Figgy Oat Soap from The Essential Herbal

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I love making recipes developed by Marci Tsohonis, who writes for The Essential Herbal magazine. The scent used here is something I came up with and am happy to share. I'm including the recipe if you want to try it. I have people who really love this one, the first batch sold quickly!!

Here it is in the slab mold. Didn't have quite enough batter, but that's ok, I ended up cutting it into blocks that weigh about 6-7 ounces each. Nice handful of soap!

figgy-oat-slab-gel-1437.jpg

Because of the honey and other sugars from the figs, etc, this one gets hot. I watched it carefully, and when the edges reached full gel I put it out into the snow to cool overnight.

figgy-oat-slab-gel1-1439.jpg

Like I said, I cut this into blocks because it wasn't quite thick enough. I could have gone 1.5" but the full 2" cut gives you a nice sized bar. Usually out of this slab I get 30 soaps, this time I got 15.

figgy-oat-slab-cut-1438.jpg

I'll pop the recipe into a new post since the software says I'm trying to post five pictures but I'm only posting four....Technology is great when it works!!

As promised, here is the recipe. Figs add a humectant quality and the enzymes in the fruit are supposed to be good for aged skin - something I'm very familiar with! :) It smells heavenly but don't eat it!

figgy-oat-001-1440.jpg

Thank you so much for sharing your EO blend and recipe! That was very generous of you. The recipe looks great and the soap looks yummy enough to eat!

IrishLass :)

Back