Feathered ITP swirl

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is my ITP swirl. This was what I made for the winter swap, scented with a blend of Rose and other florals with alpine frost. Colored with Merlot sparkle mica from BB.

image.jpg

Wow! I just found your blog today by accident and was admiring your soaps (the blue tiger stripes esp)...

Thank you everyone! :) I'm sorry I couldn't answer earlier... I am on vacation and have been travelling.
For this type of swirls I found that very thin trace doesn't give very good results. I could get the nicest feathers when my soap batter was between light and medium trace.
I didn't use a hanger or any other tool for swirling. What I did was pouring the soap mixture into one spot of the mold. I believe in this case you'll almost always get feathered swirls. It's possible to get them by pouring back and forth, but that's trickier.

I call that a static pour and you can get somewhat different effects if you pour over the center of the mold and don't move, versus pouring at the end of the mold. This looks like a pour from the end of the mold. Pouring in the middle seems to result in more lines/layers and pouring from the end gives more feathering. You can get huge variability depending on the trace and how you load your colors which makes me love ITP pours and all they can do.

I like your pours with the thicker traces the best. The color combo on the last one is wonderful.

This almost looks like something that fumble-fingered me could do. I've got to get some batches made and one in particular would look really nice with this feathered ITP swirl. Thank you, Fata and Newbie, for sharing enough details so even I can figure it out -- I really appreciate that. Give me a science or math problem any day over planning a swirl. I feel very inept at the fancy stuff.

I'm for sure going to try this. I've only recently begun venturing into ITP swirls and find I really like the way the colors ripple in the soap. Beautiful soaps, so pretty and wispy.

Swirly Practice Question

Is there a way to practice the Swirls without wasting soap on the flops? I want to practice to avoid the ugly soap. So far all my soaps have been: color free and scent free. Practical for my friend with all the allergies, but it's getting boring!

Slightly off topic question: Anyone ever try HP without a SB? An interesting adventure!

Is there a way to practice the Swirls without wasting soap on the flops? I want to practice to avoid the ugly soap.

You can practice using cake batter to some extent. Mix it all up, portion some out and add colors, and then pour and swirl in the cake pan of your choice. Then you can eat all your mistakes! It won't be exactly like soap batter, but it will give you an idea.

Latest posts

Back