February 2017 SMF Challenge Entry Thread- Ebru Soaps

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Entries can now be submitted! Please post ONLY your entries on this thread. Any other comments/compliments or discussion should be left on the original challenge thread.

Please post a picture of your soap in the mold with your swirl tool.

Multiple pictures are always welcome. Any information you wish to give on your colors or fragrances are also welcomed.

This thread will close on February 21, 2017 at 11:59 pm CST.

At the rate I'm going, I will post now or I'll forget in the bustle of the week.

I used 8th and Ocean for the FO. I tried a number of patterns but I found this pattern and the colors the most cheerful. It also seems appropriate to post it on Valentine's Day as it looks like a series of hearts.

Challenge FB.jpg

challenge.jpg

I planned 2 soaps, 1 for each of my youngest children. My daughter's is called Sugar, Spice and Everything Nice. I always wondered what some little girl's brother did to result in the "Snips and snails and puppy dog tails" phrase. I used a Taiwan swirl, then French curls (sometimes called snail swirl, appropriately) for each bar. I much prefer the name Mudpies and Bubblegum Kisses for this one and scented with NG Bubble Luscious.

The whole soap including the tools used. The Taiwan swirl was done with the wooden spoon, the French curls with the toothpick.
T454OJk.jpg

A close-up. (This is my preference for the entry photo if appropriate.)
tNmZ9l4.jpg

My favorite bar, cleaned up a bit.
BtuSQKP.jpg

Last edited:
My first attempt at swirling ANYTHING! I should've stopped SBing a few minutes earlier because it went from light to heavy trace super fast. I had to pour and swirl at super-speed! I'm just happy I got any swirl at all. Hopefully it counts as a DNA/Ebru swirl? Either way, it was definitely fun to jump out of my comfort zone and I'm looking forward to the cut.

qlVQsqT.jpg

2NQ5lPR.jpg

Additives: sodium lactate, bentonite clay, titanium dioxide, micas, activated charcoal, WSP Love Spell fragrance.

Last edited:
After a couple of too thick for an actual water-style ebru (the batter got too thick), I went with a barely past emulsion batter without fragrance. This is the top added later to the previous tries so I wouldn't end up with a lot of extra soaps. The colors I used were all micas from Steph's Micas & More. I'll show the underlying layers (rejected) in the main thread.

The tools I used were a chopstick and a decorative hair comb, seen pictured below.

I will also add at least one cut soap photo when I finish cutting & trimming. But in case I get distracted and don't get around to it before the deadline, this can be my entry photo.

Ebru%20Soap%202017Feb18%20006.jpg

Below is the cut soap. Sadly, most of the green has faded.

Ebru%20Soap%20Bars%202017Feb18%20001.jpg

Last edited:
The idea behind this soap is pixelation. There are small individual hearts as "pixels," then two adjacent small heart tails come together to (loosely) form another heart, and then several of the small individual hearts come together to form a larger dark pink heart pattern. The latter is where some squinting and imagination might come into play, as the large hearts aren't quite as defined as I'd like them to be.

I used the skewer shown in the top photo. The colors were made from activated charcoal, red oxide, and titanium dioxide, and it is scented with a blend of lime, litsea, and eucalyptus EOs.

Thanks, lionprincess, for hosting this challenging challenge!!

P1150744.jpg

P1150749.jpg

Actually made from leftover batter from my last day-lily attempt. Came out the cleanest looking so far. DNA swirl in a loaf mold (slab thickness for the batter, as per instructions). Stainless steel chopstick for swirling. Colors were mostly micas from NS. Scent was NS Uluru Type.

16825935_10154098904575356_19004704287705119_o.jpg

I'm just glad I managed to get something submitted before the deadline. :)

Latest posts

Back