Finch eggs!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've never been a bird keeper Obsidian, but my MIL has had more Finches, Parakeets, Lovebirds, Canary's etc, etc than I can count so she's very excited about this! I'm keeping positive thoughts for your girl's health and keeping my MIL posted. This is very exciting!

this brings back childhood memories. My dad brought home a pair of parakeets and the female got egg bound and passed. Wonderful seed diet but I don't recall we ever fed greens. I'm wondering if some sort of oil fed with an eye dropper might help...

Looks like she has stopped at 3 eggs which is good, I want her to recover from whatever was ailing her. I was afraid she would just keep producing and really tax her system.

this brings back childhood memories. My dad brought home a pair of parakeets and the female got egg bound and passed. Wonderful seed diet but I don't recall we ever fed greens. I'm wondering if some sort of oil fed with an eye dropper might help...

I've bred zebra finch and parakeets in the past. If I had a large house or lived where I could have outside aviaries, I would have more birds.

I know back in the day, a varied seed mix was considered the best but we now know that a all seed or even mostly seed diet can be downright deadly for caged birds. They aren't active enough in your typical home environment and seeds can cause fatty liver and fatty deposits on/in the intestines.

I lost my beloved parakeet jules years back at three years old due to a fatty tumor that was pressing on his organs. I didn't even know he was sick until it was too late.

I'm working on switching my finches to pelleted and fresh foods. They nibble at the pellets but won't touch greens yet. It can be really hard to teach a adult bird that new things are food. Once they start tasting stuff, it gets easier.

Ingested oil won't help with passing eggs. Everything might come out from the same end but it doesn't originate from the same system.

She is doing great, never would have guessed she was so ill a few days ago. Lost one of the eggs though, not sure if they ate it or if it got buried under the nest material.
At this point it looks like only one egg might be fertile, I really need to candle them.

Mantids are also doing great. They've pretty much got their adult colors last molt. They are still small enough it's hard for me to really see details do I've not sexed then yet.
Just moved them into 32 oz deli cups and fed them, I'll get pics later. It's amazing how different they look.

Would love to see pics of your cham. Is he getting more color yet?

I am so glad to hear she is doing well. The loss of the egg is a shame, but the loss of mom would have been so much worse. Hopefully you will see some signs of life if you candle the egg.

Not a whole lot of color. Today some blue such as the color of a Nosy Be, but could be mommies wishful thinking. But at least did not go peachy brown which is the female color.

I candled the eggs this morning and only one was good. Wasn't sure if I should remove it or not but I didn't want to risk a bad egg breaking so I took it out.

bad news, the last egg didn't make it. The day before it was due to hatch, she stopped sitting on it and it got really cold. I decided to take it and the nest out today. I did open the egg, the baby was fully formed and ready to hatch:( I don't know why she let it die but we'll try again in a bit.

Back