February 2017 SMF Soap Challenge- Ebru Soaps

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like that one too, Howie! The layering idea makes for more interesting use of the bar as well, don't you think? Oh, your patience in pouring so many dots so precisely is something I admire.

I am very heavy handed with micas and I think I used 8 or 9 colors across a range, which makes it pretty colorful. Not everyone likes that much going on in a bar, but that's a style thing. I pour thin lines of each color twice (so 16-18 lines) across the slab, then zig zag across the lines from side to side, but not super close, then zig zag across those lines from top to bottom. (You can pour the first lines of soap across the short length of the mold and then zig zag from top to bottom and then side to side depending on which way you want your thin lines to run.) You get very very fine lines of color that way. From that Taiwan look, you can finish with another swirl to get your final pattern. The trick is doing it all with your soap still pretty fluid.

Posting my only attempt here. While I did follow the process for peacock and DNA swirls there isn't enough space in single cavity molds to truest count as ebru in my opinion. I definitely won't get a chance to soap in the next 24 hours to make an actual entry.

My highly experimental 75% lard, 25% olive with green tea scented green and honey scented white. First pic was right after pour. Second pic, after CPOP and three days before it was firm enough to unmold. The third pic was from a few days ago with a hefty dose of ash to separate the colors. I was hoping to play with black tea and maple for my next attempt but that might have to wait for March's challenge.

IMG_0213.jpg

IMG_0217.jpg

IMG_0251.jpg

Things definitely did not go as planned for me. A combination of trembling hands (hyperthyroid) and natural born clumsiness did not work well.

First attempt was waves. The lines were too heavy, I wasn't methodical enough with the swirling with the chopstick, combined with trembling hands. It was mostly meant as a warm up though.

16832081_10154097828460356_2627753863697849309_n.jpg

The day-lily attempt was going to be the nicest until I dropped a beaker in it and ruined the pattern. I tried scooping out the spoiled pattern and leaving the rest, then redoing that section, but it wound up discolored and it just wasn't quite the same. Still, it is soap.

16683904_10154097828570356_7282730934380299056_n.jpg

I had a couple others, but they at least are in decent enough shape where I might submit one if I don't have time for one more attempt before submission deadline. I know my soaps do not compare to the fantastic ones submitted, but I want to at least say I participated.

Your daylily soap is beautiful, leilaninoel. All that's lacking in your photo of it is the tool you used. Perhaps if you include a separte photo of the tool, you could still submit it. I wonder what lionprincess says.

The day-lily attempt was going to be the nicest until I dropped a beaker in it and ruined the pattern. I tried scooping out the spoiled pattern and leaving the rest, then redoing that section, but it wound up discolored and it just wasn't quite the same. Still, it is soap.

16683904_10154097828570356_7282730934380299056_n.jpg

Yes, ebru flowers with the leaves qualifies in my opinion!
Edit to add, we will need a pic of the swirl tool used as well and as was mentioned if you do decide to submit your soap.

ANNOUNCEMENT:
The thread closes at midnight tonight. In the case of last minute submissions, I will open the survey as soon as I can check and add any last minute submissions Wednesday morning. I will PM ALL who signed up the password for the survey shortly.

Things definitely did not go as planned for me. A combination of trembling hands (hyperthyroid) and natural born clumsiness did not work well.

The day-lily attempt was going to be the nicest until I dropped a beaker in it and ruined the pattern.

Gosh we are hard on ourselves. I love the day lily. Great idea and execution. No one would know it wasn't exactly as you intended if you hadn't said so. :mrgreen:

But your soap is so beautiful to look at! I'm in a quandary, because I really like the concept of the soap I made, but the execution needs a lot more practice and the one I made is a bit of an abomination. So either I carve out time to try again or everyone will just have to view the one that didn't quite work out right. And squint. That seems to help.

I can see the larger hearts!

The little hearts are perfect though because when you cut it into cakes you won't see the larger hearts anyway. Unless you did a smaller red heart group in the middle of each soap? Anyway it is a wonderful idea.

Posting my only attempt here. While I did follow the process for peacock and DNA swirls there isn't enough space in single cavity molds to truest count as ebru in my opinion. I definitely won't get a chance to soap in the next 24 hours to make an actual entry.

My highly experimental 75% lard, 25% olive with green tea scented green and honey scented white. First pic was right after pour. Second pic, after CPOP and three days before it was firm enough to unmold. The third pic was from a few days ago with a hefty dose of ash to separate the colors. I was hoping to play with black tea and maple for my next attempt but that might have to wait for March's challenge.

These should have been submitted. Just lovely.
Quickly do it now!

BattleGnome, you managed to get some beautiful swirl patterns into individual soaps! Whenever I have leftover batter and pour it into my little yogurt cups I will try to swirl something together but it usually becomes a muddled mess. I love that shade of green, too.

leilaninoel, that day lily is gorgeous! I do not see where the beaker was dropped, and think the swirling of the leaves and flowers themselves are outstanding.

penelopejane, thanks for your kind words! I did put a "big" heart in the center of each bar, but mostly because I love symmetry and couldn't bear the thought of having heart fragments scattered about after I cut it. :)

Eek! I have less than 6 hours! I spent the weekend in a nearby town attending a major film festival, with no spare time for soaping. I will try to get in a batch after dinner tonight though I'm not real optimistic I'll get anything I can enter. I have a repeating pattern in mind and need to stick with the plan so it doesn't come out random!

Loving the pics so far -- both in the entry thread and here. Nice job guys.

Your welcome earlene. Ebru has such a wide range of choices, I find making a decision the hardest part of ebru soaps lol!

The thread is closed. The link to the survey is posted on the challenge thread. If you signed up, you can vote. I pm'd everyone who signed up the survey password yesterday. If for some reason you didn't receive the password, or it isn't working, let me know and I will fix the problem.

Thanks again everyone!

Voted. Sorry I didn't get around to making an entry. I spent the month procrastinating about a new mold size. :headbanging:

I've been using a boot box for a slab mold for quite a while now and am really considering buying and actual slab mold now, so I totally get that. It's in my shopping cart, where it will probably stay for several days or longer while I continue to think about if I want to spend the money or not.

I've been using a boot box for a slab mold for quite a while now and am really considering buying and actual slab mold now, so I totally get that. It's in my shopping cart, where it will probably stay for several days or longer while I continue to think about if I want to spend the money or not.

Earlene,
It has been MONTHS of procrastination for me. I have a B&B log and t&s mold and I have been canvassing everyone about which is better. I have about 50/50 results which is absolutely no help. I made a slab of soap in the bottom of my log and cut it into soaps allowing for shrinkage of the molds I've been considering. I have 5 soaps on the kitchen bench. DH is looking at me strangely. I have an order due in Nov for Castile that I have to make now!

I bought a mold from the internet two days ago (could take 4 weeks to arrive) that I am hopeful about. :headbanging:

Back