Feedback recipe

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm curious, what aspects of your soap would you like to change? And are there any aspects you would like to keep?

Everyone has different preferences, so it may be helpful to know what qualities you value most in a batter and in a bar.
I love the feel of the first basic bar, it has a great lather and feels silky on the skin, however it doesn’t seem to last very long so I would like to find something with a better longevity. In the beginning I found it expensive to buy palm as it had to be shipped to Newfoundland , however searching the forum I was lucky to find dahilas post and found a new Canadian supplier that had great prices and shipping cost.

Ok, looks like they moved this to the correct forum and a few things got lost in the move.
I love the feel of the first basic bar, it has a great lather and feels silky on the skin, however it doesn’t seem to last very long so I would like to find something with a better longevity. In the beginning I found it expensive to buy palm as it had to be shipped to Newfoundland , however searching the forum I was lucky to find dahilas post and found a new Canadian supplier that had great prices and shipping cost.
The only oil you're using that won't disintegrate quickly with water is palm oil. I would drop the coconut to 20% as suggested, and shift it to palm. You could use part of that to up the castor by 1-2% if you want to keep the bubbles. If you're willing to use hard butters, you could substitute Cocoa butter up to 5% and/or Shea butter up to 10% for some of your (preferably) Olive or Canola oil. I've heard lard also makes a harder bar, but I haven't soaped with it, so I'm not sure which oils I'd displace for it.
Bear in mind that the more slowly your soap disintegrates/the longer it lasts, the less material it will give you per use to lather with.
Lather boosters, such as replacing water with Aloe Vera Juice or decarbonated beer/alcohol, or additives like sugar, sorbitol, or citric acid might be helpful if you find a harder bar cuts the lather too much.

Lather boosters, such as replacing water with Aloe Vera Juice or decarbonated beer/alcohol, or additives like sugar, sorbitol, or citric acid might be helpful if you find a harder bar cuts the lather too much.
This is an excellent tip, thank you. I'm always looking for additives to make my soap more bubbly, because I LOVE me some lather!

Agree with the suggestions. But also keep in mind that the more soap you make, the less long-lasting you may want them to be :) Otherwise you'll be one of us with way too much soap at home.

does 60 bars in 3 months count as “being one of you” asking for a friend 😂

Ok, looks like they moved this to the correct forum and a few things got lost in the move.

The only oil you're using that won't disintegrate quickly with water is palm oil. I would drop the coconut to 20% as suggested, and shift it to palm. You could use part of that to up the castor by 1-2% if you want to keep the bubbles. If you're willing to use hard butters, you could substitute Cocoa butter up to 5% and/or Shea butter up to 10% for some of your (preferably) Olive or Canola oil. I've heard lard also makes a harder bar, but I haven't soaped with it, so I'm not sure which oils I'd displace for it.
Bear in mind that the more slowly your soap disintegrates/the longer it lasts, the less material it will give you per use to lather with.
Sorry for posting in the wrong area , I am still finding my way around the forum.

thank you for this! I think I will test a few of these. I am actually hoping to add beer to a soap in the near future. Great tips I appreciate all the advice.

Latest posts

Back