Felt Soaps

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Made these today, and like so many things, it's not quite as easy as it looks. Rubbed and rubbed 'til it seemed I would use up half the soap trying to get it woven and tight. Will the wool shrink more as it dries?
The 2 colorful ones are regular wool roving. The small white one was experiment using some fluff we combed out of our yellow Labrador Retriever. Definitely didn't work as well as the real wool (lol).

First felted soaps.jpg

Last edited:
Made these today, and like so many things, it's not quite as easy as it looks. Rubbed and rubbed 'til it seemed I would use up half the soap trying to get it woven and tight.

I would suggest trying a flat wet felt first to get ahead of things and then wrap it around the soap.

See if this is helpful. She uses a bamboo mat, but I've always used a towel. (You can also look up videos of people wet felting with their pets' fur :p)

Here is another video from the same women, but it's a much more intricate design. For those you want a challenge.

I would suggest trying a flat wet felt first to get ahead of things and then wrap it around the soap.

See if this is helpful. She uses a bamboo mat, but I've always used a towel. (You can also look up videos of people wet felting with their pets' fur :p)

Here is another video from the same women, but it's a much more intricate design. For those you want a challenge.

Those videos are fascinating. Thanks for posting them. I've seen felt clothing and other items before but had no idea about the process that created them.

I am terrible at judging sizes and weights when buying online. If i purchase 1lb of roving, how many soaps will i be able to felt just using that one color? Average 5oz barā€¦

Just trying to gauge how much i should buy for experimenting/first couple of gos at it with some ugly soaps i have.

I am terrible at judging sizes and weights when buying online. If i purchase 1lb of roving, how many soaps will i be able to felt just using that one color? Average 5oz barā€¦

Just trying to gauge how much i should buy for experimenting/first couple of gos at it with some ugly soaps i have.
I had no idea how much I'd need and so I bought this inexpensive assortment of 50 colors from Amazon to learn and practice.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071LTSBV2?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details
I've felted about 6 soaps so far and still have lots of wool left. Lucky I've got lots of ugly soaps to practice on :hippo:

I had no idea how much I'd need and so I bought this inexpensive assortment of 50 colors from Amazon to learn and practice.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071LTSBV2?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details
I've felted about 6 soaps so far and still have lots of wool left. Lucky I've got lots of ugly soaps to practice on :hippo:
I got something similar, although only 36 colors, because I'm such an enablement pushover. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BWVC5ZI

I'm not even attempting anything until after the holidays....but when life gets back to what passes for normal, I'm looking forward to trying it.

Latest posts

Back