be talking about deductions , would I now. If there is no contrast , there is something wrong with your business model you talked about charging $4.00 a bar , maybe that isn't enough to make a real profit ? You are assuming I would live off the 20K , no dear, that is my pin money . Why would one depreciate a mold ? It gets worn out or ruined you buy another , a mold is a little different than a car , at least where I live, it is .
I am being totally realistic and don't really need a back up plan , as phillysoaps and others have stated this is retirement money , not a living , there is a huge difference in the two .

Just for the record I have home and business insurance and follow the Canada Health Regulations to the letter , regarding labeling , ingredients etc. I have an accountant , I pay taxes . I have been making soap for 7 months now and learn something everyday which will help greatly when I start selling in the next 4 or 5 months.

Good advice is always accepted graciously .

Kitn

Kitn

Deda said:
carebear said:

I just knew it!

Deda is this not a universal soap making forum ? Some of the advice given is not applicable to me or any other soap maker that does not live in the good old US of A.

Kitn

Kitn said:
Deda is this not a universal soap making forum ? Some of the advice given is not applicable to me or any other soap maker that does not live in the good old US of A.

Kitn

Geez Louise Kitty - You're splitting hairs. Take what you will and leave the rest. Everyhone here is only trying to help.

For posterity...
Ya'll come here for advice, yet when advice is given that you don't like you scoff, stomp your feet and cry that it doesn't apply to you

bariaSoap said:
I'm noticing that some of the more successful soap makers/sellers have a really specific niche. Some of them go for more modern looks/packaging, some more 'country' looking.. some more 'organic' looking.. it really all depends on your target demographic of those you believe you will be selling to.

I think the business plan idea is a great one! Don't be afraid to tweak your ideas/goals along the way!

Yes, this is what I was going to say too. This business (http://www.billiegoatsoap.com.au) was on the news a while back, they are a VERY successful handmade soap operation. Their success was mostly due to the their specific niche market of being goats milk soap and appealing to the people with skin conditions, as well as having the authentic fresh goats milk. It looks like they mostly sell to pharmacies and specialty stores all over the country, and probably have a really loyal following of people who have felt the benefits to their skin conditions from the soap. There is a good clip from the show they were on about how they got started and became successful.

Although the goats milk market niche is probably a bit full, it just takes some really creative brain storming and experimenting to find something really unique and special to offer that will give your venture an identity. It could be a soap of convince (like the invention of soap on a rope!), a soap service (like custom soaps), a medicinal soap (like the goats milk), or whatever cool soap invention you can think of! I suppose most people in the population are happy to just buy cheap crap soap off the shelf and most either don't know handmade soap exists or the benefits of handmade soap or think that it's too expensive for everyday use, so people really need a reason to make the effort to get something special (like a skin condition) and/or your soap needs to be somewhere convenient (like at health food stores, pharmacies, hotels, malls, specialty stores).

Anyway, just some ideas! I know that there can be a lot of discouragement and caution when thinking about selling your products, and that can be a bit of a confidence deflater (heck, it makes me feel down), but I think that with a positive attitude, innovative ideas, confidence in your abilities, using your strengths and working on your weaknesses, success certainly is possible - who knows if YOU will be the next Billy Goat soap! I'm sure the lady that stared Billy Goat soap didn't know she would one day be running a very successful soap business, but she sure would not have succeeded if she had a doubtful attitude that it would not be possible to make a living from soap making. It's manifest destiny - if you are always thinking positively about your ventures you will be able to see the oppertunities to help you succeed, if you are doubtful and negative you will only see the walls in your way and focus on the what brings you down. If you are positive a confident it will definitely make your customers feel like they want to have a slice of that happiness, and feel great using a positive product from a confident positive person!

There is a big picture, that is made up of small pictures. Insurance, regulations, fees, and admin issues are only a small picture, and is just a matter of doing some research, filling out forms, and dishing out the money when you decide to begin. But these things are just a small part of the overall picture, and can sometimes be over stressed, it is important to not forget the overall big picture and not get overwhelmed by the small pictures.

You can achieve your goals! With the right attitude and great ideas, you'll see the oppertunities that are out there :)

For those of you who haven't read this yet....

Anne-Marie Faiola (aka, the Soap Queen) posted a nine day series on 'Kick Starting Your Business'. It's filled with some fantastic advice on how to focus yourself and create your business plan.

http://soap-queen.blogspot.com/2009/01/ ... -nine.html

I've posted the last day in the series since it lists links to all nine days at the bottom.

