Quantcast

February SMF Challenge Entry Thread- Soap Stones

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

jules92207

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Omg these soaps are amazing! As I minored in geology this challenge was right up my alley, but then I got that stupid cold/flu thing and have been sick almost two weeks. [emoji24]

I am loving the entries though! So much creativity in this group. [emoji173]️

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
The results are in!

First place goes to
Midnightsoaper

Second place has a three way tie:
Szaza
Terri E
Dawni

Third place goes to:
SaltedFig

Thank you so much for participating and I hope everyone had some fun!!! All the entries were exciting to see.

Meena

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The results are in!

First place goes to
Midnightsoaper

Second place has a three way tie:
Szaza
Terri E
Dawni

Third place goes to:
SaltedFig

Thank you so much for participating and I hope everyone had some fun!!! All the entries were exciting to see.
Yay!! Congratulations, winners and entrants!!!

Alien

Reaction score
Ok! My 8th soap batch is my challenge entry. It was a lot of fun, so thank you for the great idea, @newbie!

I love rocks and crystals, and own at least 100 different ones. I really like seeing how they sometimes form together in matrices, and my entry is meant to suggest large, mostly raw pieces of chrysocolle with malachite.

ETA: Reference pic
View attachment 36653

Here it is before the cuts.
View attachment 36474

First test stone. Oh yeah, this is gonna work! Woo hoo! :D
View attachment 36411

Here are the other soap stones I made by cutting the loaf in a variety of ways, and hand-moulding the pieces.

I'm torn which to choose for voting: SO likes this first rounded one, and I like the second tallish piece. Or should I enter the plate with several pieces? Aaarrghhh!
Maybe you could decide on one for me, @newbie ?

View attachment 36471 View attachment 36470View attachment 36473 View attachment 36472
These look VERY stone-like.Bravo!

Alien

Reaction score
Wow!
Three stones for the price of one! In my efforts to achieve a 'granite' look, I have managed to get a 'travertine' top, a 'marble' bottom, and (what i wanted in the first place) a granite centre. Am I selling it to you yet? Nah - didn't think so :)
Used Black raspberry and Vanilla scent which is DIVINE, but it caused the batter to yellow, whereas I thought it would go more of a tan and thus contribute to the colour of the granite - maybe it will in time?
To achieve the granite look I passed all the colours in succession though a colander ( messy stuff!)
Anyway, here are my granite slabs:
View attachment 36498 View attachment 36499 View attachment 36500
Wow! I want a countertop of this beautiful granite!

Alien

Reaction score
I have a cabochon mold, so I set out to make little decorative travel/handsoap cabochons. They aren't very practical because they're pretty tiny (only the large oval would work, the smaller ones were just using up leftover soap dough). But they're stones :D Three kinds of turquoise, pinolith, and spiderweb obsidian (the malachite was too intimidating!). All are made with soap dough & micas/AC.

Here are the inspiration photos I used...

And my small soap cabochons...
These are AWESOME !