February SMF Challenge- Soap dough

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all.

Welcome to the February SMF Challenge- Soap dough!

You must use soap dough for this challenge.

You must manipulate the dough with your hands to create something with it. You can use it to sculpt something, like a bear or a swan and have it be entirely 3-D. You can sculpt something that will be placed on top of your soap. You can use it to create something that will be embedded in a soap, as the entire design or part of the design. You can use it like polymer clay to make an element, or to make a pattern. You can create an entire bar of soap if you would like. The rule in its essence is that you must make something from soap dough and it is free rein!

You may use tools while making your soap, like a rolling pin, picks, skewers, things to make a nice indent, blades to get a clean cut. You may use one of my favorites, a Play-doh Fun Factory. You may use an extruder. You may NOT just press dough into a mold to get a shape and call it a day.

This is extremely free in terms of what you would like to create. Think as creatively as you can and even push out of your comfort zone. Whatever you do, do more than rolling a single color ball to embed in the middle of your soap.

If you have not made your soap dough yet, there is a link to Sorcery Soap's recipe for it. You may be able to use your own recipe by keeping it airtight after pouring for 5-7 days but if you are uncertain, Bee has tried a number of recipes and feels hers is well-vetted. You do NOT have to use her recipe, you just have to use some soap dough. M&P dough is also fine to use.

I do not want to curb anyone's creativity. Sometimes I feel by providing specific examples of something to do, it focuses peoples ideas on that. I'm still going to give some examples but please, dream, imagine, experiment, try, do, fail, and by doing so, you will be brilliant.

You must enter one photo of your process, where ever in the process you feel like, and one photo of the completed dough work. If it is stand alone, that's all. If it goes on top of a soap as decoration, the you will also need a picture of the end result. If it's an embed, you will need to enter a process picture, one of the of the thing before it's embedded and then a pic of the bar.

Some of the caning videos are more complex and time-intensive but they are good for ideas.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sorcery Soaps recipe page:
http://sorcerysoap.com/sorcery-soap-dough-recipe-2/

Lovin' Soaps vegan soap dough page:
http://www.lovinsoap.com/2017/08/a-vegan-and-palm-free-soap-dough-recipe-soap-clay/

M&P soap dough recipe:
https://www.soapqueen.com/bath-and-body-tutorials/melt-and-pour-soap/making-play-dough-soap-2/
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Black Cat soap does a lot of soap dough work. Channel is worth checking out.

This is a tutorial using polymer clay to make flowers but it can be done with soap dough as well:

A nice tutorial on making wood grain with clay, but can be done with soap dough:

Sorcery Soap has many videos on sculpting things from dough, as does Rhonda Scorpio:

Here are some videos on polymer clay canes. The techniques can be useful:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sq8idbcao4c&list=PL-2TBAnigDME9rI49l3AK_7keBq_xjKUV
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cJrzSpspSY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CAKAnWBoao

Entry thread will be open February 19th and close on the 25th. Voting will start the 26th and close on March 2nd. Because it's a short month. I'm stealing a couple days form March for voting.

Last edited:
1. CaraBou - Doh! I need to figure this out!
2. earlene - So exciting!
3. amd - tapping into my inner 3 year old

4. Misschief - pulling on my thinking cap
5. cherrycoke216 - I remember when in kindergarten, my play doh turned out to be a ball looking like turd......Bwahahaha!

Sent from my SM-G532G using Soap Making mobile app

5. cherrycoke216 - I remember when in kindergarten, my play doh turned out to be a ball looking like turd......Bwahahaha!
6. BattleGnome - now to find the time....

7. dibbles - this should be interesting...

I am just sticking this in here because I have to post them but I don't think anyone reads this part anyhow.

PLEASE BE SURE TO READ THIS FIRST (and ALL Rules)-

General Rules:
1. The only members eligible to vote are those with their names on the sign up list - regardless of whether or not you have submitted an entry.

2. This month’s voting will be password locked. Passwords will be PM'ed to registered participants ONLY. So please check your PM's when the voting begins.

3. No posting your entry photos until the entry thread is made. Non entry photos are very welcome!

4. You are allowed to change your entry photo up until the entry thread closes. So if you decide after you post your entry you want another try, and you like the second better, you can change it up until the deadline.

SMF Challenge General Rules
· To enter you must have a minimum of 50 posts and been a member for a month (sorry but no exceptions on this)
· Please add your name to the sign up list if you wish to participate (however, you don’t have to enter a soap at the end if you don’t feel happy with what you have produced)
· The challenge thread should be used to upload pictures of any of your challenge attempts where you can ask for advice and discuss the technique with other members.
· Constructive criticism is welcomed, but please try to keep your comments polite.
· Competition entries must be uploaded to the separate entry thread before the closing date. The thread will open on February 19, 2018 (Please follow the challenge specific rules as to what you need to enter)
· After the closing date February 25, 2018 the winning entry will be chosen using survey monkey and the winner announced on March 2nd or 3rd, 2018. There is no prize attached to this challenge.
· If you fail to make the challenge deadline, you are still welcome to upload your soap onto the thread, but your entry will not be eligible for voting. We still love to see anything you have produced.
· Even though there is no prize, this is still a competition. If your entry is deemed not to fulfil the general rules or the rules specific to the challenge in any way, then you will be given the opportunity to amend your entry. If this is not possible then your entry will not be included in the voting.
· Newbie, Saponista, Lionproncess00, and GalaxyMLP reserve the right to have the final say on whether a soap is eligible for for voting.

8. jewels621 - I’m only in if there really is a turd ball category.

9. SaltedFig - Playing the doe

Last edited:
Sorry I forgot that part. I'm a bit frazzled. I added it to the top as well.

You must enter one photo of your process, where ever in the process you feel like, and one photo of the completed dough work. If it is stand alone, that's all. If it goes on top of a soap as decoration, the you will also need a picture of the end result. If it's an embed, you will need to enter a process picture, one of the of the thing before it's embedded and then a pic of the bar.

Thank you, newbie. All is good. Frazzled right now is fine, no worries! I figured you'd want some element of the process, but sometimes one gets so into the process that taking photos doesn't even enter the consciousness until it is past that point. So I thought it best to ask.

10. SoapAddict- count me in.

11. Primrose

Sorry I couldn't manage to add the proper list. On my phone and struggling

I didn't manage to have a trial run with soap dough but I still hope to get something together in time

10. SoapAddict- count me in.
11. Primrose - There ya go!

Back