Festive soap ideas

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sk8rTips

Reaction score
So, as the festive season approaches, I'd love to be able to put some of what I've learned over the last year to work. And what better way than with a suitably festive soap or two? Only...I'm lost for ideas.

In the spirit of the festive season, I'm curious if anyone has ever created any festive themed soaps? Colours? Patterns? Styles? Or, for that matter, given - or received - any special soaps over the holidays? Thinking this might be a neat way to share pics and ideas and spread a little of the festive cheer given we're *checks calendar* oh wow, far too close as it is!

(Seemed like the right forum for this, but if not just let me know! :) )

I JUST NOW came across this lol
Screenshot_20181215-161854.png
On a more serious note.. I've seen a lot of greens and reds in soaps during this time of year.. And a lot of crisp white ones ^^

So, as the festive season approaches, I'd love to be able to put some of what I've learned over the last year to work. And what better way than with a suitably festive soap or two? Only...I'm lost for ideas.

In the spirit of the festive season, I'm curious if anyone has ever created any festive themed soaps? Colours? Patterns? Styles? Or, for that matter, given - or received - any special soaps over the holidays? Thinking this might be a neat way to share pics and ideas and spread a little of the festive cheer given we're *checks calendar* oh wow, far too close as it is!

(Seemed like the right forum for this, but if not just let me know! :) )

Probably too late for this year, seeing there's only 9 days to go. Have a look back in the Photo Gallery for Christmas soaps. A lot of people start making xmas soap quite a few months in advance. When the soap swap happens, the photos of those will be posted.
Colours - red, green, white.
Patterns -some have embeds such as snowflakes, any pattern will do.
I don't receive soap, because I make it to give away.

https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/the-finest-gifts-we-bring.72097/
https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/the-presents-are-wrapped.72526/
https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/my-2nd-christmas-soap-cut-pics-added.71997/
https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/cant-wait-to-unmold.72035/
https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/christmas-gift-soaps.65793/

Last edited:
This post made me wonder about making festive HP soap... it's not too late for that!! I mostly use natural colours... and not experienced in HP, but I'm sure some beautiful swirls could be done!

Nope, too late for HP too. It requires a good cure as well sometimes longer as it requires more liquid to make. CP is just as safe to use as HP after a few days but a good soap it does not make.

Thanks for that info - I thought that I had read that HP was ready to use right away (becuae it's fully saponified).. but I had wondered if a curing time would make a difference..

Thanks for that info - I thought that I had read that HP was ready to use right away (becuae it's fully saponified).. but I had wondered if a curing time would make a difference..

Yeah, that’s common justification from those who like to make and sell in a hurry. Unfortunately they are doing their customers a disservice. CP is fully saponified after 24-72 hours. But we all know a good cure makes much better soap.

HP is ready to use right away. I use my leftover crumbles from the pot right away. It is NOT, however, gonna be at its best right away.

Techinally, it's not too late to MAKE...... If you don't have a zappy soap after several days of curing you can tell your giftees (I'm assuming you're gifting not selling coz otherwise it IS too late) not to use the soaps until so and so day or longer lol sorta like a best before date but in reverse.

Right?

"...Right?..."

I suppose if you know the person well, that might work, but it's not nearly as cool as giving soap when it's at its best and ready to use that day. I mean, what would you think if someone gave you a birthday gift with the warning to not open the package until a month after your birthday? Best idea is to make your holiday soaps early enough so they're cured before the holiday season.

HP fans often claim HP soap is safe and cured and ready for sale a short time after being made while some HP advocates go even further to claim CP soap takes weeks to even be safe to use. That's simply not true in either case.

CP soap is saponified usually within a day or so -- say 3 days max. HP soap is saponified in under a day. After saponification is over, any soap is technically safe to use, but it's not close to being at its best as far as mildness, amount and quality of lather, and longevity. Those properties improve only after the soap cures, and most people cure their soaps, whether HP or CP, for at least 3-4 weeks.

If those reading this don't believe me and the others, you owe it to yourself to test your own soap, whether HP or CP, and see for yourself. Wash your hands with a bar of new soap every few days. Do this starting the day after it's made for at least a month. Keep written records of lather amount, lather quality, and skin feel. See how your soap changes over time and then decide what you think.

I know the OP is new to soaping so I'm not being critical. But this is such a pet peeve of mine where many new soap makers do not really understand that ANY soap will not be its best until a long cure is achieved no matter how you make it. The exception would be M & P.

There is so much more happening after the 4-6 week cure. And it is magical! Unfortunately some never wait to find out. I do a minimum 4 month cure and sometimes more. I make a lot of soap in advance way before I need it.

I see salt bars freshly made that ppl sell right away. I do not. Mine are more then a year old right now and I just sold a half a dozen this week. I'm more then happy to keep them!! LMAO!

"...Right?..."

I suppose if you know the person well, that might work, but it's not nearly as cool as giving soap when it's at its best and ready to use that day. I mean, what would you think if someone gave you a birthday gift with the warning to not open the package until a month after your birthday? Best idea is to make your holiday soaps early enough so they're cured before the holiday season.
Oh, I totally agree.. I just wanted to give the OP an option. Because really, if it's just making her festive soaps, I see no reason she shouldn't if she wants to hehe

We all are telling her she doesn't have enough time to cure them before Christmas.

If those reading this don't believe me and the others, you owe it to yourself to test your own soap, whether HP or CP, and see for yourself. Wash your hands with a bar of new soap every few days. Do this starting the day after it's made for at least a month. Keep written records of lather amount, lather quality, and skin feel. See how your soap changes over time and then decide what you think.
I believe! Hehe.. Before I started making soap I had researched lots and different sources state two different cure times for HP. I was drawn to the look of it, the quicker cleanup and the ability to test for immediate problems like undissolved lye (zap test right after the cook) because as far I saw it, since the soaps are for me n mine, that's the biggest problem. I could rebatch or toss it right away if needed. As a newbie I had wanted to get my recipes right in terms of usability before dwelling on the anesthetics of my soap.

That being said, the test pebbles I get from the crumbles left on my pot are definitely so different from the cured soaps. My first several batches have now been curing since September and you can definitely tell the difference.

Back