Fiberglass Insulation soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kamahido

Paladin of Soap
Reaction score
A coworker of mine was asking if there was a good soap I could make to help him get fiberglass out of his pores.

I would advise him not to get it in to his pores in the first place! Nasty stuff, fiberglass. Seen many people itching for ages because they handled it incorrectly.

But for when he does get it in the pores, I would actually use something more like a peeling mask. Trying to wash it out might push it further as it is not soluble, but a peeling mask would stick to the bits and then extract them

I have a household member that can not avoid it at times in their profession. Sometimes you have an emergency situation and the people who were supposed to handle it for whatever reason cant. We've had several instances of misery with fiberglass lol. I haven't ever seen a soap to help. Strip down immediately after exposure. Wash clothes alone in hot sudsy water. Twice. Double rinse cycle. Hot shower immediately and suck it up for 48 hours until the itching and irritation subsides.
Sorry but thats all i got. Hopefully someone has a magical solution that can help in these instances:???:

If it's not a large area, maybe Elmer's glue or duct tape? I've used both successfully to remove tiny cactus spines. Leave the Elmer's glue on until it dries, then peel it off. Or slap a piece of duct tape tight on the area, then peel off quickly.

My dad always told me to shower with as cold of water as you can stand, but if its a profession he is likely getting it into his pores with sweating etc anyway. At this point, I would say that he needs to find gear appropriate for the task. He needs denser clothing and tape the cuffs of his sleeves and pant legs to his boots and gloves respectively. Other than that, stock up on duct tape as already mentioned lol.

hahahaha we get that all the time. Hot shower to open the pores and release the fibres, then cold to rinse. DONT SCRUB.
Wash clothes twice in warm or cold, not hot (my colleague thinks hot fuses the fibres to your clothes).
The only thing I think soap could help with would be to help release and rinse the fibres, but you really really really don't want to scrub with anything.

If it's not a large area, maybe Elmer's glue or duct tape? I've used both successfully to remove tiny cactus spines. Leave the Elmer's glue on until it dries, then peel it off. Or slap a piece of duct tape tight on the area, then peel off quickly.

I was going to say the Elmer's glue thing.

I would also say that this may be one time where syndet cleansers would be better since there is no chance of the forming a scum to lock in the fibers.

I use that clear packing tape (MUCH gentler to skin than duct tape, and it leaves your hair still attached to you) to remove all the fibers before showering. I get them every time I go up in the attic.

Back