Feedback on recipe required

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KimT2au

You bet they die
Reaction score
Hi all

My daughter would like a palm free, vegan soap that is mild and conditioning as she has eczema. I am considering the recipe below. I was also thinking of adding some additional superfat with coconut milk (I am not sure how much at this point) plus using sodium lactate to harden the bars as well as act as a humectant. Feedback would be appreciated.

Edited for appalling grammar

28971-8028bec2390432e54ae6ae9f3984baf7.jpg

Attachments

• idea 5.PNG
    idea 5.PNG
    229.5 KB · Views: 36
I personally would lower the water percentage. With that much soft oils it could stay sticky for a long time with that much water. It's too bad it has to be vegan because lard makes a nice soap for eczema.

I would also lower the amount of coconut oil to 10 - 20 %. Saponified coconut oil strips off our skin's natural oils - which can be irritating.

The 30% canola oil concerns me unless you have high oleic canola oil. You are making a small batch, so the bars don't have to last long. But you might end up with dos sooner rather than later. You could reduce it to 10% and replace the other 20% with olive oil, high oleic sunflower or safflower. Or replace it altogether.

For someone with severe eczema I would not use anywhere near that much CO . I would not go over 15% CO adding the balance to the OO/Canola split. I would also up the Cocoa butter to at least 10% to help with hardening up the bar. It will cut lather, but that cannot always be a concern with eczema. Biggest problem with the recipe is no tallow or palm, so it really needs a longer cure that most soaps. You can add in some sugar to help lather and I am finding adding Sorbitol instead of sugar making a considerable difference in lather.

Another thought for eczema is a salt bar, that is what I usually use. Salt and/or brine bars are the only time I go higher with CO. For this recipe I would go with a 35% Lye Concentration not Water as percent of Oil weight. It is the 3rd choice in Soap Calc, just type in 35% in the Lye Concentration box

Back