Finally using cured soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, I went back through the posts. I see you used 30% OO and 25% Canola, there are 2 kinds of Canola, regular and high Oleic. If it wasn’t high Oleic, then it was high linoleic, which also contributes to the slimy feel. So basically if you cure it longer, it may have a better feel in a couple of months.
Sorry, I couldn't get on the site for a bit to answer your question - then I got distracted! I looked on the bottle and couldn't find anything that might tell me if it was HO or otherwise. I looked for some kind of number that indicates high or low but nothing but nutritional values. I'm in Canada so not sure if there is a difference here.

Edit: I just found this on google. "Canola oil is one of the healthiest oils in the marketplace with zero trans fat and cholesterol, healthy monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats, and the lowest amount of saturated fat of all common culinary oils. Today, there are two types of canola oil: commodity or classic, which is sold at retail, and high-oleic or high-stability, which is newer and sold almost exclusively to food companies and food service operations. " So this basically states if I'm buying retain (which I am) then it is not HO. This is from the Canola Council of Canada.

For me, slimy soap has actually snotty slime form on the bar.
Silky is just a nice slick bar with slippery lather.

Here is a video of my Castile, this is about as slimy as it gets.

That looks like something out of ghostbusters lol. Does the slime get better with age or is it always gonna be like that?

Sorry, I couldn't get on the site for a bit to answer your question - then I got distracted! I looked on the bottle and couldn't find anything that might tell me if it was HO or otherwise. I looked for some kind of number that indicates high or low but nothing but nutritional values. I'm in Canada so not sure if there is a difference here.

Edit: I just found this on google. "Canola oil is one of the healthiest oils in the marketplace with zero trans fat and cholesterol, healthy monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats, and the lowest amount of saturated fat of all common culinary oils. Today, there are two types of canola oil: commodity or classic, which is sold at retail, and high-oleic or high-stability, which is newer and sold almost exclusively to food companies and food service operations. " So this basically states if I'm buying retain (which I am) then it is not HO. This is from the Canola Council of Canada.
High Oleic is available at my local supermarket, & that is what I buy. I think high Oleic is available at soap suppliers. Otherwise Canola is high in linoleic.

In the end I'm trying to limit the amount of oils I use and Canola won't be one of them. I only bought a small bottle from the dollar store for this one recipe - when it's done, I won't use it again. Thanks for all the information...

I respectfully disagree. I've used a variety of lye soaps over the years - mine and others because I like to support other people. Some are slimy and some aren't. Some are drying, some feel oily and hard to wash off. Depends on age and composition.

YOU have, but the poster is new to homemade soap and so I responded accordingly.

In the end I'm trying to limit the amount of oils I use and Canola won't be one of them. I only bought a small bottle from the dollar store for this one recipe - when it's done, I won't use it again. Thanks for all the information...
That’s probably best. If you have too many oils in your recipe, you end up not knowing what you like best.

Looks like I should have read these positive canola reviews before hitting "purchase" on my most recent NDA order (literally 90 seconds ago)! Got avocado and castor oils and looked at the canola.....mind you, that's really easy to get at the grocery store.

So weird with the DOS experiences....I just had my first experience with it and am learning that everyone has a "pet" oil that gives them DOS, but they're not all the same!

Reminds me of my water kefir making days where I would always do the *exact same thing* and the water kefir would come out vastly different day to day. Kefir does what it wants, yo!
I’ve been loving avocado oil and castor oil!

I'm loving lard but having said that, I don't have any ready yet to try! I've heard so many ppl say they love their lard soap so I'm hoping that will be the same for me. I also like coconut and avo oil and the harder butters for occasional use.

This is my high oleic canola oil soap used for two weeks after about four months of curing:
repično olje - mehko milo IMG_3206.JPG

It is soft, slick and slimy, with good bubbling, kept outside the house, with sun and wind, and frequent usage.
I am attaching a PDF file of the recipe I used:

And this is what it looked like when I gave it to my family:

IMG_2443.JPG

I carved and coloured the initials of the names of the five boys and they loved it. Even then it was a bit soft and a bit on the slick side.
Although my daughter says they will use it up (and it uses up rather fast) I'd prefer to give it a longer cure of a few months.
What are your opinions?

Attachments

• Repično olje - mehko milo.pdf
    62.6 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
You can tell whether a fat is high oleic or "conventional" (high linoleic) if you look at the label.

The label may contain phrases such as "good for frying or sauteeing" or "high temperature" or even "high oleic," all of which will tell you the oil is a high oleic version.

If there's nothing like that, many times the grams of total fat on the nutrition info will be divided into the grams of saturated, monounsaturated, and polyunsaturated fats.

If the grams of MONO-unsaturated fat is way more than half of the total grams of fat, you have a mid to high oleic fat. Monounsaturated fat is oleic acid.

If the grams of POLY-unsaturated fat is more than half, it's conventional. Polyunsaturated fats are the linoleic, linolenic, etc. fatty acids.

For those who want more details, see Soapy Stuff: High oleic, mid oleic, and regular oil

Back