Feedback on soleseife - new recipes

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cinnamaldehyde

Reaction score
Making soleseife and trying to branch out and try a few new recipes. I'm having so much fun playing with recipes these days!!!

Here's what I am thinking I will make - modifications on recipes I've tried before. Feedback is appreciated!

Soleseife 1
50% Coconut
15% Crisco (w/ palm)
10% Olive oil pomace
10% Avocado oil
7.5% Castor oil
7.5% Cocoa butter
- superfatted at 10%
- sea salt at 25%

Soleseife 2
35% Coconut
30% Olive oil pomace
20% Crisco (w/ palm)
7.5% Castor oil
7.5% Cocoa butter
- superfatted at 10%
- sea salt at 25%

Keep the coconut oil up. That's all I can add. My two brine batches follows a similar salt bar recipe of 80% coconut oil, 5% castor and 15% Avocado and Olive oils (one oil used in one batch each). I do have to add that I failed to get all of my salt to dissolve completely since I tried 25-50% of my water weight.

I make all my regular CP bars as soleseife, regardless of recipe. It's all in the amount of salt you use -- enough for brine, way less than for a real salt bar. The two are not to be confused.

"...I failed to get all of my salt to dissolve completely since I tried 25-50% of my water weight...."

You won't be able to dissolve more salt than about 25% salt concentration - in other words, 1 part salt to 3 parts of room temperature water. Any more than that, and the salt won't all dissolve.

Last edited:
I make all my regular CP bars as soleseife, regardless of recipe. It's all in the amount of salt you use -- enough for brine, way less than for a real salt bar. The two are not to be confused.

I too add salt to water at 10 to 22% for a lot of recipes. At brine levels it doesn't seem to kill lather and give - or seems to me to give - a more durable bar.

"...I failed to get all of my salt to dissolve completely since I tried 25-50% of my water weight...."

You won't be able to dissolve more salt than about 25% of your water weight - 1 part salt to 3 parts of room temperature water. Any more than that, and the salt won't all dissolve.

Thanks. I did find out the hard way. I'll do 20% since It will offer a little buffer room when I next make this. So much to learn about salt...

you mean 25-30% CO?
Yes, I'm sure that's what she meant. I myself use 30% coconut oil in my soleseifes and 25% salt to make the brine and the lather is fine.

However, this is an old thread. If you have questions regarding soleseifes or other soaps we'll all be happy to help you if you start a new thread and discuss from there :)

Latest posts

Back