Felted Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newlee

Reaction score
Okay, I'm new to soapmaking. Can someone explain to me what a felted soap is? Why would anyone want material around their soap? Does the material dissolve in water or else how do you use the soap?

Okay, I'm new to soapmaking. Can someone explain to me what a felted soap is? Why would anyone want material around their soap? Does the material dissolve in water or else how do you use the soap?
We recently had this as a challenge and it was so fun!! So you basically take wool roving and felt a "washcloth" around your soap. There's lots of fun colors and designs! I now make it for my hubby because he's a HVAC contractor and benefits from the extra scrubbiness after working so hard. It's basically like a built in loofah. The challenge was the first time I made this type of soap and it may not be for everyone, but I like it!! It doesn't dissolve, but the soap does and we just throw it out when it's done.

We recently had this as a challenge and it was so fun!! So you basically take wool roving and felt a "washcloth" around your soap. There's lots of fun colors and designs! I now make it for my hubby because he's a HVAC contractor and benefits from the extra scrubbiness after working so hard. It's basically like a built in loofah. The challenge was the first time I made this type of soap and it may not be for everyone, but I like it!! It doesn't dissolve, but the soap does and we just throw it out when it's done.
AH, okay. Thank you. Makes more sense.

Often the felting around the soap shrinks in size as the soap shrinks, making it tighter around the bar as the bar gets smaller. I have a felted soap sliver that the felting is still very tight around the sliver.

Besides tossing them out, the leftover felting can be used as the inside starter ball for dryer balls. I love my wool dryer balls! They keep my towels so soft and fluffy! Hubby's uniforms never wrinkle! I don't use fabric softener (hate the stuff.)

Cat toys are another use for the spent felt.

Others here have mentioned that they slit open the pocket and insert new soap inside. Of course it depends on how the felting is done. If the wool is felted to the extreme prior to being placed on the soap, it may not continue to felt more than it already has, in which case, slitting a side to create a reusable pocket is feasible. If it is lightly felted at the start, it will continue to shrink in size with the soap and won't leave much of a pocket by the time the soap is small.

I have felted soap wash cloths my SIL gave me, so that's another re-use possibility for the spent felted soap. Or stitch them together to create a hot pad. All kinds of ways the felting can be used again and again if one is so inclined.

I'm not overly fond of using felted soap for myself, but it's fun to make. I sell a few of the felted bars here and there, and I give them to the little kids in my circle of family and friends. The little ones can't eat felted soap, which is what my honorary nephew was once fond of doing with my naked soap. That gave his grandmother fits. The pouch that's left over is a fun toy.

Often the felting around the soap shrinks in size as the soap shrinks, making it tighter around the bar as the bar gets smaller. I have a felted soap sliver that the felting is still very tight around the sliver.

Besides tossing them out, the leftover felting can be used as the inside starter ball for dryer balls. I love my wool dryer balls! They keep my towels so soft and fluffy! Hubby's uniforms never wrinkle! I don't use fabric softener (hate the stuff.)

Cat toys are another use for the spent felt.

Others here have mentioned that they slit open the pocket and insert new soap inside. Of course it depends on how the felting is done. If the wool is felted to the extreme prior to being placed on the soap, it may not continue to felt more than it already has, in which case, slitting a side to create a reusable pocket is feasible. If it is lightly felted at the start, it will continue to shrink in size with the soap and won't leave much of a pocket by the time the soap is small.

I have felted soap wash cloths my SIL gave me, so that's another re-use possibility for the spent felted soap. Or stitch them together to create a hot pad. All kinds of ways the felting can be used again and again if one is so inclined.
Dryer balls! Genius!! Our family has sensitive skin and I'm definitely going to try this!!!

Thank you all. I watched a few videos on felted soap making. Even though it doesn't look hard, it does seem time consuming. I may explore it someday in the future.

Thank you all. I watched a few videos on felted soap making. Even though it doesn't look hard, it does seem time consuming. I may explore it someday in the future.
Not to mention how sore my fingers were after!! Even with the protectors!! They're like barb-y needles that you work with!! It's definitely worth it though!!

Oh. I wet felt my soap. It's faster than needle felting by far. You can reduce the hand work by tumbling the fiber-wrapped soap in the clothes dryer. Sally Gullbrand (sallybea) has some nice tutorials about using the clothes dryer.

Here's my info about felting on soap: https://classicbells.com/soap/feltingTut.asp It's not a tutorial, but I give several links to good tutes by other people at the end of the article.

The only time I'd needle felt is to add fine details. But I rarely would want to do that, unless it's an extra special gift.

Oh. I wet felt my soap. It's faster than needle felting by far. You can reduce the hand work by tumbling the fiber-wrapped soap in the clothes dryer. Sally Gullbrand (sallybea) has some nice tutorials about using the clothes dryer.

Here's my info about felting on soap: https://classicbells.com/soap/feltingTut.asp It's not a tutorial, but I give several links to good tutes by other people at the end of the article.

The only time I'd needle felt is to add fine details. But I rarely would want to do that, unless it's an extra special gift.
Would the soap bouncing in the dryer dent the soap?

I've always been curious about felted soap too.

1. Would there be lather?
2. Would the soap be in continual state of wetness, after use? Wouldn't it take long for the felt to dry?
3. Does the wool get moldy? Thanks!

2. Would the soap be in continual state of wetness, after use? Wouldn't it take long for the felt to dry?

Yes, there is lather, as much as your recipe allows.
No, the soap does not have to be continually wet, but that depends on the conditions in which it is stored after use. Mine dries between uses.
None of my felted soaps I have used at home have ever gotten moldy as far as I could tell. The high pH of soap would tend to inhibit mold spore growth, but of course drying the soap between uses helps as well.

Would the soap bouncing in the dryer dent the soap?

Did you read Sally Gulbrandsen's tutorial on how she does this? There is a link to her tutorial at the end of my article (see the link in my previous post.)

1. There's always later in mine, it depends on what soap you felt I guess!
2. Mine dries, just like normal soap
3. I believe the alkaline properties in the soap keeps the mold at bay. I've never had a moldy felted soap.

Hope this helps!

Wool can certainly mold, even on soap. Wool and soap are both natural products, so they're not immune to decomposition.

That said, mold has not been a problem in my experience with felted soap. I don't make the felt overly thick, however, so it can dry out as quickly as possible.

Thanks all!

My question on the mold is more on the mold on the wool felt. But it seems like this was not a problem either. :)
It is a reasonable question. I had a friend who had an Aran wool sweater with spots of mold after it had been left to stay wet a very long time, so wool can grow mold under the right conditions. Not only was the mold visible, but it was also odiferous, meaning I/we could smell it. He washed it and soaked it in baking soda as I recall, to get rid of the odor, and allowed it to air dry in the sun to bleach the spots. This is a good 3 or 4 decades ago so my memory of all he did to remove the mold may be faulty, but he got rid of it and the spots, too, saving the sweater.

In any case, the wool on the soaps I have used with wool felting have not molded as far as I could tell. I do believe that if one lives in an area where mold is a huge issue already, then it would be a concern as the environment may not allow for complete drying between uses. For example, in a highly humid bathroom without ventilation that has mold growing on the walls; that kind of environment may not be conducive to any soap drying out fully between uses.

Latest posts

Back