February Challenge- Soap Stones

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi everyone! Although I am far too new here and don't really have the supplies to attempt something like this, I was very taken by these rainbow obsidian images I came across and thought maybe they would inspire someone for this challenge :)

images
images

First probable fail in the mold. One of my problems with the fissure technique is that I avoid misbehaving FOs. I used Cedar and Saffron which moves, but isn’t horrible. The unscented reserved batter got too thick to pour into the cracks. I tried shoving some in with a popsicle stick.

I might have to break the Sea Witch out of the naughty corner even though it rices and hope for the best. Or try clove EO. Another day though.

I might have to break the Sea Witch out of the naughty corner even though it rices and hope for the best.

Sea Witch you say? Sorry off topic....but I've been looking for an oceany FO to use for the Sea Witch (Ursula) themed soap I want to make for my daughter. This sounds perfect :D (well, except the ricing part lol)

I suppose you could separate your infill batter and then SB the living daylights out of the base before pouring. The base should then set up enough to break a bit without your infill getting too thick. It may not be hard (the base) but should not take kindly to being bent.

Sea Witch you say? Sorry off topic....but I've been looking for an oceany FO to use for the Sea Witch (Ursula) themed soap I want to make for my daughter. This sounds perfect :D (well, except the ricing part lol)
The Sea Witch I have is from Fragrance Buddy. It does rice, and I can’t remember how easy/hard it was to stick blend out. If I end up using it, I’ll let you know.

@Meena I can't wait to see what you produce. I'm going to sign up so that I can vote. Excited!!! At this very moment I do not qualify but I will in 3 days ;)

Well I'm so new I probably don't have enough posts to enter, but this looks fun so I 'm going to give it a try just for the experience.

You meet the length of time, but don't have 50 posts yet. You have 6 more days to get 50, though. :)

ETA: You too, @LaToya ! and Thanks! :)

First probable fail in the mold. One of my problems with the fissure technique is that I avoid misbehaving FOs. I used Cedar and Saffron which moves, but isn’t horrible. The unscented reserved batter got too thick to pour into the cracks. I tried shoving some in with a popsicle stick.

I had a similar experience today as well. My reserve batter thickened up and I ended frosting my main color. It also didn't break they way I wanted, so I "helped" it along with a skewer. We'll see how it looks tomorrow.

The unscented reserved batter got too thick to pour into the cracks. I tried shoving some in with a popsicle stick.

My reserve batter thickened up and I ended frosting my main color. It also didn't break they way I wanted, so I "helped" it along with a skewer.
Same here! Looks like we all encountered the same issues. My problem is I don't have FOs, accelerating or not so I made two separate batches, one for the base and another for the fissure probably 45mins apart. Could be my recipe, my inexperience with CP, waiting too long to make my fissures, or something I can't even say I did lol but my base batter was difficult to "crack" and my fissure batter thickened up while I was getting the cracks to my liking.

I'm gonna see if I can do this again otherwise it's time for plan B lol

I'm home sick today so I'm working on my challenge soap. With 3 out of 6 people at work sick last week, I'm not surprised I caught something. I'm hoping it's the cold that two people had and not the flu, which knocked out another co-worker all last week.

I'm home sick today so I'm working on my challenge soap. With 3 out of 6 people at work sick last week, I'm not surprised I caught something. I'm hoping it's the cold that two people had and not the flu, which knocked out another co-worker all last week.

Seemed like you've been a little quiet lately, and now we know why! Get well soon, Ev!!

1. Misschief - I REALLY want to try this!
2. Primrose - Wow what a cool tutorial!
3. Dawni - I think I can finally have a go at a challenge
4. Hendejm - I am going to plan better this month!
5. Geniash - So excited to try this!
6. Meena - This challenge may be one that I'm actually capable of fulfilling as a still-new soaper, heh heh
7. zanzalawi- it is my destiny :p
8. dibbles - messing with my soap on purpose - this will be interesting
9. SaltedFig - Stone Soap Rocks
10. KiwiMoose - Oh alright then. I have an idea for this, but I can't promise I will receive my supplies I need to do it before the entries close. Keep yer fingers crossed for me that they arrive.
11. earlene - want to get back in the groove
12. MarnieSoapien - I think I can, I think I can.
13.Terri E -I love soapy rocks! :)))))))))
14. midnightsoaper - this is my 50th post :D
15. szaza - the stones are calling me!
16. SideDoorSoaps - I really wasn’t gonna but now I NEED to try something that I’ve been wanting to do for awhile
17. Jules92207 - good challenge to get back into the groove since I’ve been MIA a while [emoji4]

Back