Finding a Niche

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have never once asked for everyone on here to do things for me and i've read old posts from other newbies and they were all told the same thing too.
I know that I need insurance, license, etc...that's why i think i've decided to quit selling for now and shut down my website.
Thanks for the info..

jenmarie82 said:
So should i close down my website and stop selling?

How long have you been making mp? Have you tested on family members or friends? Like I said although its easy to make but it only helps you more if you research before selling? Just because a supplier says its great for sensitive skin meaning its natural but they could still get a reaction. No one can say when your ready to sell except you.

I use it on myself and my daughter and other moms have used it too and they've never had a problem.

hi jenmarie

:p that you don't have a problem with it doesn't say much about the rest of the world :wink: people can react on pretty much everything; for example, peanuts are natural, but i know people that die when they would eat 1 :wink:
but besides that; you have a lot of questions. it would have been better to have asked all those questions before you opened a shop.
myself, i'm busy now for months, making scheme's of all the recipes i found, adjusting them to what i want, looking around to what other people do (you have to KNOW the market inside out) reading in to all things to do with soap (and yes there is a lot to learn) calculating prices, finding the best/cheappest supplier, designing labels ( wat are you obliged and what is legitimate), creating an online shop, learning about rules about taxes and so on...
I've been seeing this as a job, working on it for 2.5 months now, at least 8 hours a day, 6 days a week :roll: I hope to open in 10 weeks from now :)
i think it must be very hard doing this all after you opened you shop; you'll have to provide your customers with a constistant flow of your product and learn so much at the same time :wink:

Well I guess so but what can I do now? I've worked really hard getting my website up and running and i don't want to just cancel it now. Plus what would I tell the lady that wants to wholesale with me? That I decided not to do this after all? I don't have anyone around me to try the soaps...all my family and friends are far away, I'd have to ship it to them and that could get expensive. So I don't know what to do.

I had no idea there was so much to making soap.

I've been reading the posts and decided to add my 2 cents worth. I think that you have the makings of a good business :) . Do not get discouraged. It's hard when you start up and there is alot of information to digest which can be over-whelming. My only advice is do not sell any soap that you yourself cannot or will not stand behind. If you're not happy with the product it will come through to your customers. I wish all the best of luck.

jenmarie82 said:
Well I guess so but what can I do now? I've worked really hard getting my website up and running and i don't want to just cancel it now. Plus what would I tell the lady that wants to wholesale with me? That I decided not to do this after all? I don't have anyone around me to try the soaps...all my family and friends are far away, I'd have to ship it to them and that could get expensive. So I don't know what to do.

I had no idea there was so much to making soap.

I understand what your going through. I started out making candles first, then soap, and then everything else! I thought I would just make a website and all good because I made all of 10 votives so I'm an expert! Come to find out its a lot of work and there were lots of things I didn't know like wick sizes and what to use them for. Also like calculating wax how to use color chips or whatever. My point is after joining forums and just reading all the information I decided not to because I wasn't ready. But, that also meant one day I would be and only I would know when the time is right. Hell I'm still learning little tricks and things and loving it. I tested all my products on family and friends and their the ones that suggested I sell! My point is go slow you may think you've learned everything but someone will join this forum and teach me something I would never have thought of!

Oh, I agree...i know I still have a LOT to learn but i guess my question right now is whether or not I should try to sell the soap i've already mastered. I'm supposed to drop off samples to a bed and breakfast tomorrow and after all this discussion, I feel discouraged and like I shouldn't even do it.
I don't have insurance, no business license, etc..
So I don't know what to do.

Have you tried putting together a 5 year business plan & approaching your bank for a start up loan? That would help with insurance, etc.

Faith,trust and shoulder to the grindstone

Hey Gen, you had the heart to try.
Now you need all through life to take leaps of faith.
Only by pushing on ,no matter what will you acheive your lifes goals.
All sorts of things can and do happen in life.
It's up to you , it really is.
Dream a really big dream.Take the time out to viualise your self accepting large orders,then visualise seeing the Extatically happy customers when you are delivering your gorgeous soaps.
How to get your ingrediants.Scrimp and save from your budget.
I notice that no matter how little cash I might have if I get emotional about something I find the money for it.
Tell all your friends and family that from now on you are happy to accept these ingredients you need for birthdays ,xmas etc.Sure it feels cheeky but they will get caught up in the fun of it.
And laugh a little.
Starting up a soap buisness should be a lark not a crisses.
Most of all dont forget to celebrate every little success.
Go girl
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm curious to see what you have been making so far. Is your web site still up, even if nothing is for sale?

I've been soaping since about April. Haven't made a dime, but the $400 or so I spent on supplies sure has felt like a tuition payment to me. I have a circle or friends/coworkers that get a bar of everything, and they tell me what they think. I was so excited this last time around that most of them insisted on giving me a couple dollars to cover my cost for supplies, saying that they were too good to take for free. One even asked me to make a custom one for her to use for Christmas presents, she offered to pay for supplies and make a 'donation'. So, I know I am on the right track - but it will be at least another year before I start seriously selling soap.

Yes, honey, there is a lot to making soap. Especially if you are going to have a business. I had a lady ask me if I wanted to be her soapmaker. I thought long and hard about this and I declined. I enjoy making for myself and friends and family. I don't want it to be a task. I love the candle business that I have and it's been with me for 8 years. I may change my mind someday,but for now, I want to learn and grow. Improve my skills. Have proper insurance and information. I am not trying to discourage you. Just trying to tell you that you don't have to leap now before you are ready. I told you before you have a wonderful website and talent. You have gone so far already!

Thank you but what am I supposed to do when someone wants to place an order? Tell them no because I'm not ready to sell?...that I don't have insurance so I can't sell after all? What am I supposed to do?

You need to take a look at where you are at. Do you want to sell soaps without the proper license and insurance and risk lawsuits and other legal troubles? Do you have reliable, steady suppliers? Can you fill large orders on demand in a timely manner? Are you able to purchase in bulk? Do you know down to the very penny how much it costs you to make every variety of soap that you are going to carry? What about the cost of labels, Shipping? Shipping supplies? It is because of these matters and quite a few more that I declined the offer to become a soapmaker. I am trying very gently to tell you. You need to save for these things. It takes money to have a business. Having a business can very easily frazzle you, especially if you have to wear all of the hats. Take this slow. What I did was made candles long ago. I perfected my recipe, Got my license and business affairs in order, purchased all of my supplies in bulk and went for my dream. I only had 5 fragrances to choose from. Now I have about 150. I don't know what you should tell your business contacts but that is my personal experience. Good luck.

Latest posts

Back