Finally used accelerating FO to my advantage!!!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
One of my biggest frustrations in my 11 months of soap making has been accelerating fragrance oils. I finally got brave – and organized – enough to use that power to my advantage.

I made a 3-layered soap in a small loaf mold (600g of oil).

Here's what I did: I had all my mica and fragrance oil measured out in separate cups (I use espresso cups), 3 cups of mica + 3 cups of FO, one for each layer.

At emulsion, I divided the batter evenly into 3 measuring cups. For each one, I added the mica, mixed and then added the FO. I had about 1 second to mix in the FO and pour into the mold. It hardened almost immediately. Then I went back to do the next one. The layers came out very straight, and it was easy to pour the next layer because the soap was hard already.

Here's the result:
Fresh rain loaf.jpg

55th batch -Fresh Rain Layered Soap.jpg

The fragrance is Fresh Rain, hence the shades of blue.
I'm really happy and excited about how it came out!

ETA: It's the same soap. The colors just look different because of the different camera angles. The in-real-life colors are closest to the cut soap.

That is perfectly beautiful soap. I love the color gradient. Bravo!

I have been successfully avoiding accelerating fragrances for 10 months, but you’re pushing me closer to giving them a try. :)

P.S. love the old school graph paper!

Wow.. that's gorgeous! I've been trying that technique and failed 2 times, so well done on the first try!

Thanks for your responses!! Such kind words!
It's very tricky because I think it has to be a certain kind of accelerating FO. Not the soap-on-a-stick, solid-the-moment-it-hits-the-batter FO, but one that gives you a second or two to mix in the fragrance and pour into the mold.

One of my biggest frustrations in my 11 months of soap making has been accelerating fragrance oils. I finally got brave – and organized – enough to use that power to my advantage.

Good job. Understanding how colarants and scents work with your recipe is key and you can make some beautiful soap...as you have shown with even the fussiest of them.

If you don’t mind answering a question - did you use three different amounts of the same mica, or different micas colors? I’m still trying to figure out how best to get pale colors using micas. For example, is it best to use a pale mica color to start with, add TD to a darker mica, or use less of a darker mica?

If you don’t mind answering a question - did you use three different amounts of the same mica, or different micas colors? I’m still trying to figure out how best to get pale colors using micas. For example, is it best to use a pale mica color to start with, add TD to a darker mica, or use less of a darker mica?
I'm happy you asked! I used the same mica - Peacock Blue by Micas and More - in decreasing amounts with each layer. However, I wasn't sure how much contrast I was going to get, so to increase my chances of contrast I used White Satin Mica for the top layer in addition to the blue.

Each layer was only 200g of oils, so amounts were small. Actual amounts: 1/4 tsp on bottom layer, 1/8 tsp on middle layer, 1/16 tsp + 1/2 tsp White Satin on top layer. Others may have a different method, but this worked for me.

ETA: I had used Peacock Blue previously and knew how vibrant it is. So, at least for the first (bottom) layer, I knew what the result would be.

Last edited:
I'm happy you asked! I used the same mica - Peacock Blue by Micas and More - in decreasing amounts with each layer. However, I wasn't sure how much contrast I was going to get, so to increase my chances of contrast I used White Satin Mica for the top layer in addition to the blue.

Each layer was only 200g of oils, so amounts were small. Actual amounts: 1/4 tsp on bottom layer, 1/8 tsp on middle layer, 1/16 tsp + 1/2 tsp White Satin on top layer. Others may have a different method, but this worked for me.

ETA: I had used Peacock Blue previously and knew how vibrant it is. So, at least for the first (bottom) layer, I knew what the result would be.
Thank you!

Lovely way to use to your advantage that which is usually seen as a detriment!

I love the inspiration....seeing how those dreaded accelerating FOs can actually create such beautiful soap. Way to go! I have not yet mastered that straight of lines, and don't have the patience to mix up mutiple batches of soap to give the layers time to harden in between pourings. So I like the idea!

Latest posts

Back