Finchberry Type soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just curious, why do you not like high oo soaps? Im always learning.. :)

Does anyone know if Finchberry is made cold process style or is it melt and pour?

What a lovely website! I luv it! If I didn't make soap I'd buy theirs!
https://www.finchberry.com/?gclid=C...FX7t08aqLX_VTUgOVEqLRj5bu06fFBOYaAmJ_EALw_wcB
Based on the ingredients list, it's not melt and pour. Typical of many popular handcrafted soaps I've seen online, this is a variation of the Basic Trinity of Oils starter formula, with a bit of shea butter subbed for the amount of palm oil.

Ingredients​

Purified water, saponified oils of organic olive, organic coconut, palm, shea butter, select essential and/or fragrance oils.

SoapCalc Printout attached. 🥰

Keep in mind, as soapmakers we learn what our skin likes or doesn't like and we formulate accordingly.

FYI: The Basic Trinity of Oils is suitable for all skin types in most cases. That's why "olive, coconut, palm" (and variations thereof) shows up in the ingredient list of so many top-selling handcrafted soaps you find online.

I found this out when I was asked by customers to dupe their favorite soaps. If you haven't already done so, try it. Most likely you will like it. And so will your customers if you sell. It's a good thing. :thumbs: ;)

Attachments

• Finchberry CP.pdf
    68.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Does anyone know if Finchberry is made cold process style or is it melt and pour?
From the ingredients it's not Melt & Pour and from the look of the bars, it's Cold Process.

It looks like a fairly standard recipe of Olive, Coconut and Palm Oils and Shea Butter and appear to favor Zinc Oxide as opposed to Titanium Dioxide.

I vote with @cmzaha. I don't care for the Trinity recipes at ALL. Besides the high OO (makes my skin itch), I also don't care for palm oil (also makes me itch). Plus, CO above 20% dries me out terribly.

So while the basic trinity recipe may be a good practice recipe for newbies, for my skin, the actual soap is as bad as a commercial beauty bar like Dove.

But a nice high-lard recipe with lower CO, plus some avocado or sweet almond oil, a titch of castor, and goat milk (I use powdered) ... now we are talking. :)

Last edited:
So while the basic trinity recipe may be a good practice recipe for newbies,
🥰 It is indeed. Here's just one of many testimonials

"Holy Trinity" used in Milk Soap

a nice high-lard recipe with lower CO, plus some avocado or sweet almond oil, a titch of castor, and goat milk (I use powdered) ... now we are talking.
:thumbs: I also LUV lard soaps! Also a good starter soap -- Cheap and easy to access ingredients locally. 85% lard, 10% coconut, 5% castor -- it doesn't get any better than that! Read more:

https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/grocery-store-soap-challenge.83534/
@Kizzy Thank you!!! I just noticed you revived an old thread from Jan 2021 thus stimulating an interesting discussion as well as some legitimate responses to your query.

It would be good to keep in mind that sensitivity to any FAs (Fatty Acids) is not all that common. It's good to be aware, but don't hold back just because someone else is allergic.

That's the greatest thing about handcrafted soap! Through Trial & Error you can find a formula for what works best for your own skin and move on to discover recipes that work well for others -- i.e., friends, family, and customers if you sell. That's where the BTO comes in handy. :nodding:

HTH (Hope This Helps) ?

Last edited:
When I first started soaping I used the Trinity oils. My skin felt blessed as opposed to the detergent bars that I had been trying out. Then after a couple of years, I noticed that my skin was itching again. I changed out the palm for lard which improved but didn't get rid of the itch completely. I tried upping the olive oil because from the old books I read, you couldn't get better than a true Castile Soap. That didn't help.

Then I discovered this site in one discussion several people said they disliked olive oil because it made their skin itch. My next bar of soap had no olive oil in it and the difference was amazing. Now my go to bar is lard, rice bran oil, some type of butter and maybe another soft oil like avocado or sweet almond. I no longer have the itch or a tight feel after my showers. And rarely have to slather on some kind of lotion every day. I will never use olive oil again in my soaps.

I think the Trinity oils are a great starting point for any soaper. But everyone's skin is different and what works for some will not work for all. Be prepared to change...especially as you age, I think

But everyone's skin is different and what works for some will not work for all. Be prepared to change...especially as you age, I think
So true!
I will never use olive oil again in my soaps.
In contrast, i'm aging as well and my face loves the dense creamy lather of ZNSC that I wash my face with daily, AM and PM. A gal recently asked if she could touch my face. She could not believe I was 79 years old -- she was amazed. I do not wear make-up. That helps, I think.

That being said, I use my 50/50 Lard/PKO Hair & Body Shampoo in the shower.
I soak in DETOX BATH SALTS once a week.
I'm currently using a rebatched Basic Trinity of Oils hand soap at the kitchen sink.
I LUV bubble baths and bathe often with whatever soap I'm test-driving at the time. Currently, 85% lard, 10% coconut & 5% castor.

Others: Zany's Palm Olive and Zany's 67% Shea Butter.

The one soap I haven't tried yet, and is still on my "Round To It" List is a salt bar made with 100% Coconut, 20% SF and salt.

Learning to make handcrafted soap is a journey, not a destination. After all these years, I'm still on that journey and enjoying every minute of it!

HTH 🥰

Back