February 2016 Fair

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

janzo

Reaction score
Well I finally booked a fair at the end of February. I am very nervous but I need to put myself out there and gauge the response to my products. I know we are our own worst critics so need to believe in myself and the products I make. I have had good feedback from everyone who has tested my soaps etc but now we try the general public who have to pay for them!

I want details when you get done, you know...full details! But know I am rooting for you!

Susie, not sure if you know - Aussie slang for your last sentence. (Irishlass knows now, that I told her).

Root = I now feel a bit embarrassed whenever I use the word root because in Australia it is both a verb and a noun used in place of f***. So I won’t say to a friend who is playing a game, “I’m rooting for you.” I’ll say “I’m cheering for you” instead. Even saying “root beer” seems to have taken on a whole new meaning…

Thank you everyone for your support. I will be getting your opinions on table set up etc, so be prepared!

I'm assuming you've been to craft fairs before as a shopper, so think of which booths attracted you and why. What was it about them that made them stand out. Use that info when you design your own display. Remember, you've got lots of competition for attention, so it's no time to blend in. Best of luck! :grin:

Just go out there and have fun!

Thank you everyone for your support. I will be getting your opinions on table set up etc, so be prepared!
I wish I had taken a picture of the first time I set up my display. It took me 5 minutes to set my table and soaps. I had no table cloth, no banner, and only 4 different kinds of soaps. The table was old and the color green. I set up at a flea market and I was at the end of the row. I did have a canopy that I bought used. I had never been to a craft fair.....ever; so you can imagine how I must have looked.
My thought was that I need to get out no matter how I looked, and I knew I looked bad.
That wasnt my goal. My goal was.....that if I can sell one soap today, here, with what I have......I can make it work. As I was setting up my little 2x2 (I only had four soaps) table, one of the vendors came by and asked what I was selling......sold him 2 bars of soap on the spot. I sold a total of 4 bars of soap that day.
I can sell 100 bars of soap today......but I will always look back on that day...I will never be able to sell as many soaps as I did that one day at my first flea market because...for me....selling 4 was like selling a million.
Like shunt said, go out and have fun; take pictures and compare your growth to next time. :clap:

Back