Finally got my garden going again!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My Tower at sunset last night:
IMG_5529Sunset10222020Resized640.JPG

And this morning I noticed 3 peppers growing on my Lunchbox Pepper plant:
IMG_5531ThreeLumchboxPeppers10222020Resized640.JPG

IrishLass :)

So much growth in less than one week!

Taken last Friday on Halloween:
IMG_5552Tower10312020Resized640.JPG

Taken 5 days later Nov 4:
IMG_5564Tower11042020Resized640.JPG

My first baby tomato growing on my Ceylon Mini Beefsteak plant! There is also a second baby growing in the lower right of the pic, but it's impossible to see it because it's pointed downward:
IMG_5565FirstCeylonTomato11042020Resized640.JPG

And the cukes are growing by leaps and bounds:
IMG_5570Cucumber11062020Resized640.JPG

Everything is growing so fast! I've decided to limit my tomato plants to 3 growth stems each, but they are growing so fast that it's all I can do to daily find all the additional 'suckers' that pop up overnight and pinch them off. lol 😂 And the cucumber plant is growing so fast that I had to top off 2 growth stems that were beginning to invade outward into my tomato space.

My Tower yesterday:

IMG_5585Tower11162020Resized640.JPG

A closeup of the cucumbers. There's more of them than what's pictured, but these were the most easy to access with my camera in one shot:

IMG_5586Cucumbers11162020Resized640.JPG

Everything is growing so much fuller/bigger, especially the tomato plants. It's all I can do to keep the suckers pinched off to make sure things don't get too wild and wooly.

I've been taking harvests of the lettuces, the mints, the basils, the celery for a few weeks now, and today I harvested some kale and collard greens for the first time.

Normally, I've just been picking off only what I need at any given time, but things are growing so fast that twice in the past 5 days I've had to take off much more than that what's immediately needed in order to keep things from getting too out of hand, then bag it & store in the fridge.

I can hardly wait until I can start harvesting the cukes, tomatoes and peppers! 😋

Believe it or not, it's actually autumn here....... at least our version of it anyway. 😁 The high for today was 92 degreesF.

I live in the Sonoran Desert region of the United States where on average we have 299 sunny days out of the year, and where our autumn weather is very comparable to the summer weather of those that live in higher elevations....anywhere from the 70sF to the 90'sF.

In the winter, it starts cooling down to temps that are somewhat comparable to the autumn temps of those that live in higher elevations.... normally anywhere from 50F to 75F for daytime highs. At night the temps range from the mid to high 30's to 45 or so, although it sometimes gets cold enough at night to freeze, but that doesn't happen very often, if it happens at all. Sometimes we have actually gotten a light dusting of snow, but that is extremely rare. Of the few times it has snowed.....it completely melted by about 8 am.

Our spring weather is pretty much a repeat of our autumn temperature range........

..... and our summer temps are in a freakishly hot category all their own. 😂 Folks usually compare the summers here to *h* *e* double hockey sticks ..... triple digit temps every day from pretty much June through September, or even through October.....anywhere from 100F to as high as 122F. That is one of the reasons why I mothball my Tower in the summer. It's not unusual for it to consistently reach 115 for several days in a row in the middle of the summer, which is way too hot for the health of the plant roots..... root rot can set in and things can get ugly. 😬

From September to June, though, the Tower does really well. :)

Latest posts

Back