February 2017 SMF Soap Challenge- Ebru Soaps

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually, I think the pattern I put up requires a larger surface that my slab would provide, but I still like to try to unwind how something was done. Susan Pogeny has many wonderful patterns; I love her stuff.

I've seen many videos of nail polish art that are indeed ebru done with polish and they are a great resource for patterns, how to do then and color combos. I love watching them.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7sxj0w5R24[/ame]

I love this one with the matte and glossy black. I wonder if that is at all achievable in soap?

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7nkx71iP7E[/ame]

I love this one with the matte and glossy black. I wonder if that is at all achievable in soap?

A black ghost swirl would be awesome!

All this time I've been thinking of soap swirls as ebru in 3D. Limiting the pattern to the top feels kind of intimidating, maybe because it is visible in the process so I expect more from myself.

Generally I'm most comfortable as a lurker, but I actually have enough minimum posts to be eligible to participate this time! I would love to give it a "s-whirl"! ;)

1. Soapprentice- it's never too early to try.
2. toxikon - first challenge, woo!
3. earlene - I've been wanting to try this
4. Newbie- infinite options lead to soap overload and much fun.
5. Mx6inpenn - have 2 ideas in mind already
6. PenelopeJane - I'll give it a swirl, maybe. It looks tough!
7. BattleGnome - maybe I'll find time this month
8. Dibbles - this has been on my 'to try' list for a very long time
9. CaraBou - time to get elegantly artsy!

This is the current list, Leilaninoel. You just copy and paste it into your post and then add yourself to the bottom. I'd do it for you, but I couldn't tell if you were still considering or not.

Shoot, somehow I lost my post. I really like that shiny black on matte black look, too. So pretty. And in soap it would be much less messy than when doing nails. I've done the marbling technique with my nails and found the mess involved and the clean-up to be a big pain. So after a couple of times quit bothering with it. But since we can wear gloves and don't have to put Scotch tape on our fingers when soaping, the mess won't be anywhere near as cumbersome. At least that's what I am expecting. :)

newbie, I think you might be able to get that sparkly effect a couple of ways. I don't have a lot of experience using sparkly micas, but that was my first thought, alternating a sparkly mica with a matte oxide for a couple of the colors. Then while browsing ebru soaps on the web, I found mention of mixing sparkles with glycerin and it leaving a sparkle in the end product. See Shenanigan Soap's description of how she did her entry for the Turkish Ebru Design Challenge in 2015. It looks like a possibility.

This is the current list, Leilaninoel. You just copy and paste it into your post and then add yourself to the bottom. I'd do it for you, but I couldn't tell if you were still considering or not.

Thanks, Newbie! I'm definitely the newb in this scenario - I appreciate your guidance. :)

10. LeilaniNoel - Finally eligible to participate! Sounds like fun!

11. KristaY - I hope I can find my ebru artsy side!

I have a practice attempt in the mold right now but I have another question. Are cavity molds considered too small to display the design or are cavity molds allowed? (no picture just in case these turn out to be eligible/my best attempt)

I finally broke down and ordered a slab mold today. A few times I've done a shallow design in a small loaf mold but so far I've never used a true slab, not even homemade.

Well, it's time to start living!

I bought the 6" square silicone from BB because it was the smallest I could find. Or did I miss something? I consider every design a risk so really prefer an itty bitty. It would be wonderful to have a bigger easel but oil is money and I sure don't need more ugly soap :p

newbie, as for the design in post 12 - could they be undulating both horizontaly and vertically? I am probably way off but I do see patterns horizontally as well as in the more obvious vertical direction.

Last edited:
I used a small flat rate usps box. I'll use it again for my next try. The first 2 attempts are soaps for each of my 2 youngest kids. They will be cut small for their little hands, so I will get 6 bars from each batch. If I need to try a 3rd, I'll use a larger mold and use dragon's blood, because even if its ugly, it smells so good, I'll use it up anyway! :)

My 1st attempt was an epic fail... it looked decent when wet and in mould... today, when I removed it, the soap didn't gel completely, the parts that gelled looked fine but the ones that didn't, look horrendous.. a colour bled :(.. I will give the challenge another try in a week and see.. how is everyone doing?

I love Susan pogany's work - there is a lot of it on Pinterest and I have pinned some in the past. I can't work out how she creates some of the beautiful designs!!!!

12. Mommycarlson - can't believe I'm going to try this!!!

12. Mommycarlson - can't believe I'm going to try this!!!
13. HowieRoll - so many options here, my head may spin off its axis.

Now that I've done my second attempt and know I prefer it to the first, I'll share my reallllly bright Sugar and Spice and Everything Nice. It's a not good fluer de lis swirl (didn't get enough mixing of pink and green in the swirl itself) with flowers on top, 1 for each bar. I couldn't get a great pic with lighting at that time either. Scented with NG Cinnabon. My 4 yo daughter loves it and since its for her I guess that's what counts.

20170204_230732.jpg

I find the hardest part is that the whole batter moves when you draw a tool through it rather than just the one area you want to work on so it's hard not to ruin things.

I find the hardest part is that the whole batter moves when you draw a tool through it rather than just the one area you want to work on so it's hard not to ruin things.

Completely agreed. I would also like to add that another difficult part is when you are up close and personal with the slab, 100% focused on the design and agonizing over every move, and don't notice when your sleeve goes into the top as you work. Twice. That has been a challenge, too.

Back