I must confess that I have yet to do this BUT it is on 'The List'. :D

MrsJones said:
Kitn? Are you this way with everyone you cross paths with?

It seems to me, a definite outsider, yet a soapmaker all the same, that everytime you have a disagreement you go on the attack?

I've been reading your posts over the last weeks and am starting to notice a trend. Why is that?

Miss Carebear, Miss CDWinsby, Miss Deda and many of the others seem to be trying to guide you and some of the other newer soapers through a few of the bumps in the road and you just act like a prepubescent child. You will have what you want, when you want it and how you want it.

I sorely hope for your sake that your demeanor on this forum is not indicative of your business acumen.

I don't know if it is appropriate for me to weigh in on this but I personally feel there is something that needs to be said. Kitn has been extremely kind to me as have most people on this forum. I think the untold story on this forum is that there is another forum that is very unkind to newbies. It is a place where it seems anything goes and that perhaps those who have participated on both forums may have feeling related to incidents and attitudes that have happened there.

I can only tell my story. I jumped in on a thead that was controvercial...and I was cussed at, badgered, taunted and then one person encouraged by all the online melee on another forum started to harrass me in real life. Luckily the person was a minor and not to good about covering their tracks and I was able to contact their parents.

I'm not a fan of any online biting out a person's back. We need to just agree to disagree, or discuss points not personality. And those who ARE carrying stuff over from other forums and past disputes need to recognize and admit what they are doing.

cdwinsby said:

Anne-Marie Faiola (aka, the Soap Queen) posted a nine day series on 'Kick Starting Your Business'. It's filled with some fantastic advice on how to focus yourself and create your business plan.

I've posted the last day in the series since it lists links to all nine days at the bottom.

Great Link! Thanks!

cdwinsby said:

excellent link...will read tonight :D

artisan soaps said:
cdwinsby said:
I was up at 4:30 this morning...jumped straight out of bed to go and cut soap...even before coffee...now that's nuts! :roll:

:shock: Yes that is nuts! Coffee then soap cutting - your lines will be straighter :lol:

Good luck Philly, I wish you well .. And I think if you just keep experimenting and playing with the ingredients you love, that you will come up with some wonderful soaps you'll be proud to put your name to ..

I also jump up like christmas morning, excited to see how each batch set up overnight.

I will definately keep on...and today believe it or not I think I met my future business partner. I'd advertised for a partner of sorts for this new phase of my life and a woman in her 40's with a 10 year old, looking to move to Philly from another state finally came over to meet me.

I shared about my soap business, and she's a published writer who has fallen on hard times, she writes about holistic health...and I'm so excited we "clicked". So ya never know where the road can take you being involved with something as simple as soap.

Philly, can you do some simple constructions with scrap wood, or do you know someone that can do it for you? I have two wooden log molds that I have been using for years, and they are wonderful. They are super simply made, from scrap pallet wood. They costed almost nothing to make. I paid a friend a few dollars to make them for me and they are the bomb. Mine are (inside dimensions) 8" wide, 4" deep and 18" long. The logs are spilt down the middle and then cut into 1" slices and makes 36 bars of soap that is 3" or 4" (depending on how full I pour the mold) x 4" x 1". This is an affordable option for making many uniform bars at a time.
Hope this helps!

Philly, I definitely know what you mean about the combative attitude on other forums, and like you I really find it to be a huge turnoff. I found that if there was ever mention of a newbie even thinking about a business in the future, there was a gang of soap police ready to run them down and tell them they were not good enough, didn't have the skills, couldn't manage the responsibilities, and that they were hopeless and unrealistic.

It's all well and good to be prepared, but there was so much unnecessary discouragement, bullying and negativity, and assumptions about who people were and what they were capable of, when these people were really just looking for some positive support and ideas, not a scolding.

Anyway, that's why I love this forum, most of the time there is positive support and positive, friendly, non-judgmental, advise - even constructive criticism need not be attacking, and is much more useful when it feels like a friends support rather than a strangers judgement.

Thank you for sharing with us the plans for your retirement! That's the good thing about forums is that you can share a common part of your life with people of similar interests, and maybe connect with people with similar plans for retirement and share in the journey in a supportive environment.

It sounds like you are off to a great start and I am sure you will get more than just money from your experience! :)

Latest posts

Back