Feedback on this recipe Please

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doolittle

Reaction score
Someone just gave me this recipe, and I would like opions on it before I make it.

Coconut Oil (factionated)-(what does that mean) 13oz
Apricot Kernel Oil 3oz
Castor Oil 4oz
Cocoa Butter 1.5oz
Shea Butter 1.5oz

Water 8.7oz
Lye 4.1

I ran it through the soap cal. and this is what it said:

Hardness 60
Cleansing 53
Condition 35
Bubbly 68
Creamy 23
Iodine 35
INS 229

Since I am new at this. I would like some of the seasoned soap maker to give me there input. PLEASE.

I don't use soapcalc, as I much prefer SoapMaker, so I ran it through that and find that your lye and water amounts are too high.

Perhaps you meant to type 1.4 instead of 4.1 for lye?

The recipe looks pretty good, should be nice and hard, moisturizing, with good stable lather.

but the lye amount, according to my calculations should be 1.4 and the water should be 3.5 rather than your amount of 8.7.

Have you made the soap yet?

I plugged your recipe into MMS lye calculator and got the same results. But the water suggested is between 6 to 9 oz. And lye between 4.11 and 4.25 oz. They suggest a 5% to 8% excess fat range.

Woodi's recipe does call for so much less lye. :?

I am new to soapmaking too, so I'm starting to wonder how accurate the lye calculator is from MMS. And also, would it be best to go the middle ground and go with 8 oz water and 4.0 oz lye?

I am curious as to what other experienced soapmakers would say of doolittle's recipe. Does anyone else have a lye calculator they use often? Other then SoapMaker of course. Thanks. :D

Coconut Oil, Fractionated as defined by soaperschoice.com

Fractionated coconut oil contains only the medium-chain triglycerides (MCTs) of coconut oil, making it a liquid and very stable oil. It is produced through the hydrolysis of coconut oil and is then fractionated by steam distillation to isolate the MCTs.

Fractionated coconut oil has indefinite shelf life and is a light, non-greasy, non-staining, liquid oil. It is great for use in massage, toiletries and soap. Fractionated coconut oil is a very good choice for use with essential oils, as it helps carry therapeutic oils under the skin.

I went to soap makers an ran it through there. I got very close to the same results as the recipe calls for. So I don't know if I'm doing something wromg or not. I havn't heard from anyone else yet. But I hope I do soon. I would like to give this recipe a shot. But until I find out if I am doing something wrong I don't want to take the chance.

Thanks for your input.

I plugged your ingred. into Soapcalc and the amount of lye is right on.

Personally I would find that soap too cleansing. For my family's skin

I try to keep my cleansing # at 15 or lower or if I go a little higher then I

superfat at 10%. I usually use only 25 - 30% of CO or those cleansing

oils and the castor would be a little high for me. But it could be the

synergy of those ingred. that might make it a great bar as is. I don't get

to experiment enough, so not sure.

Laurie

Back